“World Class wine from a wise winemaker-owner” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Orillia
3 attraction reviews
“World Class wine from a wise winemaker-owner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Have been barrel club members for over ten years and usually visit twice a year. Have found Joe Will to be a consistently excellent winemaker and product line manager, and I can rely on his wines for excellent quality and fair price. I will be a fan for many years to come. I highly recommend Strewn. As a bonus, the on-location restaurant is one of the best in the area.

Visited June 2011

Kitchener, Canada
26 attraction reviews
“Hurray for Niagara Rieslings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

The consultants are very helpful and informed. The rieslings are as good [if not better than] anything you will have in Germany.

Visited December 2011
Hamilton, Canada
29 attraction reviews
“Our "home" winery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

We are three time barrel club members at this winery. Originally attracted by the 1998 Chardonnay we have enjoyed many of winemaker Joe Will's creations since.

There is a terrific tasting bar, knowledgeable staff and a decent restaurant attached. (la Cachette). Add to that a cooking school run by Joes wife and the best "barrel club " deal going and this is a wonderful stop on the Niagara circuit

Ontario, Canada
94 attraction reviews
“Hidden Gem - And an Escape from the Crowds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

STREWN WINERY is a bit of a hidden gem. Our last visit was on November 19, 2011. Strewn is a mid-size winery which offers delicious wines at great prices and is rarely over-crowded. It always has a warm welcome that makes you feel right at home, comfortable to ask questions, and explore your wine tastes. It's unassuming and tucked along a scenic route (Lake Shore Road) near some of Niagara-on-the-Lake's beautiful orchards. Don't underestimate their wines or their dedication to customer service because they are not as 'posh' as some larger wineries. They are the only winery I can think of which is still offering a free wine tour - but there is only one tour a day at 11:30am. Yes - FREE! - and with 3 complimentary wine tastings. This is earlier than I arrive, so I have never been on this tour - but want to!

Since Strewn is a smaller scale winery, you won't know their name from wine stores which buy big-batches. Many are small-batch wines, so they are available only at the winery. (Great for gifts since they are personal and not easily accessed! Also, they have sleek black bottles which are elegantly modern.) They have consistently made some really great ice wines! I've bought a number over the years and know why they win awards. Even better, they are priced very well for ice wines! (Today's icewine purchase was a $45 vidal for the full 375ml!) This visit I tried a variety of 'late harvest' wines - ranging from slightly sweet to almost ice-wine. These are a favourite wine category for us - for their flexibility and appeal to those who find traditional ice wines too sweet. Try them - and you won't be disappointed. There is a small cost for tastings - up to $2/wine for the ice wine - you can't beat this deal! On one of our visits a few years back we realized that it was the winemaker himself behind the tasting bar serving us - and Joe was really down to earth, approachable and just plain nice. And he genuinely wanted to know what we thought. That was a real treat.

Strewn has gained a lot of attention for the attached COOKING SCHOOL and the culinary escapes it offers. I can't say I cook, but I've heard good things!

Strewn's attached resto is called TERROIR LA CACHETTE. I have eaten there a couple of times and its great cold weather food... hearty, creamy and Provence-based cooking. I like the warmth and the casual nature of the place - a good place to gather and enjoy local-sourced food and delicious wines. They do both lunch and dinner - and participate in many of the local festivals like Ice Wine Fest and Fabulicious (which offers great deals). In summer they have a little patio area to enjoy the sun. http://www.lacachette.com

Given the tour, tastings, resto and cooking school, you can have a great full-day here. It is well worth the visit... as is escaping the buses of wine hounds you may battle elsewhere. Fantastic value...but now I guess I am sharing my secret by asking Trip Advisor to list Strewn. I will attach a few photos when I get the chance.

Visited November 2011