“Another Change.......Another Disappointment” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Olde Angel Inn Hotel and Restaurant

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Olde Angel Inn Hotel and Restaurant
You added Olde Angel Inn Hotel and Restaurant to your Saves list
224 Regent, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada   |
St. Catharines, Ontario
“Another Change.......Another Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2005

I have been frequenting the Angel Inn on a regular basis since the mid 1970's and have witnessed a few changes in ownership and management style over the years. I had been told that new ownership had made some positive changes and decided to "see for myself". Recently a friend and I went for dinner to what had been one of my favourite establishments in NOTL. We were met with disappointment. The pub area had been increased in size and that was good but the beer that was served was somewhat warm and the meal served (all meals had increased in price) was certainly not as generous a portion as had been served in the past. Simply stated, the Angel Inn seems to have fallen into the present NOTL mode...........boost the price, limit the quality and quantity, cater to the tourist crowd.........and be damned with the locals. Too bad..........hopefully this is not yet another NOTL establisment that is not interested in repeat business. I will return after the peak tourist season of the summer is over and give the Angel Inn one more opportunity to impress.

• Stayed August 2005

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2005

The atmosphere of the Olde Angel Inn Hotel and Restaurant was ok but the $28 CAD prime rib and $22 CAD chicken supreme were decidedly ordinary. We had high expectations for the chicken supreme based on the menu but were let down by the small portions and cheap chicken used. We were lucky to have used the Entertainment Card which saved us $20 CAD as we would have been disappointed had we paid full price.

Stayed July 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2005

On a recent trip to NOTL to pick up Shaw Festival tickets, my friend and I decided to eat lunch in the Angel Inn's Pub. I'd heard that it was good. The service was fairly ordinary, although the waitress didn't ask me whether I wanted unsweetened or sweetened iced tea so I got the latter and had to send it back. My friend ordered the Ploughman's lunch which, though on the appetizer menu, cost over $11 CAD and I ordered the Ceaser salad with salmon. I was very surprised to see that her "three cheeses with French bread, fruits and vegetables" consisted of three rather thin slices of cheese rather than the hunks I'd always associated with Ploughman's lunches. Her French bread looked as if it was made by the Wonder Company rather than a bakery and they only gave her three tiny pieces of it. My own salad had reasonably good greens and dressing and the salmon was o.k. but the croutons looked as if they came from the same Wonder company (very tiny squares) and the entire mess was topped with Bacos. To my knowledge, bacon isn't usually part of a Caesar salad, but if it was, I'd expect real bacon bits and not Bacos. It was most definately not worth the price and when I go back next week for an extended stay, we will not be eating there.

• Stayed July 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2005

Last week I had the opportunity to eat at the Angel Inn Restaurant. I am not a big eater, but I ate everything on my plate, and even found room for dessert. The food was better than I have ever had. Everything was cooked just perfect. The waiter was so considerate and sweet. He went above and beyond his job. I loved it so much, I am taking the drive again this weekend to take my entire family there.

Stayed June 2002
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2005

The hotel staff did NOT tell us there was a live band Friday and Saturday nights when we booked the Captain's Room two weeks in advance. ONLY, upon check-in did we learn of the live music - WAY TOO LATE to get another room somewhere - ANYWHERE else!!! Needless to say, we could not get to sleep until one in the morning both nights. The room itself was small and not very clean. The bathroom floor was sticky.

To make matters worse, the staff was not the most friendly and the manager was no where to be found. Since we had an earlier flight out with less than 3 hours sleep (thanks to the band and noisy crowd chatting outside our bedroom window) - my husband left a very expensive pair of sunglasses on the bed. As soon as we arrived home we called - only to be told they don't have them and no one has been in the room except for their staff members. Well - someone has them - perhaps a staff member??? Finally, after leaving TWO messages for the hotel manager to call - we are still waiting. There are PLENTY of other hotels or bed & breakfast places to stay - STAY at one of them!!!! The food is below par too and is rather expensive. The Angel turned into the Devil real fast!!!!

• Stayed June 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2005

I know there will be alot of people that will review the hotel hospitality of this establishment and I cannot comment as I didn't stay overnight. Nor did I eat the food! So why write the review?! Well if you are a Brit and thinking of looking for a piece of home from home, then this place is just like your local. The furniture, beer and the previously described gossipy staff, its all here, the authentic British pub! You have to be realistic, if you are looking for 'fast' New York, or Toronto Business Suite sophistication, this is not the place. This pub offers friendly and polite service with good ale, just what a British guy is looking for as a respite from the endless theme bars, or the Irish pubs throughout Canada and the States. A good old piece of sanctity, forever British and true to its own, even a darts board! Well done on authenticity! It's welcoming and charming and a great stop off while touring Niagara and its beautiful surroundings.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2004

We recently married in canada and we held an impromptu wedding reception at the angel inn.the staff were fantastic [especially with our young daughters] and did sterling work.they dressed the room and tables and provided food fit for kings.the staff at the angel inn are curtious and thoughtful and reflect the very character of niagara on the lake.we are returning next may to stay with them, and cannot wait. p.s. the beer is great too!!!!!

Been to Olde Angel Inn Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!