“Thankyou for a great weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Resort Pinewood Park

You added Clarion Resort Pinewood Park to your Saves list
Clarion Resort Pinewood Park
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   201 Pinewood Park Dr., North Bay, Ontario P1B 8J8, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay Twice = Gift Card
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in North Bay
Kemptville, Canada
“Thankyou for a great weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed for the August long weekend to relax and visit with our grandchildren in North Bay and enjoy the Waterfront Festival. We had a great time . Staff went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable .The room was newly renovated and in perfect condition . The kids spent each day enjoying the pool. The golf course bent over backwards to fit us in for a game on that busy weekend. We even enjoyed a quiet evening meal in the restaurant one evening. Most of all , our teenage grandkids were awestruck when met the lead acts of the North Bay Festival who were also staying there ! We will use the Clarion for all our family visits to NB from now on....thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ClarionGuestServices, Manager at Clarion Resort Pinewood Park, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Hi Gary B,
I'm glad to read about your experiences here at the hotel and how you enjoyed our Summer in the Park weekend.
We've been blessed with having a phenomenal team of caring individuals working here and that's where we are truly trying to differentiate ourselves in our market.
We were, just like your grand kids, really happy that Marianas Trench stayed here too. It was a blast for both our guests and our team.
Regards and we look forward to seeing you for this year's festival.
Jake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Milton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at the hotel 2 nights to attend a wedding. The hotel has expanded over its 50 plus years and has added connected buildings making it a long walk from the far ends of the hotel. It amazed me that elevators did not exist any where in the hotel. There are a series of ramps in the central area of the hotel connecting the floors however it is a bit of a challenge moving ones luggage and moving around in the hotel.The hotel was very clean in both the room and public areas. It does however need a complete make over and renovations for everything. The old tube type TV appeared about ready to fall from its swivel stand in our
bedroom .Management has allowed the hotel to become very tired and dated way past its redo due date. Basic maintenance appears to be slipping.The lack of elevators is inexcusable in 2012 in a 3 storey hotel and while I was told the ramp system works fine in the opinion of the owners, I have news for them, it does not for a hotel claiming to be a "resort" and charging a rate at the top end of the local rate scale.The hotel is somewhat isolated and outside of central North Bay.
We ate in the restaurant several times and the wedding was catered by the hotel .The food was very good in both situations. The staff were always helpful and friendly.
We did not golf or use the spa and cannot comment on either.
At one time this may of been the top hotel in the area but it appears they may be living on their past reputation.

Room Tip: Try a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel is rundown and has been poorly maintained. The tile work in the bathroom was shody. The carpets in the rooms and common areas have not been changes for years and look dirty and smell of mould. I am not very sensitive to indoor allergens but one night at the Pinewood and out come the allergy meds and inhalers i have not used in years. There is no excuse for this kind of dive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ClarionGuestServices, Director of Sales at Clarion Resort Pinewood Park, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
JP O,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm certainly hoping that you'll consider reaching out to me directly at the hotel so that I can figure what room you were in.
Jacques
Barrie, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This hotel is an excellent example of when people say stars dont necessarily mean quality, it reflects the amount of amenities they have. Yes, they have a restoraunt and spa and it may all sound very nice, but the room quality was terrible.

This "resort" is conveniently located nowhere. Far from everything. Check in was smooth but as soon as I heard there was a 50$ incidental hold on the credit card, I became worried. All hotels that I've been to which are half decent at the minimum have a 150-200 incidental deposit. Maybe they trust their guests here?

I get to my room which almost feels like it's in a basement.. especially when you're under the main floor. The halls have that suttle humid musty smell that some hotels have. If you go there you'll probably know what I mean. The moment I get into my room I notice a lot of things that are really off. The chain lock on the door is falling off the frame and unusable, the bathroom counter is about as high as my knees (and I'm not a very tall person either) and the room has a portable air conditioner system, rather than a real one. Those three things really concerned me, especially for the price I paid (even through a discount third party web site). Other things that upset me is that the room had a CRT tv, the air conditioner was loud and right against the bed and the shower head was leaking in such a way that it sprayed the ceiling till it was drenched. I refuse to believe that no one else noticed it before me based on the extent of the leak. It really goes to show how much care they have about this motel.

At this point I'm realising that this place had to have been a motel previously and someone tried to renovate it to ressemble a hotel. The problem is that a lot of things were overlooked like old door handles, SMALL bathroom (you had to squeeze between the toilet and the counter to get the bathroom door closed), and outlets were in the way of the door (if you plugged things in it and tried to close the door, the plugs would be in the way because the outlets were in the counter, rather than in a wall).

I also realise that any one item in the room is worth less than 50$. Which explains why they seem happy with a 50$ deposit. what a resort.

I would not come back or recommend this motel... I mean resort. For litterally a few dollars more, I could have stayed in the Holiday inn or the Hilton (Hampton Inn) in North Bay and had a free breakfast, much, much better room and be WAY closer to everything.

Room Tip: Here's an excellent tip to get a good room. Ask the front desk what are the driving directions t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Mapelle621,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Resort Hotel. I would ask that you reach out to me directly at the hotel to see if there is any way that we can earn your return.
Jacques
Timmins, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for two nights for a summer getaway. Frankly, this hotel needs to be renovated... it's dark and the decor is dated. However, we still had a great stay. The outdoor heated pool was a favourite of my daughter. The restaurant staff were very friendly and the food was a nice change from the breakfast buffets at other hotels. The front desk staff answered all of our questions and were very helpful. The hotel is on the outskirts of town, so don't expect to walk to the mall or downtown. The rooms were quiet and we had a good sleep, even though we were adjacent to the ice and vending machines. The bathroom showed some age with a leaky showerhead, but overall we really enjoyed our stay. We did not try the spa or the golfing, but they are added bonuses if you are interested.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Huntsville, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed here on the civic holiday weekend. The place is older and in a weird spot across from a truck stop and well south of downtown but was actually quite nice. The room had been renovated and everything worked. Front desk was helpful, theoutside pool is older but was refreshing in 95 F heat. Compilmentary washer dryer for guests to use. The breakfast buffet was really good for $10. Place could use another facelift, we paid $129 for a king last minute....others paid $85 in advance bookings. Golf course on the property, neat model train display near the lobby.

Room Tip: ask for the newer wing and you get a full balcony facing the pool.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here one night for our anniversary. Great room with comfy bed, jacuzzi in room was wonderful. Had late fare menu in bar and was very good, not your average bar food. Breakfast in diningroom next morning was okay. A bit pricey for average breakfast food. Overall very clean and quiet room and we enjoyed our night Will be coming back again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple