“Sleep on a park bench - it's more comfy and cleaner” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sands Motor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in North Bay
Sands Motor Inn
366 McIntyre Street E., North Bay, Ontario P1B 1C8, Canada   |
Ranked #22 of 26 hotels in North Bay
New Liskeard, Canada
“Sleep on a park bench - it's more comfy and cleaner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

He put us in his "Best" room. Plaster spots everywhere, dirt under everything, dust and dirt on everything, holes in sheets, horrible pillows, the tenant next door began playing guitar at 10:30 and so my son, who booked the room, went to tell the owner we were leaving and he started to yell at my son to shut up and get off the property or he "put him off". I had to step in and the owner changed his attitude in a hurry after I put my nose against his. The bathroom had black caulking mold and the tile was old and lifted. The toilet had to have the handle jiggled everytime we used it, the shower curtain was the only thing that was semi-clean, there were no pictures on the wall and the furniture was circa 1950s with cigarette burns, scratches, gouges, broken corners, the rug was severely stained, there's nothing I can think of to say that is nice about this public toilet or the owner except that a park bench would have been a better choice or even a barn loft or pig sty. We left and are simply glad the manner-void owner didn't attempt to charge us for it. We understand that it has been closed down by the health department and will be condemned very soon. The only people who were staying there were using the rooms for crackhouses. That's from a friend of mine in North Bay who is a police officer there.

Room Tip: For the love of GOD and your family, "DO NOT STAY HERE NO MATTER WHAT!"
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Kingston, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

When I walked in it felt like I had sunken into the tenth level of hell. The bed was covered in semen stains, there was also some really creepy dolls left in the room and they also have semen stains on the faces and the dresses of them. The washroom floor was rank with urine, and the floor was continually wet, I don't even want to know with what. I think this building should be condemned. There's serious metal fatigue in all the load-bearing members, the wiring is substandard, it's completely inadequate for power needs, and the neighborhood is like a demilitarized zone. I tried to get my money back but couldn't, and the only thing I did end up pickup up was a bad case of crabs from sleeping in the bed.

Room Tip: do not stay at the sands motel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Smooth Rock Falls, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Booked online from Ottawa and when we got there at 4pm the room wasn't done yet.We could see big spots on the matress and the room had a smell i could not describe.Went for supper and came back and told manager that we wouldn't be staying and wanted my money back.Was told he would credit my card if he could rent room,and two minutes later someone came for the room.Thank god.We got a room at the Travelodge on Lakeshore,What a change.Never again at the SANDS.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Penticton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

WOW, I have never seen such a complete dive, it's like a crack house. Unbelievable, the room was dirty, the bed sheets were so old that you could see right through them and had holes everywhere. The door would barely close and the headboard had fallen off the bed and wasn't repaired. It is run by East Indains who don't care about the place at all, take money out but never put anything back in to this place. Next time I am stuck for a room, I would sleep in my car before stopping at this bug infested place.

Room Tip: Stay as far away from this place as you can.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We needed a hotel room last minute and looked what was around North Bay on our GPS. We called the Sands to reserve 2 rooms for 6 guys after camping in Algonquin back country for a week. Let me tell you, I would have rather stayed in the woods with no tent overnight then to sleep in this dump. This is the worst motel I have ever seen in my life. To get me to stay one night in any of their rooms they would have to pay me about $1,000 (not even kidding)....

I can't believe that in a nice small town like North Bay such a crap heap exists. Somone should board this place up and condem it for good. I guess it has it's place though, I am sure that prostitues and drug addicts find this place better then other place that they squat but if you're not into these types of things do yourself a favour and keep driving to the Travel lodge. For only 50$ more a night you can sleep easy in a very nice room without getting herpes or hepitites..

We paid $160.00 for two rooms and then demanded our cash back. The funniest thing is that the guy at the front desk was surprised when we didn't like the state that the rooms were in...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
THESANDSNORTHBAY, Public Relations Manager at Sands Motor Inn, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
we do apologize for your group stay at the inn, as the information you gave has been evaluated your group member brought individuals to the inn from elsewhere as management had seen people with your group. as at time of check in there was not a true understanding of why you had decided to leave.. either way i regret that you had such experience at the hotel or elsewhere
warm regards public relations manager
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We actually just finished up our annual canoe trip and decided to stay one day in North Bay to end the trip. This place sounded good on paper, but definitely didn't live up to the hype. We paid, went to the room and walked back out and asked for an immediate refund.

Not only was the area unsafe, but was scared of catching something. Very dirty, prostitutes and crack heads everywhere.

Stay away

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
dear guest,
the inn does regret your experience you had at the inn, and we do not discriminate on guest and as all places we do have those who live a lifestyle and might be a guest at the same inn as one might stay.... as your room was not completed at check inn there was no cleaning that had been done, and was offered another room.... and we do regret the mistake warm regard public relation manager
Oshawa, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

When we arrived the manager had stepped out to go to the bank so we had to wait nearly half an hour for him to return to check us in. They still hadn't made our beds and when they finally did there were no pillowcases. They said they'd bring them in an hour. They never did. Throughout our stay our bedding was never changed again and neither were our towels. The bathroom was always soaking wet. It's impossible to turn the shower completely off so we had to deal with spray whenever we wanted to fill the bathtub. The toilet wasn't bolted down properly and I nearly tipped over at least two or three times! The toilet was constantly dripping with condensation. We practically had to BEG for more toilet paper, because when we asked for our toilet paper and our pillowcases the manager said he was working on it. At least ten minutes went by. So I went back and said "Uh, we kind of need our toilet paper NOW, we're almost OUT of it. He gave us two rolls but there is nowhere in that bathroom to put them where they wouldn't get damp! Our floors and towels were constantly soaked the whole time we were there. Our overhead light didn't work and the bedside lamp was practically falling apart. Insulation sticks out of the bottom of the wall beneath our front window and there was a huge hole in the ceiling above our door. When I saw it I was immediately concerned about the possibility of bats getting in! Fortunately we never encountered any bats or other rodents or bugs. And we always had a struggle with our key. At one point our toilet even got clogged. About the only nice things I can say about this hotel that at least it's within walking distance of all the places we needed to go, the beds are comfortable and we actually HAD a bathtub. When and if we ever do go to North Bay again at least we know there's a NEW DAYS INN just up the street. We don't want to stay at the Sands again. Due to a certain amount of personal drama we experienced during our journey this place has seen too many tearful memories.

Room Tip: Don't bother with this place. It's a dump!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
dear guest,
i apologize for the time you became a guest at the inn, as there was a transition in housekeeping and maintenance unfortunately your unit had damage from guest prior to your stay the fittings and fixtures were displaced And as we as any hotel have guest that do make damage in a room, for there stay. the room in question has had a total uplift and the fittings and fixtures are in place.. including as for myself being preoccupied and not adhering to your needs in a timely fashion please except my aplogize. if you are in north bay again i would be glad to show you the changes that have been made to the unit you stayed... warm regards public relations manager

Been to Sands Motor Inn? Share your experiences!