“Nice Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Resort Pinewood Park

Save Saved
You added Clarion Resort Pinewood Park to your Saves list
Clarion Resort Pinewood Park
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   201 Pinewood Park Dr., North Bay, Ontario P1B 8J8, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #11 of 26 hotels in North Bay
St. Catharines, Canada
“Nice Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Have stayed at this location, various different times throughout the years, the building is dated and does need some retro-fitting, but it is still clean and a great place to stay. They have a great reasturant on site, a golf course, pool, etc. They also have a very unique model train display in their lobby which is very neat to see. The staff are always helpful and very polite! If your just passing through it is great as it is just off of highway 11 and your right back on the highway when you leave in no time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ClarionGuestServices, Manager at Clarion Resort Pinewood Park, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Jim Y,
Thank you for the kind review. We pride ourselves on being the very best and cleanliness is an absolute must for us. I will certainly pass on your comments to the rest of the team and appreciate the time you took to put together the review.
All the best and I look forward to your next stay with us.
Jacques Lacourse

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Huntsville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stay at this location every two weeks and the management and staff pay attention to every detail to make my stay most enjoyable. The restaurant serves excellent meals as well as being open early for breakfast so I can get an early start to my business day,

There is a Golf course on site, a year round outdoor pool and a spa.

I highly recommend this resort location,

Room Tip: Corner suites are generally quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
ClarionGuestServices, Manager at Clarion Resort Pinewood Park, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Mr McColeman,
Thank you so much for taking the time to do up a review of our hotel. We are incredibly proud to say that we've been able to accommodate you whenever you need it and for a very long time at that.
We certainly appreciate the loyalty you've shown this hotel throughout the years and look forward to at least the next couple of years of stays.
I know the team enjoys seeing you every couple of weeks and misses you while you are on vacation.
See you very soon!
Stoney Creek, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel many times in the past, have always had decent accomodations and service but for some reason there seems to be some serious neglect occuring at this location. Upon arrival checked into my cleaned room to find bathtub coated with hair, not a real confidence booster the place was properly cleaned at all. High speed internet is a joke, I depend on decent internet for my work, this was brutal, just loading Google maps or Gmail was a painful process, system showed good signal strength so that wasn't the issue. Restaurant tries to maintain the appearance of a high end establishment, but its never busy, overpriced and equipment is not getting repaired, have asked for a cappachino (sp?) everytime I have been there over the past year or so, everytime I get told it is broken and needs to be fixed, same story this time. While the pool is nicely heated, the stone work, paint etc is in serious need of work. The exterior of the building looks horrid, paint peeling off the wood exterior and just looks neglected. Feels very outdated, run down and no one in charge cares.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ClarionGuestServices, Manager at Clarion Resort Pinewood Park, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Hi dgm999,
Thanks for your review and for bringing to attention the fact that the Cappuccino Machine was still down. Thanks to you, we have had a repair technician in and we are now able to serve this delicious beverage to our valued guests, just like you.
We are also doing a review of our restaurant fare and would love for you to reach out to me by email or phone with regards to what you'd like to see.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Yours in hospitality,
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We needed to stop overnight on a road trip. We selected the Clarion Resort because we are Choice members and it was a bit out of town. Check in was nice, they had given us a 3rd floor room and you have to maneuver your luggage on a ramp, tough. We asked for a 1st floor and we were accommodated with a smile. Our room was very large and nice. We also were given breakfast vouchers for being Choice members...nice touch. We ate in the hotel restaurant and had a good meal and a superb waitress. She was so pleasant and warm, made us feel welcome.
They have a par 3 golf course, pool, spa and fitness room. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ClarionGuestServices, Manager at Clarion Resort Pinewood Park, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Toothfairy2,
Thanks for the awesome review and I'm glad that you were happy with the staff at the desk as well as our Restaurant staff.
Thanks for staying and thanks for being a Choice Privileges member.
See you the next time you are in our fair City.
Markham, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Having lived in North Bay for 20 years I was very familiar with Pinewood Park (even had my grade 12 grad there!).
I've stayed there a few times over the years, since I left North Bay, but it had been about 4 years since my last stay. Knowing we were travelling to North Bay for the August long weekend, I booked well in advance as I knew it was also the Summer in The Park festival and that rooms would go fast.
Much to my surprise, there were plenty of rooms available, and this should have been my first clue.
This hotel has not been updated, renovated or even painted in YEARS..... pulling up to the hotel, i couldn't believe how dated, run down and generally unappealing it looked.
the right side of the hotel which houses "motel" type rooms was abandoned and falling apart...
The exterior desperately needs paint, weeds everywhere and the whole lot needs a paving.
Walking into the lobby i felt like i was in a time warp back to my grad. I think they had the EXACT same art hanging on the walls and the same fake flowers.
I had booked a pool side room thinking it would be great to be close to the pool for my daughter. Our room was dark, dank and unappealing. Old wallpaper bubbling on the walls, faint smell of smoke, tiny bathroom, and dingy patio. 2 beat up old resin chairs and an empty tomato sauce can full of cigarette butts greeted us on our patio.
The room was fairly clean (thank god) but the beds were terrible, old hard mattresses.
and i was really surprised when I saw the 32 inch Phillips TUBE TV!!!! no LCD???? in a hotel calling itself North Bays premier resort?????
The pool itself was okay, clean and warm but the landscaping and general look around it was awful. It's shocking to me that Clarion is not willing to spend any money to upgrade and update this facility.
Breakfast at the restaurant was terrible, we waited 45 minutes for our meal and it was cold when it arrived. Our server was nice enough but totally overwhelmed, which was odd considering there were only a few people in the place. Overall the staff were friendly but I got the feeling from many of them that they were almost embarrassed to be working there.
Sad to say i will never stay there again.... very disappointing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ClarionGuestServices, Manager at Clarion Resort Pinewood Park, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Hi Chris P.,
Thanks for the review. I've brought this review up with our Management team and ownership. We've been doing upgrades to our TV's and only have a few left to switch over to LCD tvs.
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Being a business man, I travel a lot and when on the road, I try to find accommodations that best suit my lifestyle at home. The Clarion has it all, pool, spa, sauna, whirlpool, golf course and comfortable resort type rooms. When visiting North Bay this is my only selection unless booked solid, which is very rare.

I haven't experienced any of the problems I have seen in other hotels such as rude guests, door slamming, loud partying, hockey leagues, boozers, narcotics users, etc. I've never had a complaint except perhaps the odd room which has a few minor maintenance issues, nothing drastic though.

The front desk staff are always friendly and accommodating, as are the breakfast hostesses. They always welcome my family and I warmly.

I usually travel here for business but have stayed for pleasure as well, including the time of my wedding in 2012.

I have seen complaints about the antiquity of the decor and rooms; personally I like it - it adds to the overall character of the place, as does the smell of the fireplace burning in the winter.

For those who love uniqueness, I definitely recommend the Clarion.

Room Tip: 222 is an interesting room... Perhaps you will find out why yourself...perhaps not :) Think of 1408
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HI Ian_M,
Thanks for the great review! I'm not going to lie, I'm going to have to watch 1408 now because I've stayed in 222 before. You've got me curious.
All the best in your travels and we look forward to having you with us again soon.
Kingston, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had read the reviews and thought we knew what to expect but when we arrived at the Clarion we certainly were not impressed. The whole outside is in need of upkeep/paint/stain. Once inside, the lobby is outdated and the overabundance of artificial flowers does not hide the fact a complete refurbishing is desperately needed. The room size is adequate but again the furniture should all be replaced, along with drapes, carpet and paint. The bathroom is small and the sink didn't drain properly. The bathroom fixtures may have been updated, but when using the shower and the toilet is flushed the water temp in the shower went extremely hot. This is a safety hazard and not to code. There was a space under the door to our room where we had to place a towel to provide some privacy. The bar and dining room also need refurbishing. The air conditioning in the bar was not working as was the coffee machine.

The majority of the staff were quite pleasant. The exception was the young lady at the front desk who checked us in. She was like a robot and not the least bit personable. Not a great first impression and did not give us a "warm and fuzzy".

The prime rib was highly recommended but disappointing and not presented as offered on the menu. No explanation was given why it was served with peppercorn gravy and not au jus. Maybe they were trying to hide the fact the meat was medium/well rather than medium/rare as ordered.

In short, the Clarion needs a total renovation. You need to spend money to make money!!!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ClarionGuestServices, Manager at Clarion Resort Pinewood Park, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
noduff_11,
Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel. All I have to say is wow. Certainly not your typical stay here. I'd ask you to please reach out to me at the hotel so that I can better follow up with the details you are describing. We don't hide that we are an older hotel, but there are certainly some issues you experienced that are certainly under our control. Please call or email me so that I can get some more pertinent information (room number, date of stay, etc) so that I may follow up.
All the best in your travels and I hope you'll give us another chance.
Assistant GM

Been to Clarion Resort Pinewood Park? Share your experiences!