“Great stay for a girl's weekend!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Resort Pinewood Park

You added Clarion Resort Pinewood Park to your Saves list
Clarion Resort Pinewood Park
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   201 Pinewood Park Dr., North Bay, Ontario P1B 8J8, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in North Bay
North Bay, Canada
“Great stay for a girl's weekend!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

You can see the hotel is a little older but it was still very clean. Check-in was quick, staff polite and smiling.
We stayed in the Pink Room at the Clarion. 2 queen beds really comfortable, lot of pillows!
We enjoyed a really great hot stone massage at the spa. Professional Therapist that took the time to talk with us before the massage and let us relax during it!

Location may not be the best, it's out of town, but it's quiet.
There is a Tim Hortons right in front and a gas station, convenient!
Overall great experience!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
ClarionGuestServices, Manager at Clarion Resort Pinewood Park, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Hi Kacydi,
Thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us in the Pink Room. We are very happy to have such a room supporting such a worthy cause (Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation by way of the CIBC Run for the Cure).
You mentioned our Spa professionals. They really are great and make up part of the amazing staff we have here.
Thanks again for the review. We hope to see you again.
Jake Lacourse
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Sudbury, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

The room had a king size bed with a two person jacuzzi and fireplace. The bed was comfortable and the fireplace was really nice. The tub was disappointing in that it was small and the jets were barely functioning. The room needs work in that the wallpaper was curling at the seams, the decor was cheesy and outdated,bad carpet patches and no hot water in the morning. As for the restaurant, dinner was ok but the buffet was not. The sausage and waffles were hard, this despite soaking the waffles with syrup. The eggs were tasteless. There were food splatters on the wall. All in all the stay was ok but I probably wouldn't stay there again and definitely will never eat there again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ClarionGuestServices, Manager at Clarion Resort Pinewood Park, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear azildagirl,
Thanks for writing a review of our hotel. We love our Fireplace Jacuzzi Suites which is why we am glad you pointed out that the tub's jets weren't up to snuff. Thanks to you, we have initiated a review of not only the tub in the room you were in, but also the other 10 rooms with Jacuzzi tubs.
The hot water issue was due to a circulation pump that had quit on us overnight and we do sincerely apologize for that.
As for your restaurant experience, we have passed on your comment to both the Restaurant Manager as well as the Chef to action.
Again thank you for your business and I hope that you'll give us another try. In fact, I'd like to invite you to reach out to me directly to take care of your next booking.
Jake Lacourse
Forest, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We came up north to tour Nipissing University as my oldest will be attending there in the fall. It was only a 15 minute drive through town to the University. The old closed section of motel, and construction equipment out front made me worried at first that I had chosen poorly when we first arrived. However, for a reasonable rate, we got a good-sized, clean, poolside room with two queen beds. There would have been plenty of room for a cot if we had needed one, in fact a couch would have been nice. I found the bed hard and was really wishing for a pillow top, but pillows were of assorted firmness. Refrigerators and microwaves are available for a reasonable additional fee and promptly delivered, but you have to know to ask for them. We enjoyed the heated outdoor pool and the indoor hot tub.
The staff is amazing, very friendly, professional and accommodating. I left my purse in the restaurant at breakfast and front desk staff made sure we got it back as soon as we returned later that day. Restaurant food and service was really good if a little on the expensive side. Cathy was particularly friendly and helpful. Across the road is a Tim Horton's and Subway. I suspect we will be back quite often over the next 5 years so I am glad to have found this hotel to return to.

Room Tip: I found it kind of weird to have to walk through the spa reception to get to my room, but if you are...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
ClarionGuestServices, Manager at Clarion Resort Pinewood Park, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Hi Kneedavacay,
Thanks for reviewing the Clarion Resort Pinewood Park and leaving a Traveler Tip. We are proud that we have such a great working relationship with Nipissing University and have been "home away from home' for many parents visiting just like you.
Because we're going to be such great friends over the next 5 years, I'd like to extend to you an invitation to reach out me when you are in next so that I can officially make your acquaintance and thank you in person for your business.
All the best and safe travels,
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed here as part of a stay-and-ski package in February. The skiing was lovely - no complaints there, but the hotel left a bit to be desired.

The room was a bit dark and wasn't fancy, but it was clean. The outdoor pool and access to the whirlpool were fun at the end of the day.

Our problems started when it came time to eat. The menu that you get with the package is an extremely limited one (wish I'd known that when we booked)- and it's the same every night, so you'll find no variety if you stay more than one evening. The rest of the diners in the restaurant were having steak or salmon and we had the options like chicken parm and pasta...a real let down and really makes you feel like second-class citizens.

There was also almost no accommodation made for dietary restrictions - my partner has a milk allergy and when we brought this up, as everything on the menu has milk or cheese in it, we were told "sorry, that's what comes with the package." luckily our breakfast server on our last day was kind enough to get the kitchen to make us milk free eggs. Also, our coffee milk was mixed with cream in the carafe (gross) and we were told if we wanted anything other than a single coffee with breakfast it was extra. The menu the non-package guests ordered from seemed nice, but ours honestly wasn't worth the money and seemed to feel cheaper at every turn.

The gentleman we spoke to on check out was nice and did try to rectify the situation after the fact, but the manager I spoke with in the evening after our second problematic meal promised to call me to follow-up and never did...

Overall, the hotel is nice enough, but save your money and eat elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I stayed at the Clarion recently for business meetings, and have stayed there a couple of times in the past. Though it's on the edge of town (i.e., not walking distance to bars or restaurants), the Clarion has a lot to offer on-premises: simply furnished but clean rooms, good meeting facilities, a heated swimming pool (important in February), and surprisingly good food. In the winter, snowmobilers can drive right up to the front of the hotel, and tool around on the trail leading through the golf course out back. The staff were consistently friendly and helpful. Someday maybe I'll see the Clarion when it's not -30 degrees at night!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
ClarionGuestServices, Manager at Clarion Resort Pinewood Park, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear Jonathan R,
I appreciate the time you've taken to review our hotel and make reference to all the great things happening at the Pinewood.
We're like a 1 stop shop for our travelers and value every single one.
Thanks again for the review!
Dorset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed one night while doing the RAP snowmobile tour. It was easy to get to by sled and you can park your snowmobile in a safe place. The staff were very good. The hotel has a lovely Northern feel to it. The restaurant was a little pricey but the food was very good. We found the bed a little hard, but others may find them just fine. The only problem was when we woke in the morning we discovered a used band-aid in the bed. Which of course means the sheets were not changed from the previous guests. Yuck!!! But other then the sheets (which is a big thing) we still enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Karen J,
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel while on the RAP. We're glad you chose our hotel as one of your stayover points for the OFSC's signature snowmobile ride.
I'm a little perplexed by the band aid comment, as we use a triple sheeting program, which sees the beds completely stripped, washed and redone after every guest stay, but I have certainly brought this up to our Housekeeping team.
Thanks again for staying with us. There is still plenty of Snowmobile Season left, so I hope to see you back here very soon.
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Truck is broken down at Lewis motors called for a room they managed to squeeze me in for two days nice rooms and good food in the restaurant what I liked most about my stay here is you can have a real good meal with a cold beer with out having to leave the building unlike voyager inn where if your hungry you have to go out and get it yourself or pay outrageous delivery fees. Keep up the good work clarion if I break down again in northbay I'll make sure to stay at your facility

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hi billy642093,
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. We've had a great relationship with Lewis Motors and sincerely appreciate your business.
We're really happy to have an in-house restaurant and lounge where, like you said, one can get a great meal and a cold pint.
Thanks again and looking forward to seeing you again, but hopefully not on a breakdown.
Assistant General Manager

Been to Clarion Resort Pinewood Park? Share your experiences!