“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Charles Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: French, Steakhouse, Canadian, Tea Room
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Simcoe St
Description: The HOB NOB Restaurant serves contemporary French cuisine with a regional flare. The restaurant features breakfast, lunch, dinner and afternoon tea. Visit the dining room, lounge, wine bar or fully licensed patio where you can enjoy a wide range of delicacies accompanied by a vast selection of Niagara wines. The HOB NOB restaurant has been recommended in publications such as Gourmet Magazine, Wine Spectator and Toronto Life and is the proud recipient of the CAA Four Diamond Award as well as the VQA Gold Award of Excellence.
Cambridge, Canada
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

My husband and I went to the Charles Inn Restaurant for our 30th wedding anniversary dinner. I had stated it was a special occasion when I made the reservation, and made a point of mentioning it to our waitress - but I guess that didn't matter.....

Service was very poor. While our server was friendly enough when she attended to us, her presence was sparse - she never let us know that our meals would be longer than expected because I ordered the cornish hen, she never offered more bread, she didn't check that we were satisfied with our meals once they arrived (prawns on my husband plate were overcooked)..... All in all - food was good, not great; service was poor.... we were certainly disappointed (had a much better meal and service the night before - sitting at the bar - at the Stone Road Grille).

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Toronto
“GREAT tasting menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

Our 1st time ordering a tasting menu, my husband and I were very pleased with the serving size and quality of the each course. We ordered only 1 wine pairing but it was enough for us to share (and reduced the chance of getting drunk!) Wine pairing was good.. the only setback was that the waitress didn't tell us what the wines were. The atmosphere is very cozy, but I think because the place is hardwooded and rooms were small, it felt like our indoor voices were still too loud.

Definitely recommend this restaurant for anyone wanting a nice meal to celebrate any occasion.. I think the price is decent for the meal you get. The thought of this meal still makes me drool today!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Overpriced.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

Pleasant atmosphere. Friendly staff. The food was good, but overpriced.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Hamilton, Ontario
“Disappointing dinner at Charles Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

Six members of our family had a most disappointing winter dinner at the Charles Inn. Lovely setting, but despite reviews food not up to standards of other places in town, such as Peller Estates, Zee's and Hillebrand. Oversalted food, service haphazard and a hostess trooping through on clattering high heels over the hardwood floors. we won't be going back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, ON
“Deserves its reputation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

Loved the food. My risotto appetizer was a tad undercooked but the flavours were lovely.
My boyfriend's soup was fab.

I agree with the other poster about some of the vegetables in the duck dish (the taro root puree was bland but the other veg now benefit from a yummy sauce) but it was worth it for that duck. BF's bison steaks and sausage were decadent and perfectly cooked.

The service was really top notch. Our server was courteous, friendly and he knew everything about the menu. The wine list is extensive but be advised: the by-the-glass pricing is considerably higher than other restaurants in NOTL.

Tip: We were stuffed after two courses but our package included dessert! We overheard our waiter offer to pack up dessert for another couple, so we asked to share one dessert now and took the other one home. They plated the takeout container beautifully, sauce and all!

• 5 of 5 stars Food