“Friendly staff, but not showing any initiative” 3 of 5 stars

Save up to 20%
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in North Bay
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Friendly staff, but not showing any initiative”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We made our booking for 2 rooms, 2 nights through hotels.com, but later found that the price would have been better had we booked directly with the hotel through their website’s promotion. Well, I did came across that promotion on their website before the cancellation deadline with hotels.com, but when I entered the promotion code during online reservation, the promotion price didn’t show up and I thought the promotion had expired, as the promotion was called “Shades of Summer” and it’s already late October when I attempted the booking. It wasn’t until my friend asked about this promotion 2 days before our stay that I was curious and called the hotel about it to find that the promotion was still valid.

Anyway, not sure if it’s because we did not book directly with the hotel that the staff that checked us in wasn’t showing any initiative. The rooms we were first assigned were a few rooms apart down the hallway. After realizing this, we asked for adjacent rooms. Then when we checked into the rooms, we found that one of the rooms was actually connected to another room next door. We went back to the reception and asked if we could have the connecting rooms instead. The girl was helpful and allowed us to switch rooms. However, the first guy who checked us in could have shown more initiative and ask if we want connecting rooms, that would have saved us the trouble of switching.

Also, there weren’t any toiletries supplied in the room, I had to ask the girl at the front desk, who readily packed a bag of supplies good for both rooms.

I’ve read from reviews that the hotel has recently gone through renovation and that the new beds were really comfortable with a fridge and microwave in the newly renovated rooms. Obviously, the rooms we were assigned weren’t the renovated ones, as the mattresses were too soft, and we wouldn’t get the fridge had we not requested for it. I can’t understand why if the hotel was less than half full, that they wouldn’t assign us rooms that were newly renovated, so as to impress your guests with a good night stay?

The hotel has an in-house restaurant Farina. Food, décor and price were good, but service was definitely not up to standard. One of my friends ordered Caesar salad and asked for it to be served in 2 smaller plates for sharing with her husband. However, when the waitress came with the salad, she served them to the wrong couple, who thought that the salad came with the entrée and ate it by mistake. The waitress didn’t get a replacement salad for my friend who made the order, nor did she take the salad off the bill for the mistake.

The second mess-up came with my steak. I asked for rare but it came too well-done, so I called for it to be re-cooked. I waited for more than half an hour before my entrée showed up again, when all but one of my friends had finished their meal. That poor fellow’s steak had never arrived until then. Also, when I made the order, I asked for all vegetables instead of potatoes on the side, but when they came with my re-prepared order, they just provided me the regular potatoes and veggies on the side. And since after such a long wait, the restaurant was close to closing, I and my poor friend had to rush through our entrée. Naturally, we would expect an apology and a discount off our bill as a courtesy gesture, but we didn’t get anything, not even after our asking.

The second day of our stay, we tried out the swimming pool, the hot tub and the sauna. The area was clean, despite the fact that one of its changing rooms was under renovation and both male and female guests have to access the pool area via the same change room, and share the same sauna room.

On the final day of our stay, when we checked out, we were surprised that we were charged for the microwave and the fridge, despite the fact that the guy who checked us in agreed that he’ll waive those charges. It wasn’t until after much argument and my insistence to speak with the manager that the girl who checked us out finally agreed to remove those charges. Then when we thought we were done with the check-out procedures and we provided the girl with our aeroplan numbers to make sure we get credited for our stay in both rooms, the girl seemed confused and asked if we were checking out of both rooms. I thought that was more than obvious when we returned 4 room keys and we have always had both rooms booked under the same reservation. Thank goodness that we took the time to check out the aeroplan bonus. Otherwise, I don’t know what would happen if they assumed that we hadn’t checked out of the second room. Scary!!

Room Tip: Ask specifically for the newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
GSMBWNB, Manager at BEST WESTERN North Bay Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, February 13, 2013

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 705-474-5805 ext. 700.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Beeton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Let me start of by saying while I wasn't thrilled with our stay it had nothing to do with staff or cleanliness. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We arrived in town earlier than we had expected and were able to check in a little before 11am. Our room was very clean and was fairly nice.

The issue I had was that we ordered a non smoking room yet we were directly beside all of the smoking rooms. The second we opened our door we were assaulted by the thick smell of smoke and at several periods during our stay the VERY strong smell of marijuana smoke on top of that. When I brought up the issue to a staff member at the front desk I was told there was nothing they could do about it (which I understand) and that they would send a housekeeper to go spray the hallway. I'm not sure why anyone thought it would be a good idea to stick non smoking rooms directly beside smoking ones. I have never been to a hotel where they were even in the same hallway. I feel a little like maybe because we booked through a 3rd party site we were stuck in the worst absolute area for non smoking rooms.

Another odd thing that happened is when I went to check out they had no record of me actually checking in and we had been listed as no shows. I'm not sure how that mistake was made.

Lastly, while this hotel does have a restaurant, they don't offer the option of a continental breakfast. We didn't have time to go sit down in a restaurant and order our food. For the price of this hotel and it's apparent 3 star rating you would assume they would offer the option. I've been to far less expensive places that offered bountiful continental breakfasts to their guests.

All in all the hotel is great for what it is and again I have no complaints about the staff or the cleanliness but I really was expecting a lot more. I travel to North Bay every 6 weeks for work and I would not be upset if I had to stay at this hotel again, I'll just go in to it expecting a lot less now.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We booked 2 nights , Friday and Saturday (Sept. 21st and 22nd), 2 seniors. When checking in, we were greated by "Fred". Friendly, exceptional service. We asked for a quiet room and also asked for a ground flooor room as they do not have elevators and I have a very bad hip.He upgraded us and what a lovely stay we had. There was 2 weddings on Saturday and did not hear a beep.We enjoyed the breakfast at the Farina restuarant on site. Clean room . Would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
GSMBWNB, General Manager at BEST WESTERN North Bay Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
I would like to thank you Ginette and Bi...B for your review of our hotel. We're pleased with your kind words about the hotel and our staff. That Fred was helpful and accommodating to your needs. We are pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast and found our hotel both clean and comfortable. We hope you will return again.
St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Driven past this place many times, but other reviewers commented on the renovations, and we just had to check it out.
The room was superb, with an extremely comfortable king bed, an easy chair with ottoman which was to die for, and the most comfortable desk chair I've sat in anywhere!
Lobby looks good, too. Restaurant is very attractive, and though we seldom eat hotel food, tried it and it was very good.
Would definitely recommend this place... best value in North Bay! Even had a view of Lake Nipissing...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mochamyrrh, thak you for your review and for recognizing the comfort, cleanliness and good value in choosing our hotel, as well as the review of all our renovations. We hope you will return again and will have the time to enjoy the additional services such as our pool and sauna the next time around. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Courtenay, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Found staff unfriendly & the cleaning of our room on most days was poor at best!!!! The Internet only worked at certain times of the day. There was no ventalation in the room and you couldnt open. Over all we would not recommend this hotel !!! They even charged us for bottled water we never drank:((( The Holiday Inn Express will be where we stay next time.......

Room Tip: 2nd floor is much better, especially the cleanliness of the rooms!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you Kimmy044 for your constructive review about your experience at our hotel this month. Please accept our sincerest apologies for not providing you with a comfortable stay with us. These experiences are in no way indicative of the service we are striving to provide.
Unfortunetely, from your screen name, I am unble to determine which room you may have occupied so it would be hard for me to investigate further. If you are willing to contact me directly, my email address is Angela.Johnston@whg.com. We strive to ensure a care-free stay for our guests and would like to work to win back your loyality.
Ottawa, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

First I will say that we stayed in this hotel two years ago and the remodel that has taken place is great. Our room was lovely and the bed was comfortable. My only issue was with our check in. I had asked when I booked the room for a fridge as I have meds that need to be kept cool. I was told that wasn't a problem as the new rooms had fridges and microwaves. When we checked in I was told no fridges were available and "No-one would have said that to you." The comment made me feel very uncomfortable. The woman at front desk told me they would have to physically check the unbooked rooms for a fridge. Many thanks to the person in the lobby who offered their fridge to me--I don't know what I would have done without your help! Our room was on the second floor and there is no elevator, but as I said the room was very nice. Two people arrived at our room quickly with the fridge, and had it set up in no time. I'm sure that carting a fridge around at 10:30 at night was a pain, but they were very friendly and helpful. It did help to alleviate the sour taste left in my mouth after check in.

Room Tip: Ask for first floor if stairs are a concern--no help with baggage and no elevators.
Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I would like to thank you ToeLoop for your review of our hotel. We're pleased that you found our new beds to be comfortable and the room to be lovely and clean, and overall to your needs. We do have fridges and microwaves in all our upgraded rooms, and also have an inventory of these items which can also be delivered to other guestrooms as needed. Please accept my apology for our new front desk agent who had made you feel uncomfortable, we value your comments as this help us with providing positive training of our team. We hope to welcome you back soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I booked our room over the Internet which was very convenient.
We stayed one night, which was a Saturday night, where a wedding reception was being held. I was quite concerned due to the anticipation of noise and much to my delight we didn't hear a peep.
I fully enjoyed the new Simmons pillow top mattress. Had the best sleep in a long time!
We will definitely stay again!

• Stayed August 2012
JohnCrescenzi_1, General Manager at BEST WESTERN North Bay Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you Wildemptynester for the great review of your stay. We're happy that you found our new beds to be quite comfortable and the stay to be a pleasant one. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Regardless of the season, there is always something great to do in North Bay.

Been to BEST WESTERN North Bay Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!