“2 nights and a wedding” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Resort Pinewood Park

You added Clarion Resort Pinewood Park to your Saves list
Clarion Resort Pinewood Park
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   201 Pinewood Park Dr., North Bay, Ontario P1B 8J8, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn a FREE Night
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in North Bay
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
“2 nights and a wedding”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed at the Clarion in October for a wedding. We chose this hotel because the wedding was also being held here. We could of booked somewhere else but no other hotels are that close to the Clarion.

Hotel:

The lobby of the hotel is very nice. When arriving to the hotel make sure you dont get the two front entrances confused. One is to a dinning room and the other one is to the lobby checkin.

Check in was ok. The girl at the front desk didnt really make any sense. We paid $235.00 for two nights with tax. We also had to put a $50.00 a night deposit on the room (no problem). The lady at the front desk told us she is going to pre auth our Credit Card for $400.00. She was suppose to pre auth it for $335.00, anyway no big deal.

We got a room on the 1st floor (some call the basement). Although you do have to go down some stairs to reach your room, I dont think this is considered a basement. At no time did we feel like we were in the basement.

The room: The room was just o.k. It was clean and spacious. The beds are hard and the washroom is a bit small but not too bad.

I did have a chance to take a look at the outdoor heated pool. It wasnt warm enough for me to go into it.

The wedding: We had a great time at the wedding which was hosted at the Clarion. I would reccommend this facilty to anyone who is interested.

I would only stay at this hotel if you are at a wedding there. If you dont have a wedding there then it isnt that close to anything. I would get a nicer hotel inside North Bay.

All in all, not good, not bad.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ClarionGuestServices, Manager at Clarion Resort Pinewood Park, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Byron D,
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to give us an idea of where we have areas of improvement. The next time you are up to North Bay please stop in and say hi. I'd love to meet you and have a chance to make your acquaintance.
Jake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed there in October 2012 for 3 nights. A lovely room, flat screen tv, king bed with lots of pillows and a nice couch. Free wi fi was also great. Restaurant was very pricey. Nothing under $25. Had the salmon for $26, it was good. The restaurant could have had a nicer atmosphere.

Room Tip: I had ground floor and it was great.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear chrisneilson,
Thanks for reviewing our hotel. We love hearing about our guest's experiences. I'd love to meet you on your next trip up to the 'Bay.
Thanks again for the review!
Kemptville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed for the August long weekend to relax and visit with our grandchildren in North Bay and enjoy the Waterfront Festival. We had a great time . Staff went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable .The room was newly renovated and in perfect condition . The kids spent each day enjoying the pool. The golf course bent over backwards to fit us in for a game on that busy weekend. We even enjoyed a quiet evening meal in the restaurant one evening. Most of all , our teenage grandkids were awestruck when met the lead acts of the North Bay Festival who were also staying there ! We will use the Clarion for all our family visits to NB from now on....thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hi Gary B,
I'm glad to read about your experiences here at the hotel and how you enjoyed our Summer in the Park weekend.
We've been blessed with having a phenomenal team of caring individuals working here and that's where we are truly trying to differentiate ourselves in our market.
We were, just like your grand kids, really happy that Marianas Trench stayed here too. It was a blast for both our guests and our team.
Regards and we look forward to seeing you for this year's festival.
Milton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at the hotel 2 nights to attend a wedding. The hotel has expanded over its 50 plus years and has added connected buildings making it a long walk from the far ends of the hotel. It amazed me that elevators did not exist any where in the hotel. There are a series of ramps in the central area of the hotel connecting the floors however it is a bit of a challenge moving ones luggage and moving around in the hotel.The hotel was very clean in both the room and public areas. It does however need a complete make over and renovations for everything. The old tube type TV appeared about ready to fall from its swivel stand in our
bedroom .Management has allowed the hotel to become very tired and dated way past its redo due date. Basic maintenance appears to be slipping.The lack of elevators is inexcusable in 2012 in a 3 storey hotel and while I was told the ramp system works fine in the opinion of the owners, I have news for them, it does not for a hotel claiming to be a "resort" and charging a rate at the top end of the local rate scale.The hotel is somewhat isolated and outside of central North Bay.
We ate in the restaurant several times and the wedding was catered by the hotel .The food was very good in both situations. The staff were always helpful and friendly.
We did not golf or use the spa and cannot comment on either.
At one time this may of been the top hotel in the area but it appears they may be living on their past reputation.

Room Tip: Try a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel is rundown and has been poorly maintained. The tile work in the bathroom was shody. The carpets in the rooms and common areas have not been changes for years and look dirty and smell of mould. I am not very sensitive to indoor allergens but one night at the Pinewood and out come the allergy meds and inhalers i have not used in years. There is no excuse for this kind of dive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ClarionGuestServices, Director of Sales at Clarion Resort Pinewood Park, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
JP O,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm certainly hoping that you'll consider reaching out to me directly at the hotel so that I can figure what room you were in.
Jacques
Barrie, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This hotel is an excellent example of when people say stars dont necessarily mean quality, it reflects the amount of amenities they have. Yes, they have a restoraunt and spa and it may all sound very nice, but the room quality was terrible.

This "resort" is conveniently located nowhere. Far from everything. Check in was smooth but as soon as I heard there was a 50$ incidental hold on the credit card, I became worried. All hotels that I've been to which are half decent at the minimum have a 150-200 incidental deposit. Maybe they trust their guests here?

I get to my room which almost feels like it's in a basement.. especially when you're under the main floor. The halls have that suttle humid musty smell that some hotels have. If you go there you'll probably know what I mean. The moment I get into my room I notice a lot of things that are really off. The chain lock on the door is falling off the frame and unusable, the bathroom counter is about as high as my knees (and I'm not a very tall person either) and the room has a portable air conditioner system, rather than a real one. Those three things really concerned me, especially for the price I paid (even through a discount third party web site). Other things that upset me is that the room had a CRT tv, the air conditioner was loud and right against the bed and the shower head was leaking in such a way that it sprayed the ceiling till it was drenched. I refuse to believe that no one else noticed it before me based on the extent of the leak. It really goes to show how much care they have about this motel.

At this point I'm realising that this place had to have been a motel previously and someone tried to renovate it to ressemble a hotel. The problem is that a lot of things were overlooked like old door handles, SMALL bathroom (you had to squeeze between the toilet and the counter to get the bathroom door closed), and outlets were in the way of the door (if you plugged things in it and tried to close the door, the plugs would be in the way because the outlets were in the counter, rather than in a wall).

I also realise that any one item in the room is worth less than 50$. Which explains why they seem happy with a 50$ deposit. what a resort.

I would not come back or recommend this motel... I mean resort. For litterally a few dollars more, I could have stayed in the Holiday inn or the Hilton (Hampton Inn) in North Bay and had a free breakfast, much, much better room and be WAY closer to everything.

Room Tip: Here's an excellent tip to get a good room. Ask the front desk what are the driving directions t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Mapelle621,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Resort Hotel. I would ask that you reach out to me directly at the hotel to see if there is any way that we can earn your return.
Jacques
Timmins, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for two nights for a summer getaway. Frankly, this hotel needs to be renovated... it's dark and the decor is dated. However, we still had a great stay. The outdoor heated pool was a favourite of my daughter. The restaurant staff were very friendly and the food was a nice change from the breakfast buffets at other hotels. The front desk staff answered all of our questions and were very helpful. The hotel is on the outskirts of town, so don't expect to walk to the mall or downtown. The rooms were quiet and we had a good sleep, even though we were adjacent to the ice and vending machines. The bathroom showed some age with a leaky showerhead, but overall we really enjoyed our stay. We did not try the spa or the golfing, but they are added bonuses if you are interested.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Resort Pinewood Park? Share your experiences!