“Beyond our expectation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riverbend Inn and Vineyard

Save Saved
You added Riverbend Inn and Vineyard to your Saves list
Riverbend Inn and Vineyard
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16104 Niagara River Parkway, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada   |
Vancouver, Canada
“Beyond our expectation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Riverbend is not only one of the most lovely Vineyards we have ever stayed in, but also found the service and food to be excellent.

My husband and I arrived just before dinner and was greeted by extremely friendly and lovely guest host, who then made us a reservation last min to dine in their lovely restaurant.

I would recommend Riverbend for any short-term and long-term vacation stay. Thank you to the wonderful staff at Riverbend, for making our weekend that much more memorable.

Tirajeh & Jonathan Flander

225 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Bradford, on
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

A beautiful inn with a lot of potential, yet resting on their laurels. We would recommend any other inn in the Niagara on the Lake area.

We returned to Riverbend after many happy and successful visits in years prior. Unfortunately, the staff and overall lack of customer service spoiled our entire experience.

Most notably, we had an absolutely awful breakfast at the restaurant. We had ordered the English Breakfast and Banana French Toast. None of the items came out as they were described on the menu. The French toast was cold and soggy, with no fresh sliced bananas. Much worse, the English Breakfast had no mushrooms as was stated on the menu, and the over-easy eggs were pathetic overcooked pieces of rubber that a butter knife could hardly cut through.

After we caught the server's attention ( lucky me) we tried to explain our disappointment. The server rudely argued with us. " that's the way it is, you have to pay" " we have your credit card and will run it after you leave". Now it is time to see a manager. I inquired to be told " no manager in today" I went to the front desk to be told " no manager until 10 am there is nothing I can do". We left our contact info and departed very upset. At 11:00 I called " no manger in until noon" at 2 pm I called " the manager is in a meeting" at 4 pm I called to be told " the manager is still in a meeting"

This whole experience was a comedy of errors. The lack of leadership and poor customer service was evident in all areas of this inn and validates every other negative review.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The website was very impressive and sold us on the quality we would expect of Niagara-on-the-Lake. Then we arrived to long grass and dirty carpets. Our server was rude and was rushing us to finish. I think her name was Amy or Mindy I can't remember. Our son took care of reserving our room for us and said staff were friendly when he booked it. It's in need of a good cleaning and better restaurant staff and just maybe it would be worth the stay.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband, parents and I made the trip to Niagara on the Lake to celebrate our wedding which occurred the day before. We decided to stop and eat at the Riverbend Inn. I wish we would have made a different choice for several reasons. Let me start from the beginning. When we arrived, we asked what the wait was for outdoor seating. The staff explained they could not tell us even a rough guess how long it would be till a table opened up. We sat inside and 5 minutes later, a table opened up outside. We moved outside which had a great view of the vineyard. We ordered soft drinks and I had a glass of the Vidal which was great. All the drink orders were delivered to the wrong person, no big deal we thought. We had the calamari appetizer which was bland and quite frankly NOT worth $18. Then, when lunch was served, again the meals were mixed up. My father asked for his flank steak goat cheese sandwich no horseradish on his sandwich and a side of mayo. The horseradish was on the sandwich with no goat cheese. My husband got the same sandwich but he ordered it as it was described on the menu. He received a flank steak sandwich with horseradish, no goat cheese and loads of onions. So, both sandwiches were completely wrong. Both sandwiches were ICE cold. Both sandwiches were taken away to be returned, WRONG AGAIN. Then the waitress proceeded to tell us the goat cheese has the horseradish mixed in (which it did NOT since my husband had the horseradish on his sandwich). The sandwiches again were ICE cold and were supposed to be served hot. My Mom had the trout which was good and I had the beef in an au jus which was great. I have to say, I was really annoyed that we had four different waitresses and not one of them knew the menu or what we ordered. For the price we paid, I expected MUCH better service. We will not return.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We just returned from staying at the Riverbend for 2 nights. We were initially impressed with the quaintness of the room which was beautifully furnished. We were greeted in a somewhat friendly matter upon arrival, but throughout the rest of our stay was brutal. When we asked a question about using our dinner voucher for lunch instead of dinner, they looked at us like we were crazy. I asked if someone could let us know because we had a wine tour booked over dinner and a spa appointment the second night, and nobody bothered to get back to us. We also had wanted to go for a drink at the bar in the evening and when we asked if the bar was open we were responded to harshly by a staff member saying "there is no bar here, only a restaurant, and it just closed!" This Inn needs to take a serious look at who they employ at their desk...certainly not a good first or last impression. On a positive note, the breakfast at the Inn was great and the wait staff there were very nice. If I were to return to Niagara on the Lake I would stay elsewhere.

Saint Thomas, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Riverbend Inn for two nights in the latter part of July 2013. On the positive side our room was very comfortable and very well maintained although the bed had a huge bump in the centre and sagged on either side. We ate dinner at the restaurant one night and had breakfasts for two mornings. The dinner was excellent and our server was very pleasant and professional. Breakfast one morning was fine although the server seemed unhappy about something and subsequently a tad grumpy. The second morning it took a long time to get breakfast and I had to send my eggs back because they were not properly cooked. While the inn itself is very beautiful my husband and I were both struck by the gardens at the back. We took a drink out to the gazebo and looked back on flower beds that were full of weeds and totally uncared for. The vegetable/herb garden was also overgrown and full of weeds. The lawn and some of the potted plants had not been watered and looked very dry. The patio is in desperate need of some paint and elbow grease. We just don't understand what has happened to the outside of the inn. The folks at the front desk were pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Oakville, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We expected more and just couldn't see the value in this very pricey inn. We went with friends who shared the same opinion, so it wasn't just my isolated point of view. Bottom floor rooms were very noisy from upstairs guests. Bar drinks were overpriced and minuscule. The bed was visibly sagging and not at all comfortable. Breakfast service was ridiculously slow and the server kept making excuses about how busy they were yet the dining room wasn't even half full and only two tables were occupied on the patio. I had to walk into the kitchen to get someone to bring the cheque after waiting way too long for it. I also found it offensive that we were made to feel guilty about not having supper in their dining room. After looking at the limited menu and high prices, I would think they would try harder to appeal to guests rather than assume they have a captive audience. In conclusion, we've stayed in other tourist locations at nicer B&Bs for half the cost and twice the enjoyment. If this is typical of the Niagara on the Lake inn experience, I'll take my money elsewhere in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Riverbend Inn and Vineyard? Share your experiences!