“Apparently we were such a hassle...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Riverbend Inn and Vineyard

You added Riverbend Inn and Vineyard to your Saves list
Riverbend Inn and Vineyard
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16104 Niagara River Parkway, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada   |
Ontario, Canada
“Apparently we were such a hassle...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to take a break from work, and take our only weekend off in a while to go to Niagara-on-the-lake. We had never been there before, but some friends of ours recommended the bike ride to the falls and what not.
We picked Riverbend Inn because since we don't do this often, we wanted to do it right. We read the reviews and it seemed like a perfectly relaxing, respectable place to stay.
Well, not really. I suppose they felt that since we were younger they could take out their angers on us? I'm not really sure what their problems were.
When we were booking through expedia (or I was), we had an issue where the date was changed when we booked it. I had picked July 19, but it booked for the next day. So we called expedia and everything was set for the correct date. We arrive at the hotel, and the woman working at the desk realized who we were and started to tell us how we were lucky we got a room at all, and how much of a hassle it was to have to deal with expedia. I felt as if she was telling us that 'you're lucky you even get to stay here', even though we paid the exact same rate as everyone else in that hotel, actually more since we booked a better room. But I shook it off, telling myself she was probably just having a bad day.
We go to the cafe/restaurant to sit down for a cup of coffee while waiting for our room to be cleaned. I asked the hostess if we could sit down for coffee, and she automatically said,
'so where would you like to sit at the bar?', even though almost the entire room was empty. I was a little appalled at this, because her demeanour also showed me that she felt as if we were two stupid kids wandering around in that hotel. Jesus, we're in our twenties.
Anyway, a man came from behind her and snached the menus and said to us come this way. Then I thought, 'Maybe both of them are having a rotten day?'.
We go to the room and leave our things afterwards, take a shower, and got ready for dinner. We wanted to go out in the old town and walk around a bit, so I asked the receptionist (a different lady now) where we could go for dinner. She quickly said, 'Well right over here!' and pointed to the restaurant in the hotel. I found it a little annoying, but I brushed it off and said, 'But really, we'd like to go to the old town.'. So then she replied, 'Okay then, what do you want?' I just looked at her at that point and said never mind. Suddenly she became so polite... ugh.
After that it wasn't so bad, except for the waiter in the morning getting annoyed when we asked for coffee refills.
My advice is that if you're a young couple in your twenties who are looking for a relaxed, romantic weekend, don't stay here. You're going to get way too much prejudice for being young from the staff.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Alliston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed two nights with two other couples taking advantage of a Travel Zoo offer. The superior rooms were very comfortable although not as elegant as some of the NOTL inns. The grounds are beautiful. Our breakfasts were included and they were very accommodating with our many deviations from the menu. We also had dinner one evening. The food was excellent.

If you prefer a location comfortable for walking throughout the town then you probably should look elsewhere. The inn does not offer a shuttle service as some others do. On the flip side, the location offers easy access to the bike trail along the river and is very quiet.

As a suggestion, I missed not having access to a coffee bar in the mornings something the inn should consider.

Room Tip: No elevator, as such a lot of stairs to get to the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
riverbendinn, Manager at Riverbend Inn and Vineyard, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Our Travel Zoo promotions really offer some great deals. Glad to hear your stay was an enjoyable one. Although we are only a few minutes drive to the downtown area, we are a world away located on 17 acres of manicured gardens, grounds and vineyards. The Niagara Parkway trails across the road offer are great for biking or walking.

Although our dining room opens for breakfast service at 8 am, our guestrooms offer coffee machines for those looking for an early morning coffee.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay !

Manager
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My wife and I decided on a mid-week get-a-way for mid-June '14. We were torn between N.O.T.L. the and Fingers Lakes region in upstate N.Y.
We decided on the Niagara region, it being much closer to home and still a great place for a few days. After searching around for places I came across The Riverbend Inn. We prefer a smaller hotel than a chain style one but also not so much the B & B format.

I was all set to book online when I had a change of mind and thought to call direct to see if I could a better deal. Am I ever glad I did!! Our package for two nights, breakfasts, 3 wine tastings, dinner voucher and several more freebees came to just a little over what a one night would have been online. I think all in it was around $400.

We had a huge King Suite at the rear of the inn looking over the vineyards and it was a corner room as well, lots of windows. Furnishing weren't exactly to our personal tastes but certainly fir with the style and ambiance of the place. There was a gas F.P. that was never used but would nice for a fall booking. As I said the room was large, full king bed with nice linens, sitting area, writing/desk and a huge armoire with drawers and a flat screen.

The grounds are well kept, staff were great and the full breakfast was nice touch from a continental one. Parts of the exterior could use some touching up with paint but nothing of any concern.

We ate lunch and dinner at other places just for a change (see follow-up reviews).
No complaints other than it would be difficult for "elderly" to manage a large suitcase up the stairs but I'm quite sure there would help if required.
Overall we would most definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: If possible try for a rear room for a nice view and sunset. I can't recall the room number but i...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
We are glad you chose to visit Niagara on the Lake and stay with us for your recent visit. It's so nice to hear you enjoyed your experience. Our king suite with the balcony overlooking the vineyards is a guest favourite offering stunning views. Although our historical inn does not have an elevator, our staff is always happy to assist guests with their luggage.
You will have to return in the fall or winter to enjoy the gas fireplace, which is a great feature of all guestrooms !

Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My now Husband and I had our wedding at Riverbend Inn and Vineyard last weekend and all I can say is WOW! We live in British Columbia and had been planning our wedding long distance over this past year. We chose Riverbend based on all the wonderful reviews and stunning pictures of the property, and I must say we were not disappointed when we saw the property ourselves a few days before the wedding. I can't say enough about Antonetta, the event coordinator at the hotel. She was in constant contact with us throughout the whole planning process and made sure our special day went seamless. We had nothing but compliments from all of our guests about how wonderful everything was from the set-up, to the service staff and how delicious the food was. I also wanted to thank Antonetta and the staff for kicking my husband off the property the morning of the wedding! Like Antonetta, he is an event coordinator and couldn't help but come to the property the morning of the wedding so see if anyone needed help with anything but was rightly sent back to enjoy his morning with his grooms men. All I can say is that if you are wanting to have a gorgeous, intimate outdoor wedding with impeccable service, then Riverbend Inn is a fabulous choice. We look forward to coming back in the future to celebrate many anniversaries to come. Thank you again Antonetta and the Riverbend staff, our dream wedding would have not been the same without all of your hard work and effort throughout this process. We look forward to returning in the future!

Megan and Marc Babin

Room Tip: Wedding tip: This venue is perfect if you want to be able to have your ceremony, reception and pictu...
Megan & Marc,

Congratulations to you both ! It was truly our honour to host such a special occasion.and are so happy to hear that you, your family and friends enjoyed their time spent at the Inn. Coming from British Columbia and having booked the venue from our reviews and photos, it is great to hear the reality met your expectations.

And, yes, we did have to kick Marc off property the morning of the wedding. We always want the bride and groom to get the wow factor of seeing the tent all done up with flowers, linens, candles and other decor elements.

We do hope your wedding day leaves you with treasured memories shared with your family and friends and wish you all the best.

Hope to welcome you back to celebrate an anniversary !

Manager
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Riverbend Inn in June 2013 and when we saw another Travelzoo deal we were excited to go back. The staff is accommodating and our room was very nice but there were a couple of things that weren't quite as nice as our first visit - both relating to the restaurant. The food is wonderful but they are short staffed. There were only one or two wait staff that covered the restaurant inside and the outside patio. One breakfast we gave up on getting more coffee, tea and the yogurt parfait that we ordered. Another disappointment was the complementary wine flight and cheese plate. I guess I shouldn't complain (since it was free..) but last year we received twice as much wine and three times more cheese and crackers. I happened to have a picture of my husband on my phone from last year showing the cheese plate so it was easy to compare, and not just go by memory. A plus was the gift bag we received upon check-out. I believe last year we received a bottle of wine and some truffles, but this year we also received a candle, some Brie cheese and crackers (so maybe we got our extra cheese and crackers after all...). We will definitely go back again!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

A charming Inn and beautifully located. All of the staff are wonderful and sincerely friendly. Our room was perfect and although there was a wedding happening while we were there, it was very very quiet..highly recommended

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We chose this Inn due to the location to the village, vineyards and the fact it overlooks a vineyard. We had a lovely stay. The room was clean, large, and had a great view of the gardens. The king bed was very comfortable. The service was very friendly and they assisted us with all of our needs. Don't forget to ask for their wine tasting vouchers. Although we did not eat there, the patio overlooking the vineyard is beautiful. The gazebo and chairs are very nice to relax in the evening after all the walking. We took a bottle of our wine and some glasses and took it all in. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Riverbend Inn and Vineyard? Share your experiences!