“Post Valentines Retreat” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre

You added The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre to your Saves list
The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   48 John St | P.O. Box 1011, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Brampton, Canada
“Post Valentines Retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

A couple of days after Valentines on the Sunday i booked a surprise get a way since we had a chance for an overnight stay and took full advantage of their facilities. We booked a spa evening, I had Reflexology and my husband had a great first hot stone massage, we were outfitted in our white robes and slippers and we relaxed in the spa lounge over green tea and quiet talk then our turns in the massage rooms and our time to be pampered even more, afterwards we didn't bother to change back into our clothes but rather swimsuits and went in the hot springs for a winter night warm up. The cool air was a big contrast to the warm waters that surrounded our bodies and we held hands and just enjoyed the moment. (a suggestion for the spa is you need more space to hang robes which should be numbered so we don't grab others and a dry place to put our slippers ours were soaked when we came out. As a romantic night it was fun and relaxing the entranceway to the hot springs is getting a bit worn I had been there many years ago and don't think theirs been much Reno's on it since. Our room was set away from the main building you had to walk up an outside staircase but it was more private and offered me a balcony space. The rooms are more worn then I remember or just slightly aged but the lobby with antiques and grand fireplace still calls me to it and I sat down and just watched the glow of the fire it was lovely. We were deciding wether to eat breakfast there and I took a quick look at the buffet I was disappointed with the line ups at the egg/omlette station and decided it would be worth the drive to town where they would serve me

Room Tip: Take advantage of off season rates a bit prices in the summer
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Property-Services, Guest Services Agent at The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We truly appreciate you sharing your lovely experience and taking the time to reflect on your stay at the Pillar and Post Inn and Spa. Our goal is to always provide you with exceptional quality and service to ensure your stay is memorable. We thank you for your feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We did the travelzoo deal for 2 nights at the Pillar and Post which included breakfast for both days, 2 cocktails, and some wine tasting passes at nearby wineries.
Hotel itself is a bit dated, but the inside of the rooms have been renovated. I didn't get a chance to hit the spa, but seen plenty of people staying at the hotel in robe attire so it's pretty popular.
if you stay at any one of the vintage hotels, you can take advantage of their dinner special where you can get appetizer, entree and desert for $60 a person at any of the vintage hotels. we went to Queen's Landing for dinner and it was a nice spot right by the lake with nice views.
if you want to do some winery tours, i'd suggest going with a driver so you don't jeopardize safety and your license. a good way to do it, especially if you drove down to Niagara-on-the-lake and have a vehicle, is to hire a service like wedrive where a driver will take you to the wineries you want to go, when you want to, instead of going with the standard wine tours. they meet you where you want them to, and then drive according to the itinerary you set out. we also had them pick us up from dinner and drive us back to the hotel. it costs money, but it costs less than taxi, and other limo services. check it out if you have a vehicle already, why pay premium for limo service?
All in all, nice stay at Pillar and Post. the package really makes it a no brainer.

Cambridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were just there in December. When I found this deal I couldn't resist returning again. This was our 5th time here. The hotel is amazing as far as service, food and the variety of rooms. The spa is wonderful as well although we were not happy that the outdoor whirlpool/waterfall was not working as this is the main reason we booked the hotel. As well, the hot tub by the pool was way too hot and the maintenance dept had to add water to cool it down. If these had been working, this would have rated five stars. Frank in the hotel restaurant was very sociable and provided excellent service, always filling our juice glasses and coffee cups. The buffet was delicious, especially the made to order omlettes. Our room was very large with a fireplace and whirlpool tub as well as a comfy couch to read the newpaper. We were on a travelzoo package that included the upgraded room and drinks in the bar as well as the breakfast the next day for $159. I should mention the attentive service provided by Larry in the bar. Everything was clean in the room and hotel in general with robes provided to go to the pool or spa. There were passes included to a number of wineries which we were able to use for some excellent tastings although they do not expire and can be used at a future date if desired. I will be watching for more promotions in the future and look forward to returning to the Pillar and Post.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues ask for a room on the first floor as there are no elevators in most part...
Stevensville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The inn is very quaint, and decor is relaxed in atmosphere. People seemed very relaxed and at home. The staff were very friendly and helpful. No problems checking in or out.
Indoor pool was ok but seems worn and used...maybe the old feel charm?
Outdoor pool was posted as a hot spring but it's temperature was as cold as the interior pool.
The breakfast was 110%. The town, shopping, gardens and architecture are well worth the trip.
We would go back again.

Room Tip: Corner suite near the pool was quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Property-Services, Guest Services Agent at The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words and appreciation! We are thankful to have such a great team working with us who understand the importance of the little details for our loyal guests! We sincerely apologize for the hot springs not being available for you to enjoy, it was down due to emergency repairs, however, we are happy to let all of our guests know that it is back up and available for use as well as our outdoor pool to boot! We look forward to seeing you in the future and we thank you once again for all your compliments!
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have planned a bachelorette party at Niagara on the lake. I chose the Piller and Post because I wanted the girls to enjoy the spa before we would head out to the wineries. When I arrived all was well, I was there first because my massage was very early. When I came out after my massage it all went down hill.
1. 3 of the 6 massages were not in the spa system, including the brides (I received a confirmation call 2 days before our arrival about my booking, I booked over the phone)
2. Before I booked my wine and dinner tour, I called the hotel making sure I would receive a transportation. I was told yes, however, the day of our dinner, I was told that the car does not go that far. (It was literately a 5 min drive)
3. when I called the front desk about this, I was told that there is only competent ppl working at the Piller and Post, she was apologetics about MY confusion, but this was not their fault. I almost last it, at the end of that conversation, she said " I apologised, what else do you want me to do"
4. The bride was overcharged on her room. She had booked her room over the phone and got a quote, when she was checking out, she was overcharged by $20 pp.
Fortunately, she got that money back.

I do believe you get what you pay for...$309+taxes/ for a night, is not worth it. The service at the reception is terrible. I have travelled extensively, and I have to say, I was very surprised as how things work at this hotel.

Room Tip: Good luck!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Property-Services, Guest Services Agent at The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding your experience here at the Pillar and Post. After speaking with our Spa Manager, I understand that your concerns were addressed while you were here. I am happy to know that complimentary services were provided to the members of your party who were inconvenienced. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention, as we are always striving for improvement and to be the best!
Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We booked a over night stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and i have nothing but good things to say. The service is amazing, they really care about your time and giving you a memorable experience. From the checking in the awesome service started. Our room had a complimentry bottle of wine and a card saying Happy Anniversary. We headed down to the lounge and Ashley was the sweetest server ever, we talked wine, and you can tell she loves what she dose, we really enjoyed our lunch which was fantastic, my husband had the prime rib sandwich, so tender and delicious!!! Ashley makes the best lemon drop martini ive ever had!!! We went for a swim in the beautful indoor pool, and Ashley sent us chocolate covered strawberrys, talk about feeling like special guests!!! Thanks Ashley, we enjoyed them! The hot springs was awesome and relaxing. Now our dinner in the dinning room, well amazing!! Tara had a beautiful table in front of the fire place waiting for us. She took special care of us, it was perfect Tara, your extra attention to us and making our night special will not be forgotten!! Our server Patti was awesome as well!! She is excellent at what she dose, and her service perfection! At the end of dinner we choose a dessert and Tara and Patti brought it, it had Happy Anniversary written on the plate, and then it was given to us complimentry!! For dinner i had marrekesh salmon, with pesto mashed , amazing, and my husband had prime rib, again amazing!! I cant say enought about the food the service our room, everything was perfect. Tara, Ashley and Patti, thank you for making our time so special, we will be back because of you all!!!

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

First, let's start with the positives:
- Food at the Cannery restaurant was fantastic and I wrote a separate review for that part of our stay.
- Accommodations were outstanding. Beautifully appointed room and the resort has beautiful decor throughout. Very relaxing feel.
- Pool and Hot Springs - gorgeous!
- Spa - fantastic couples massage
Less positive:
- Spa - while our treatment was fantastic, the spa itself wasn't as good as others we've experienced. The spa was extremely busy the day of our massage and the common lounge area where you await your treatment was packed, including a family with their children in attendance. While not horrible, sitting around in a robe in a crowded room isn't to our taste. Also, the common change area in the women's room (which during my visit also had chlldren in attendance) felt a bit more like a gym than a luxury spa.
- Housekeeping - We were staying at the resort for 2 nights. Our first morning, we went out on wine tours, so were out of our room from about 9:30 in the morning until 1:30 in the afternoon, when we returned to get ready for our spa appointment. The room had not been made up even though we had left our signage out to do so. We figured they knew our spa appointment time and were awaiting that time to clean the room, but when we returned at 3:00pm, still the room wasn't made up. We then decided to nap until dinner, and put up the do-not-disturb sign. We then got notice at 5:45 under the door that they were unable to do turn-down service due to our sign, but the room had never even been made up to begin with. To be fair, when we raised this issue with the front desk, they were very responsible. During our dinner, they made up the room for us and left us a gift of chocolates. Still, having your room made up is part of the luxury you associate with a weekend away, so it left an impression on us.

We've been to many of Ontario's Finest Inns and this was our first Vintage Inn. In comparison, it fell a little short for us. I think because it doesn't really have the personal touch that we've come to expect at Ontario's Finest Inns. Maybe just a bit too big for us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Property-Services, Guest Service Agent at The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you very much for listing the positives you had during your last stay at the Pillar and Post. As we are always striving for ways to improve and enhance the experience of our guests, your thoughts and feedback are critical to our success. I would like to apologize for the housekeeping concerns you mentioned and I will be sure to pass on your feedback to our management team, to ensure our procedures reduces the likelihood of this happening to our future guests. I would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade for your next visit!

Been to The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!