“Hotel from Hell” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sands Motor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in North Bay
Sands Motor Inn
Save Saved
You added Sands Motor Inn to your Saves list
366 McIntyre Street E., North Bay, Ontario P1B 1C8, Canada   |
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in North Bay
Smooth Rock Falls, Ontario, Canada
“Hotel from Hell”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Booked online from Ottawa and when we got there at 4pm the room wasn't done yet.We could see big spots on the matress and the room had a smell i could not describe.Went for supper and came back and told manager that we wouldn't be staying and wanted my money back.Was told he would credit my card if he could rent room,and two minutes later someone came for the room.Thank god.We got a room at the Travelodge on Lakeshore,What a change.Never again at the SANDS.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Penticton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

WOW, I have never seen such a complete dive, it's like a crack house. Unbelievable, the room was dirty, the bed sheets were so old that you could see right through them and had holes everywhere. The door would barely close and the headboard had fallen off the bed and wasn't repaired. It is run by East Indains who don't care about the place at all, take money out but never put anything back in to this place. Next time I am stuck for a room, I would sleep in my car before stopping at this bug infested place.

Room Tip: Stay as far away from this place as you can.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We needed a hotel room last minute and looked what was around North Bay on our GPS. We called the Sands to reserve 2 rooms for 6 guys after camping in Algonquin back country for a week. Let me tell you, I would have rather stayed in the woods with no tent overnight then to sleep in this dump. This is the worst motel I have ever seen in my life. To get me to stay one night in any of their rooms they would have to pay me about $1,000 (not even kidding)....

I can't believe that in a nice small town like North Bay such a crap heap exists. Somone should board this place up and condem it for good. I guess it has it's place though, I am sure that prostitues and drug addicts find this place better then other place that they squat but if you're not into these types of things do yourself a favour and keep driving to the Travel lodge. For only 50$ more a night you can sleep easy in a very nice room without getting herpes or hepitites..

We paid $160.00 for two rooms and then demanded our cash back. The funniest thing is that the guy at the front desk was surprised when we didn't like the state that the rooms were in...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
THESANDSNORTHBAY, Public Relations Manager at Sands Motor Inn, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
we do apologize for your group stay at the inn, as the information you gave has been evaluated your group member brought individuals to the inn from elsewhere as management had seen people with your group. as at time of check in there was not a true understanding of why you had decided to leave.. either way i regret that you had such experience at the hotel or elsewhere
warm regards public relations manager
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We actually just finished up our annual canoe trip and decided to stay one day in North Bay to end the trip. This place sounded good on paper, but definitely didn't live up to the hype. We paid, went to the room and walked back out and asked for an immediate refund.

Not only was the area unsafe, but was scared of catching something. Very dirty, prostitutes and crack heads everywhere.

Stay away

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
dear guest,
the inn does regret your experience you had at the inn, and we do not discriminate on guest and as all places we do have those who live a lifestyle and might be a guest at the same inn as one might stay.... as your room was not completed at check inn there was no cleaning that had been done, and was offered another room.... and we do regret the mistake warm regard public relation manager
Oshawa, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

When we arrived the manager had stepped out to go to the bank so we had to wait nearly half an hour for him to return to check us in. They still hadn't made our beds and when they finally did there were no pillowcases. They said they'd bring them in an hour. They never did. Throughout our stay our bedding was never changed again and neither were our towels. The bathroom was always soaking wet. It's impossible to turn the shower completely off so we had to deal with spray whenever we wanted to fill the bathtub. The toilet wasn't bolted down properly and I nearly tipped over at least two or three times! The toilet was constantly dripping with condensation. We practically had to BEG for more toilet paper, because when we asked for our toilet paper and our pillowcases the manager said he was working on it. At least ten minutes went by. So I went back and said "Uh, we kind of need our toilet paper NOW, we're almost OUT of it. He gave us two rolls but there is nowhere in that bathroom to put them where they wouldn't get damp! Our floors and towels were constantly soaked the whole time we were there. Our overhead light didn't work and the bedside lamp was practically falling apart. Insulation sticks out of the bottom of the wall beneath our front window and there was a huge hole in the ceiling above our door. When I saw it I was immediately concerned about the possibility of bats getting in! Fortunately we never encountered any bats or other rodents or bugs. And we always had a struggle with our key. At one point our toilet even got clogged. About the only nice things I can say about this hotel that at least it's within walking distance of all the places we needed to go, the beds are comfortable and we actually HAD a bathtub. When and if we ever do go to North Bay again at least we know there's a NEW DAYS INN just up the street. We don't want to stay at the Sands again. Due to a certain amount of personal drama we experienced during our journey this place has seen too many tearful memories.

Room Tip: Don't bother with this place. It's a dump!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
dear guest,
i apologize for the time you became a guest at the inn, as there was a transition in housekeeping and maintenance unfortunately your unit had damage from guest prior to your stay the fittings and fixtures were displaced And as we as any hotel have guest that do make damage in a room, for there stay. the room in question has had a total uplift and the fittings and fixtures are in place.. including as for myself being preoccupied and not adhering to your needs in a timely fashion please except my aplogize. if you are in north bay again i would be glad to show you the changes that have been made to the unit you stayed... warm regards public relations manager
Terrace, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Pulled in here because it was the first place we saw after driving all night...
Crackheads everywhere. Felt completely unsafe. The door of our room was actually standing ajar and when we notified the manager he seemed indifferent about it. Once we got into the room I was appalled at how dingy and shabby it was. There were cigarette burns, ashtrays - despite having asked for a non-smoking room. The headboards on the beds were askew, there was mold on the bathroom ceiling tiles, the paint was peeling everywhere and this place looks like it hasn't seen a good scrubbing down EVER. There were splashes of brown liquid up the walls, streaks of some other substance across the mirrors and paintings, sticky everywhere, ancient piles of grime and dust in every corner. Missing tiles and cracked windows in the bathroom. We actually found drug paraphenalia stuffed under the bathroom sink. Were it not so late at night and we had not driven all day, I would have stormed the hell out of there! I ended up "sleeping" with all my clothes on, on top of the sheets and using my own pillows. I could not wait to flee this dump the next morning.
The city of North Bay should seriously consider removing any advertising for this establishment from its public by-ways.
The 'management' of this hell hole ought to be ashamed.
Single worst motel stay of my life!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
, Public Relations Manager at Sands Motor Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Dear customer, We would like to sincerly apologize for the inconveniences you may have had at the sands north bay inn, but as time has past almost a year the property has went through a major uplifting in management and structurally the hotel has made major changes. The area of the property has developed new real estate and the overall satisfaction of our recent guest has been very pleased with the low rates and the comfortable,peacefull atmosphere in the area.
please feel free to contact me iif you decide to travel towards our beautiful city
W
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

First let me explain that I was only in North Bay to visit my Granfather in the Hospital.
My first visit to North Bay was awful and the motel has tarnised my view of the city?
Its disgusting!!!
Upon arrival, I found out that they only accept cash, and the rate changes depending on where you are from?? My first thought was, this place is sketchy, I proceeded with the check in process anyways (not sure why) I went to Room #5 (the most popular room on this advisor) and found, the walls were peeling and bubbled from water leaks, the laminate flooring (showed in the pics) was buckeled and displaced, and the smell of the room was that of cigarettes and liquor. The smoke detector was NOT even on the cieling, it was missing (isnt that against the law?) The bathroom floor was wet with an unkown substance?? I immideiately complained and was told to have room #4. When I first walked into room #4, the smell was better, but I was still unsure of what the smell was? The light in the bathroom was blown out, and he REFUSED to change it, as they had no spares?? ( Seriously, how much are light bulbs)? The beds had what Im assuming to be, was bed bugs. ( We made sure to check for this) Immediately upon seeing this, I removed my articles from the room to my car in fear of bringing them home with me. The ceiling tiles had some missing, and some with holes in them (leaking water) onto the toilet and floor. In the bedroom area, there to was a hole in the ceiling that was leaking. The manager REFUSED to give me my money back and argued with me for an hour. I felt unsafe in the motel, as the doors all looked like they had been kicked in, one time or another and didnt sit right in the frames? There were crack heads in room #9 and this too was scary!!! I basically gave (the manager) my $65 dollars cash for an hour of arguing. I was treated with such disrespect and unusual behaviors ~ I have NEVER encountered before and once I told people my story, they advised I should put it on here. I never heard of this site before and I sure wished I had before hand. Thank you to websites like this!!!!! I do have pics and will submit them, once I download them from my phone. Its gross.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sands Motor Inn? Share your experiences!