“Two Seniors Stay at the Riverbend Inn” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Riverbend Inn and Vineyard

Save Saved
You added Riverbend Inn and Vineyard to your Saves list
Riverbend Inn and Vineyard
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16104 Niagara River Parkway, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada   |
New Jersey
“Two Seniors Stay at the Riverbend Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My wife and I have stayed at the Riverbend three times in the last 6 years, our most recent stay having been for four nights ending September 14, 2014. My rating for this hotel considers all of my stays, and the fact that the Riverbend will be under new ownership in October, or the rating may have been a notch lower. A fair review should include all of the positive and negative issues, and there is much to like at this hotel:

1) The setting is beautiful. You are in a well maintained inn in the middle of a vineyard.
2) The room décor is very nice... not your standard hotel fair, but tastefully decorated. We stayed in a two room suite which was certainly roomy enough, but, as you will read below, wasn't perfect.
3) The restaurant is first rate. Breakfasts and dinners are enjoyed in an elegant room facing the vineyard. The food was terrific and fairly priced. The beef tenderloin I had was one of the best I have ever tasted and cooked medium rare to perfection.
4) For the most part, the staff was helpful and friendly. However, please read key failures below.
5) Although the location is not within the bustle and energy which is Queen St, the peaceful atmosphere was welcome, and the drive is only about two minutes to where the action is.

The bad:

1) It was a severe disappointment that my room was not cleaned by the housekeeping staff during our second day. We did not discover this until we returned to the room at 10:30 PM. The bed was unmade, the wet towels remained in the bathroom, not a thing was done. The desk person was apologetic and accepted the soiled towels in return for clean ones. The hotel offered, and we accepted a $100 credit and a little basket of wine and crackers, but we did not arrange our vacation to save a little bit of money. It is important to note that I had asked the desk person earlier in the day (at 1:30 PM, before my wife and I went out) when the room would be prepared and he said it would be done around 2:00 PM. I requested that he ask the staff for additional towels. Clearly that request was never made, since no one ever came to even clean the room.

2) The free wifi was worth the price. It was nearly useless in our room. With 3 of 5 bars of signal quite often, I was usually looking at Internet Explorers "oops" message.

3) The pillows were small and hard, and reminded me of oversized chicklets. Bring your own.

4) Don't ask for anything to eat at night after dinner is served. The refrigerators are locked, and the staff cannot access them. My wife and I had a craving for their delicious cheesecake, but it was locked up tighter than Fort Knox.

5) A two room suite should have more than one sink in the bathroom. My wife and I jockeyed for position often, and believe me, we are too old to jockey.

As a final comment, I discussed my housekeeping issue with the General Manager, who seemed really apologetic. She was genuinely enthused with the new ownership which will take over next month. We are not crossing this hotel off our list, but might try the Harbor House next!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I was trying to book a room at Riverbent Inn for my friend's wedding. Linda the manager I spoke to on the phone was extremely rude and unhelpful. To start off, I told her I would like to have the wedding rate and I gave her my friend and her fiance's names. She said "I have NO IDEA who THESE people are, there are SO MANY weddings here". Wow, way to make people feel special to spend $$$ to celebrate their big day at the Riverbent Inn.

I asked her if it's free cancellation. She said to me "There is no such thing as free cancellation. I've never heard of that term in my entire life." She makes it sound so ridiculous for people to use the term "free cancellation", just because she hasn't heard of it herself. Does she even know how to use the internet? she should google more often to learn a few new things in her life.

The Riverbent Inn looks like a very nice establishment. I'm surprised that people like Linda would be hired there as a manager. This place desperately needs a new manager who has communication skills, who is knowledgeable, or just hire a nice person.

I have never stayed there so my review does not attest to the view, service or cleanliness. However, if the manager is any reflection of the establishment, I think I'll pass and book elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
McLean, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We tried dinner at this inn for our last night of vacation. I had high expectations for a special evening out, but it fell far short of my expectations. For starters, the clerk at the reception desk was rude and continued to chat on the phone completely ignoring my husband who was standing right in front of her. We had reservations, but were ignored for some time. Although the dining room only had a couple tables of customers, the servers seemed to be overwhelmed. There were only 2 servers for the dining room. Our server took our orders and we had a hard time getting her attention again to order some wine. I saw bread plates but no bread was brought to our table until we asked. She forgot to serve the bread. Our appetizer crab cakes were very well prepared and quite delicious. The main entrees of seafood risotto was good although there was way too much melted parmesan and the rack of lamb that my husband ordered was way too rare and was cold by the time it reached our table. I would not recommend this restaurant and will not be returning. Needless to say, we didn't stay for desert. Definitely not a lively place, staid, lacking charm, and ambiance.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
barrie ont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

My wife and I visit NOTL at least once if not twice a year because of the great biking routes. This is the first time at the Riverbend and we are already looking forward to our next visit .From the wonderful greeting and friendly person at the desk when we walked in, to the great service and food, to the gift basket when we left one could not expect anymore. WE truly enjoyed our two night stay, thanks to the staff at the inn they deserve all the credit.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Cleveland Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Stayed at Riverbend for 2 nights in a beautiful Victorian style clean spacious room. Niagra on the Lake is absolutely amazing. The vineyards, the parks, the little town, just so perfect. Check in was fast and nice. The old victorian mansion looks small in the lobby but is actually very large. We had the travel zoo voucher so we had many amenities. Our room was perfect with a perfect view of the vineyards. We enjoyed a lovely dinner, a bit costly but well worth it on the patio. We visited many wineries that were lovely as well. Breakfast was included and was tastey. Service was personable and the servers work hard and keep their friendly attitude and professionalism. The lobby staff very personable and accomadating. I completely loved this place and would recommend this place to couples as the romantic setting is so amazing. We recieved a lovely gift of wine, cheese, crackersand a candle as a parting gift. This place is just so wonderful. Thanks Riverbend and travel zoo for a perfect, unforgetable weekend getaway.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Saskatchewan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Booked this inn for our 2 night stay in Niagara-on-the-Lake via a Travelzoo coupon. What good luck! This beautiful inn is located perfectly just a few minutes outside the center of town overlooking vineyards and the Peller Estates Winery. We had a lovely room, gracious hosts, and our dinner at the restaurant was one of the best meals we have had in a long time. Would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: We had a king sized bed on the main floor. It was spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Our fourth return to Riverbend Inn. The accommodations are exceptional with very comfortable bed and furniture and plenty of space in the washroom to lay out all our stuff! Housekeeping does an excellent job of keeping the facility in top shape and the staff is first-rate. The location is perfect for easy access to the town as well as walking and biking trails. We miss the piano in the bar, however, it offered some nice opportunities for entertainment.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Riverbend Inn and Vineyard? Share your experiences!