“Don't judge this book by it's cover!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Eclectic
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Toronto, Canada
“Don't judge this book by it's cover!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

If not for a recommendation from locals we would have drove right past this restaurant. Not even easy to identify it as a restaurant. As soon as you enter though you see ornate wall paper with bold red, black and white decor. Behind a curtain you'll find a lovely quaint restaurant bustling with activity. We settled in for the full deal. Bottle of wine from their wine list which is exclusively Niagara wineries. Way to go! Appetizers of calamari and tartar, both excellent. All 4 of our dinners were excellent. Then cappuccinos and dessert. Could not resist the very creative maple candy floss but I really should have. That will take days to wear off :-) Chocolate tart was also well received. Would definitely go back. Service was excellent. Thanks!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Markham, Canada
“10 out of 10!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We are frequent visitors to the NOTL area and have tried many different eateries over the years. There have been a few notable "gems" and a few "duds" in the lot. The restaurant is located in a nondescript strip mall and from the outside it looks like nothing special (ask them for the story behind the weird "Rest" sign). However, our opinion changed once we got inside. The food and ambiance were truly special.

The first visit was for lunch on a Saturday with two friends before heading out to see a play at the Shaw festival. It's a good thing we made a reservation because the restaurant was full.

We soon learned that everything they make at the Stone Road Grille is home made which explains the exceptional quality of the dishes. The three of us had the soup du jour which was an excellent tomato with cornbread croutons. It was bursting with tomato flavour and the croutons were the perfect accompaniment.

My friends followed their soup with a burger and fries and I ordered the pasta of the day. Their burgs were made with rib-eye ground on the premises and were the perfect balance of flavour and density. The fries were served with a home made curry ketchup and a home made garlic aoili. Wow! Best condiments ever!

My pasta with wild boar ragu was also exceptional. I don't know what flour they use to make the pasta but it was smooth and velvety and practically melted in my mouth. Probably one of the best pasta dishes I've ever had (including in Tuscany!)

As much as I loved my pasta dish I was craving for the burger and fries that my friends had ordered. So the next day I went back, husband in tow. We both ordered the burger and fries and were not dissappointed.

• Visited September 2013
Oswego, NY
“Absolutely wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

This was our first time eating here and it exceeded our expectations. We ate on a busy Wednesday night (the restaurant was full) and yet the staff was attentive and wonderful. As we were being seated we commented that this was an anniversary dinner and the next thing we knew a complimentary glass of champagne was delivered to our table! The food was amazing...so creative and well executed. The restaurant has an energetic vibe which was very welcome. This restaurant is a definite our next trip to NOTL.

Markham, Canada
“romanticdiners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

It was wonderful to see that this restaurant still "has it" after being in business for 8 years I believe. The food and service was amazing. My husband raved for days about the venison. My trout was cooked perfectly and the sides were excellent complements. A lovely and romantic setting to celebrate an anniversary!

Canandaigua, New York
“Terrific in every way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I loved this restaurant. When I made the reservation, I asked about the availability of carpaccio for my carnivorous friend, and I was told that it was not on the current month's menu, but they would try to accommodate us.
I was thrilled to arrive and have the hostess say "We have prepared carpaccio for you tonight!" Really? When do these things ever work out...
The rest of the meal was exquisite. The service is top notch. We love to query the staff about great wine pairings and our server was very knowledgeable.
The trout that I had was incredible. Seared to perfection. And, if it is possible for shrimp to melt in your mouth, the shrimp tagtiatelle did just that!
Our only disappointment-they did not have creme brulee on the dessert menu.
I highly recommend the Stone Road Grille. Kudos for giving a couple of foodies something to remember!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere