My wife and I have stayed at the Riverbend three times in the last 6 years, our most recent stay having been for four nights ending September 14, 2014. My rating for this hotel considers all of my stays, and the fact that the Riverbend will be under new ownership in October, or the rating may have been a notch lower. A fair review should include all of the positive and negative issues, and there is much to like at this hotel:
1) The setting is beautiful. You are in a well maintained inn in the middle of a vineyard.
2) The room décor is very nice... not your standard hotel fair, but tastefully decorated. We stayed in a two room suite which was certainly roomy enough, but, as you will read below, wasn't perfect.
3) The restaurant is first rate. Breakfasts and dinners are enjoyed in an elegant room facing the vineyard. The food was terrific and fairly priced. The beef tenderloin I had was one of the best I have ever tasted and cooked medium rare to perfection.
4) For the most part, the staff was helpful and friendly. However, please read key failures below.
5) Although the location is not within the bustle and energy which is Queen St, the peaceful atmosphere was welcome, and the drive is only about two minutes to where the action is.
1) It was a severe disappointment that my room was not cleaned by the housekeeping staff during our second day. We did not discover this until we returned to the room at 10:30 PM. The bed was unmade, the wet towels remained in the bathroom, not a thing was done. The desk person was apologetic and accepted the soiled towels in return for clean ones. The hotel offered, and we accepted a $100 credit and a little basket of wine and crackers, but we did not arrange our vacation to save a little bit of money. It is important to note that I had asked the desk person earlier in the day (at 1:30 PM, before my wife and I went out) when the room would be prepared and he said it would be done around 2:00 PM. I requested that he ask the staff for additional towels. Clearly that request was never made, since no one ever came to even clean the room.
2) The free wifi was worth the price. It was nearly useless in our room. With 3 of 5 bars of signal quite often, I was usually looking at Internet Explorers "oops" message.
3) The pillows were small and hard, and reminded me of oversized chicklets. Bring your own.
4) Don't ask for anything to eat at night after dinner is served. The refrigerators are locked, and the staff cannot access them. My wife and I had a craving for their delicious cheesecake, but it was locked up tighter than Fort Knox.
5) A two room suite should have more than one sink in the bathroom. My wife and I jockeyed for position often, and believe me, we are too old to jockey.
As a final comment, I discussed my housekeeping issue with the General Manager, who seemed really apologetic. She was genuinely enthused with the new ownership which will take over next month. We are not crossing this hotel off our list, but might try the Harbor House next!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Riverbend Inn ; located outside one of the prettiest towns in Canada, along one of the most scenic roads anywhere in the world, stands a Georgian mansion surrounded by 17 acres of vineyards, manicured lawns and gardens, and only minutes from the old town of Niagara-on-the-Lake. Recently restored, all will enjoy the countryside from our bar and restaurant, vineyard patio or settle into one of our individually appointed rooms reflecting our commitment to the finer things in life. Drop by and enjoy a glass of our own Riverbend wine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, Odigeo and Venere so you can book your Riverbend Inn and Vineyard reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riverbend Inn And Vineyard Hotel Niagara-On-The-Lake