“Great Food, pretty patio, good service, but the GUNSHOTS - Oh dear!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Terroir La Cachette Restaurant & Wine Bar At Strewn Winery

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located within Strewn Winery,just a short drive from historic downtown Niagrara-on-the-Lake and the Shaw Theate, Terroir La Cachette restaurant offers a truly regional experience. Through the use of locally grown and raised products, we bring the flavours of the Niagara region to your palate, both on the plate and in the glass. We invite you to taste some of the best wines of the region, with our all-Ontario wine list, and chef Alain Levesque combines French Provencal style of cooking with the best local ingredients, bringing together the finest the region has to offer. Whether it's an intimate dinner for two, a corporate function, or a personal gathering, Terroir La Cachette has the facilities to accommodate you. Stop in for a quick, casual bite to eat, relax on our peaceful patio, or dine in the main dining room overlooking Four Mile Creek.
Mississauga, ON
“Great Food, pretty patio, good service, but the GUNSHOTS - Oh dear!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had been seated only about 5 minute and sipping our glasses of wine when the first LOUD gun shot rang out, followed several seconds later by another and then another.

After that, the sounds of terrified birds fleeing, screeching, some sounding like they are mortally wounded. After that, silence.

What the heck? We were the only people on the patio at that point (12 noon exactly) on a Saturday .... didn't expect to hear gunshots .... wondered if there was someone likely to walk up any moment with a pheasant hanging wrong way up and a rifle slung over his shoulder!

Asked our server when she came back out and we were told this is a recording intended to scare birds out of the vineyard and that it comes on automatically at intervals.

The intervals seemed to be about 10-15 minutes apart ... as the patio filled, I watched more and more diners (many seniors) flinch each time the gun shots rang out. After a while it became rather comical and I laughed and didn't flinch, but in terms of having a romantic ambiance, this is not really a contributor and I would have liked to know about it before making the plan to dine there.

I've been dining at winery restaurants for YEARS on their patios and decks, and I have never, EVER heard this recording of birds chirping, 3 gun shots, and then screaming birds ... and having heard it every 15 minutes for an hour and a half, I won't ever need to hear it again.

Food was delicious. Wine was delicious. The patio is in a pretty enough location although it does not have any special view. Server was good (nothing special, but fine). Dessert was awesome. Would I return? Minus the recording of guns yes I would. Otherwise, no. And now I will ask any winery where I am making a daytime patio reservation whether they use this recording of "guns and birds" and will abstain from dining if this recording is part of their ambiance.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
travelbug050, Owner at Terroir La Cachette Restaurant & Wine Bar At Strewn Winery, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Hi koipond4026! First of all, thanks for visiting us at the restaurant, and I'm glad that you enjoyed our food.

My apologies for the "bird bangers" and the recorded bird noises. Most of the wineries around Niagara use some sort of recorded noise maker in an effort to keeps birds from devouring their product (the grapes). As the owner of the restaurant (not the winery), it's pretty much out of my control, but I will definitely bring your comments to the attention of the winery owners, and see if we can get the noise makers moved so that they are further from the patio dining area.

Thanks for your feedback. Hopefully, we can make some changes so that our diners can enjoy a more peaceful experience on our patio during harvest season!

75% Recommend
Amherst, Canada
“Would return !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Ate here as part of the Grape Escape Wine Tour for lunch. I had the salmon bisque, the pork tenderloin and the caramel creme for dessert. The bisque was ok. The tenderloin is superb and I would highly recommend choosing it ! The caramel creme was like a custard pie. I hate the texture of it. My wife had the tomato soup, the beef and mushroom pasta and the cheesecake. All were excellent ! The patio was very nice. We enjoyed our meal

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
St. Catharines
“Marvellous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Set aside two hours for lunch before a Shaw play nearby. We were enjoying ourselves so much we were late for the play. As we enjoyed the exquisite Provencal food and the terroir Chardonnay, we looked out on a gorgeous garden filled with roses. We have dined at other, better-known wineries, but this small discreet place was by far the best.

Shaker Heights, Ohio
“Delicious Provencal Style Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The service was a bit slow initially, and it took a while for our waiter to stop buy to take a drink order. However, he turned out to be an excellent server, and the food was superb. I highly recommend their signature "Duck Confit"; it is one of the best I've had.

Visited August 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
“Beautiful afternoon lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We planned our wine trip through Niagara on the Lake so that we could have lunch outside at a winery on this beautiful afternoon in August. It was not as scenic as we were hoping but the lunch was excellent. We enjoyed a bottle of the Strewn Winery Rose & thoroughly enjoyed our meals including dessert. The service was very good as well. I would definetly stop here again on a future trip to the Niagara area.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Travelers who viewed Terroir La Cachette Restaurant & Wine Bar At Strewn Winery also viewed

Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario

Been to Terroir La Cachette Restaurant & Wine Bar At Strewn Winery? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Terroir La Cachette Restaurant & Wine Bar At Strewn Winery, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.