“a diamond in the rough” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Glen Garry Motel & Cottages

Glen Garry Motel & Cottages
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in North Bay
Glen Garry Motel & Cottages
You added Glen Garry Motel & Cottages to your Saves list
785 Lakeshore Drive, Hwy 11B, North Bay, Ontario P1A 2G7, Canada   |
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in North Bay
Hamilton, Canada
“a diamond in the rough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Our family spent a wonderful night here. From the awesome waterfront and beach looking out over one of Canada's biggest and most beautiful lakes (Lake Nipissing) to the quaint cottage with the retro decor, every aspect of our stay was perfect. Our host (Irene) was helpful, and went the extra mile to make sure everything went as well as it could for us.

Make no mistake, the cottages look like they were built in the 1940s or 1950s and still have the original decor and furniture - but who cares? If you prefer the faceless, joyless uniformity and anonymity of a concrete hotel with no waterfront there's plenty of those just down the road. But if like us you prefer real people and quirky accommodations with a generous slice of nature - then this is where you'll stay.

Room Tip: Go for Cabin 12 if it's available..
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Located just off of Highway 11, on the road leading to the center of town. Drove by this small family hotel/cottages located on the lake.
My room was small, single double bed, but it was comfortable. It is dated, but there was a Lazy boy chair that was relaxing.
There are also cottages on the ground, with views of the lake. At the back of the property is a small beach and chairs for the guests. Sat out there and enjoyed the view.
There is an English pub across the street (where I had dinner) and just up the road is the usual fast food restaurants.
Short drive to the downtown area. Some nice parks, especially the waterfront.
If you are looking for luxury, this is not the place. If you are seeking a clean, quiet and inexpensive place to stay this is it!
I would highly recommend this spot.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I first stayed here as a child sixty years ago.Recently I stayed in both the motel and one of the cottages.Now I must mention that in order to have a decent night's sleep when I travel, and I do travel a LOT!, i always have my down pillow and silk duvet with me.For the first time in a long while I needed neither either in the motel or the cottage. This is not to say that they came equipped with either but what they did have was really comfy and I slept well.This is not your 5 star American hotel it is a rustic place, well equipped and really clean.Motel has fridge and microwave, cottages have that as well as at least a 2 burner gas stove. There are also propane barbecues in amongst the cottages for use. What I really appreciated was the really comfy wing back chair in both the motel units and the cottage I stayed in. Motel units have full bath, but cottages only have showers. Access to the beach is easy... it's right there in front of you. WiFi worked really well in both units.Amenities such as supermarkets, LCBO, and choice of fine dining , fast food, and family restaurants are close by, and of course the lake is right on your doorstep.The owner Irene is very accommodating, and the rates are more than reasonable. Would I stay there again? in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: For a few dollars more go for a cottage.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We love the feel of the cottages. An authentic, original cottage experience, not just clean and comfortable, the location is ideal, the access to Lake Nipissing is top notch. Summer or winter, this is the place to stay when you're in the Bay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Schomberg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our family has been coming here for many years. As has been already stated the cottages are old but clean and the beach is great. Located in a small bay on Lake Nipissing the bottom is sandy, clean and quite shallow. Perfect for young children. The owner goes out of her way to accommodate those people who choose to stay here. Shopping, restaurants and anything else you might need is very close at hand. Any season is a great time to stay here, we look forward to returning again next summer of 2014.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sudbury, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My sister and I had the good fortune of finding this little gem last week. Clean rooms...and wonderful beach on lake Nipissing. The whole time I was swimming in this little bay I was wishing I had my little grandson with me...the beach was that clean and safe.An other guest was fishing on the property and was able to catch a bass...Healthy lake. The owner also showed us on of the large cabins. It was not fancy but had lots of old time charm...three bedroom and even an a crib...and again very clean!
I will indeed be returning to this cozy little home away from home.

Nicole B.
Sudbury, Ontario

Room Tip: we had a non-smoking room and we were pleased with the cleanliness of the room. Room #6.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The cottages are old and quaint. The TV is the size of a European car. The prices are reasonable and it really feels like you are visiting the cottage of your favourite Aunt. Nothing fancy...but it feels good every time I stay, regardless of the season.
(PS. the photo of the white shack has NOTHING to do with Glengarry. I don't know who or why it was put up!)

Room Tip: Just ask to see them. The cabins are best but if you want to save a few more bucks, just get a motel...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Glen Garry Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!