“If There Is a Hell...This Is It!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sands Motor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in North Bay
Sands Motor Inn
You added Sands Motor Inn to your Saves list
366 McIntyre Street E., North Bay, Ontario P1B 1C8, Canada   |
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in North Bay
Mendocino, CA
“If There Is a Hell...This Is It!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

All of these reviews are spot on and not lying a bit. This is a crack house/flop house of a disaster of a place. Sadly, my husband and I were driving across country and hit North Bay blindly at a time when there was a music festval happening and there was nary a room to be had for miles in every direction. We, on a chance, called the Sands Motor Inn with the hopes of a cancelation. Low and behold, there was a last minute cancelation, our elation was short lived. We checked in for $120. The beds were in a shambles. Dirty mattresses on the floor, dirty sheets, no pillow cases, no towels, garbage in the room, no waste basket, no toilet paper, dirt/filth on the floor. Cigarette odor was unbearable (we were told it was a non smoking room), cigarette burns in the sheets matching up with burn in the mattress. That tells me the sheets have not been changed...period! The next morning there were bed bugs crawling all around. Do not pay any attention to the smarmy guy who operates the place, Bo. He lies, lies, lies. He told me he would have fresh pot of coffee ready when I got up to depart (not that I wanted it) but he was nowhere to be found. Bo also said that they had made vast improvements in this place. My husband and I had the worst fight over staying here. It ruined the trip. I went and sat in the car because I was so upset over the intolerable conditions. I have contacted the chamber of commerce and told them about the horrid conditions here. I doubt it will make any difference. I would sleep under a bridge before I set foot in this place again. PS the photos provided by the management are a joke. I have posted the real deal.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New Liskeard, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

He put us in his "Best" room. Plaster spots everywhere, dirt under everything, dust and dirt on everything, holes in sheets, horrible pillows, the tenant next door began playing guitar at 10:30 and so my son, who booked the room, went to tell the owner we were leaving and he started to yell at my son to shut up and get off the property or he "put him off". I had to step in and the owner changed his attitude in a hurry after I put my nose against his. The bathroom had black caulking mold and the tile was old and lifted. The toilet had to have the handle jiggled everytime we used it, the shower curtain was the only thing that was semi-clean, there were no pictures on the wall and the furniture was circa 1950s with cigarette burns, scratches, gouges, broken corners, the rug was severely stained, there's nothing I can think of to say that is nice about this public toilet or the owner except that a park bench would have been a better choice or even a barn loft or pig sty. We left and are simply glad the manner-void owner didn't attempt to charge us for it. We understand that it has been closed down by the health department and will be condemned very soon. The only people who were staying there were using the rooms for crackhouses. That's from a friend of mine in North Bay who is a police officer there.

Room Tip: For the love of GOD and your family, "DO NOT STAY HERE NO MATTER WHAT!"
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Kingston, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

When I walked in it felt like I had sunken into the tenth level of hell. The bed was covered in semen stains, there was also some really creepy dolls left in the room and they also have semen stains on the faces and the dresses of them. The washroom floor was rank with urine, and the floor was continually wet, I don't even want to know with what. I think this building should be condemned. There's serious metal fatigue in all the load-bearing members, the wiring is substandard, it's completely inadequate for power needs, and the neighborhood is like a demilitarized zone. I tried to get my money back but couldn't, and the only thing I did end up pickup up was a bad case of crabs from sleeping in the bed.

Room Tip: do not stay at the sands motel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Smooth Rock Falls, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Booked online from Ottawa and when we got there at 4pm the room wasn't done yet.We could see big spots on the matress and the room had a smell i could not describe.Went for supper and came back and told manager that we wouldn't be staying and wanted my money back.Was told he would credit my card if he could rent room,and two minutes later someone came for the room.Thank god.We got a room at the Travelodge on Lakeshore,What a change.Never again at the SANDS.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Penticton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

WOW, I have never seen such a complete dive, it's like a crack house. Unbelievable, the room was dirty, the bed sheets were so old that you could see right through them and had holes everywhere. The door would barely close and the headboard had fallen off the bed and wasn't repaired. It is run by East Indains who don't care about the place at all, take money out but never put anything back in to this place. Next time I am stuck for a room, I would sleep in my car before stopping at this bug infested place.

Room Tip: Stay as far away from this place as you can.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We needed a hotel room last minute and looked what was around North Bay on our GPS. We called the Sands to reserve 2 rooms for 6 guys after camping in Algonquin back country for a week. Let me tell you, I would have rather stayed in the woods with no tent overnight then to sleep in this dump. This is the worst motel I have ever seen in my life. To get me to stay one night in any of their rooms they would have to pay me about $1,000 (not even kidding)....

I can't believe that in a nice small town like North Bay such a crap heap exists. Somone should board this place up and condem it for good. I guess it has it's place though, I am sure that prostitues and drug addicts find this place better then other place that they squat but if you're not into these types of things do yourself a favour and keep driving to the Travel lodge. For only 50$ more a night you can sleep easy in a very nice room without getting herpes or hepitites..

We paid $160.00 for two rooms and then demanded our cash back. The funniest thing is that the guy at the front desk was surprised when we didn't like the state that the rooms were in...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
THESANDSNORTHBAY, Public Relations Manager at Sands Motor Inn, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
we do apologize for your group stay at the inn, as the information you gave has been evaluated your group member brought individuals to the inn from elsewhere as management had seen people with your group. as at time of check in there was not a true understanding of why you had decided to leave.. either way i regret that you had such experience at the hotel or elsewhere
warm regards public relations manager
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We actually just finished up our annual canoe trip and decided to stay one day in North Bay to end the trip. This place sounded good on paper, but definitely didn't live up to the hype. We paid, went to the room and walked back out and asked for an immediate refund.

Not only was the area unsafe, but was scared of catching something. Very dirty, prostitutes and crack heads everywhere.

Stay away

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
dear guest,
the inn does regret your experience you had at the inn, and we do not discriminate on guest and as all places we do have those who live a lifestyle and might be a guest at the same inn as one might stay.... as your room was not completed at check inn there was no cleaning that had been done, and was offered another room.... and we do regret the mistake warm regard public relation manager

Been to Sands Motor Inn? Share your experiences!