“Beautiful Hotel During the Holiday Season” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre

You added The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre to your Saves list
The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   48 John St | P.O. Box 1011, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Kitchener, Canada
“Beautiful Hotel During the Holiday Season”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

I'd like to preface my review my saying that I took advantage of a last-minute deal that I received through travelzoo. The deal was $199 for a room, 3 course-dinner for two at the Cannery Restaurant, a bottle of wine in the room and free internet. You could also pay a little more for upgrades of various kinds, and so I did. I paid an $80 premium to get a suite, which is the highest category room at the hotel, and I'm glad I did.

Our arrival at the hotel was shortly after 3pm, which is check-in time. There was no lineup at the front-desk, but the valet and bell staff were nowhere to be found. Oh well. I self-parked and we only had 1 small bag since we were spending just one night. Check-in was prompt and efficient, and we were directed to our room.

The hotel was decorated in a beautiful way for the Christmas Season. They must have a massive storage facility to store all of the decorations that are aboslutely all over the property.

Since the hotel is an old cannery, the layout is a bit quirky. Some rooms appear to be in another building which is accessed outside through the pool and courtyard. Other rooms are in the interior of the hotel and actually don't have an exterior window -- only a window looking out into a hallway, which of course one would never have open when in the room. Had I booked at the regular rate, and received one of these rooms which are likely to be the standard room at the hotel, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been happy with that situation. So my word of advice is to be very careful with the room category you book. If you can swing it, at least get one level of upgrade which I think will help you to avoid those terribly-located rooms.

Our room was located across from the Presidential Suite, on the third floor located over the spa area of the hotel. The room was very spacious, with a large canopy bed, a large couch in front of a TV, and a separate sitting area by the window. Since it is an older building, the windows are small -- so for the size of the room there wasn't much natural light, but no matter -- the room was great. The best part was a gas firepalce, which my wife insisted we keep roaring all night -- so we did! The barthoom was also well appointed, with a separate shower and a large jacuzzi tub.

We made use of the indoor poll, which is in a lovely atrium with high ceilings and skylights and beautiful brick walls. I'm a bit of a picky person when it comes to hotel pools since most of them in standard hotels like a Hilton or Sheraton often look sort of nasty. This one was quite nice. My only complaint would be that, since it was busy and at a time when school is out, there were a lot of kids. My suggestion would we perhaps to have an "adult hour" when adults could use the facilities without any splashing from kids. They also have an outside "hot springs", which is more like a large landscaped jacuzzi outside. I didn't get a chance to use it because it was quite busy, although my wife did. Again, adult hour would be nice as it's quite a bit smaller than one might expect from the pictures on the hotel's website.

We also went to visit the spa, and it sure was busy. For some time there wasn't any room in the lounge whatsoever. While the spa is lovely, their claim that it is the best spa in North America or whatever they were awareded is not even remotely accurate. The lounge area is also an area where they serve food -- not entirely relaxing. Also, you could hear the voices of loud people in the hot springs through the wall. And nothing says luxury like laminate flooring...Otherwise, the spa area was fine. I would rate my massage as great and my wife would say it was good. They were completed by RMT's.

We had dinner in the Cannery restaurant, and the decor was cottage comfy. The food was slightly underwhelming, although it was fine. Nothing special, nothing bad. What is terrible, however, is the mark-up on the wine. My wife and I know a lot about Ontario wine in particular, and bottles that are $14 in the LCBO or at the winnery are nearly $40 in the restaurant. I'm accosted to 2X markup, or maybe slightly more, but in this case most of the wine was marked up 150% if not more for the lower-end. The higher-end stuff, like the vintage Champagne, had more reasonable markups from a percentage point of view, but that is typical. Even though I try to support Ontario wine whenever I can, we ended up going with a bottle of Kim Crawford Pinot Noir for $50 (I think), since it was a better value in my mind for the quality of the wine.

In the morning we did room service to the sutie, and thought it was priced alright for the quality. I enjoyed it. I like that they don't add a $3 delivery fee or whatever as some places do, in addition to the 15% service charge.Although the fact that they have a resort fee kinda irks me a little bit, as I'm finding this is becoming more common, such as in Las Vegas where it really pisses me off.

All in all, we had a wonderful stay, and for the price I would certainly do something like that again -- especially during the holiday season when the place is so beautiful decorated. It offers a much different expereince then the Queen's Landing, for example, and it was great for a cold winter's night.

And so, if you're prepared to pay for what you're getting, and can afford a room that is upgraded, I would recommend this hotel. At double the price in thesummer, however, I'm not sure I'd be back unless I could find a good deal. I'll give it 5 star for what I paid, but if I paid $200 more for my room than I did, and had to pay for my dinner in the restaurant, I'd be knocking it down a notch.

Room Tip: Make sure you pay for an upgrade -- you do not want an interior room with no exterior window, and a...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Hamilton, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Just returned from two days (one nite) @ Pillar&Post. The spa services are superb.. what a massage!! and not as expensive as most exclusive spas in Toronto or western New York. The room was well appointed, roomy, even a long stemmed rose on our pillow at bedtime. The food was good, not cheap but good value. The pool is large enough for us to swim laps. We loved the outdoor hot spring in minus zero (celcius) weather. Will go again. highly recommend.

Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

Christmas with my Dad at the Pillar and Post. Overall very nice - staff were very accommodating and pleasant. We each enjoyed spa treatments that were well done. Best spa I've been to - lovely facilities (although staff room is next to spa lounge and could hear staff laughing and talking through the walls). Bar and dining room decor a little dated. Food was good - not great - but good. "Deluxe" room was small with a tiny bathroom. Beds were very comfortable. Outrageous that hotel charged $10/day for WiFi, given that WiFi is free at most coffee or pizza places. Overall, a lovely 3 days only marred by the very high bill at the end. Spa services come at a premium, and additional service charges and "resort fees" really added up. Would like to return, but prices too high.

Room Tip: Being near the spa is nice -- can walk between the spa and the room in a robe.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

This is my second time visiting Pillar and Post and I stayed for one night. Since my first visit over 5 years ago, the property still looks very clean, no signs of anything looking old and run-down.

Our room was spacious and clean, the linens were very comfortable. I should have had a very good nights sleep, but unfortunately with the combination of having a late dinner and some noisy neighbours, I didn't. Can't blame P&P for that...

The spa is where you will be impressed. They have a steam room (women and men's separately), dry sauna, indoor pool, indoor jacuzzi, and the piece de resistance is the outdoor hot tub. Who would think that in the middle of winter, that you can go outside and relax in a warm tub? There are clean robes, slippers and plenty of towels that are provided.
Coffee, tea and fruit is plentiful to enjoy in between treatments.

We had dinner at the Cannery, and the service was great. The food was delicious and portions were large.

The overall service from the front desk, spa attendants, waiters were great. I need to come visit more often!

Room Tip: The rooms along the walkway that go to the spa are noisier as it's a high traffic area... Try to...
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

|We have stayed at four of the Vintage Hotel properties; The Millcroft, near Orangeville,and the Queen'.s Landing, Prince of Wales and the Pillar and Post, all in NOTL. All of the properties are beautiful and well staffed and we enjoyed them all but the Pillar is our favorite. We have spent the last five Christmas's at this hotel and it has become a tradition. This property is not as upscale as the other Vintage properties and that is what we like about it. It is always beautifully decorated and furnished but it has a cozy, homey feel to it that has alot to do with the staff. One thing you will consistantly find at any of the Vintage properties is the excellance of the staff; they are polite and welcoming and bend over backyards to make your stay one that you won't forget. We have our favorites; Gerardo and Arthur at Tiara [ Queen's Landing] and Larry, Elizabeth, Dereck and Jeff at the P&P. It always amazes me how they remember us from year to year and it is always nice to see their familiar faces when we return. The staff at these hotels tend to stay put which is an indication that management treats them well and so they should. Nothing is too much trouble and they seem delighted to do anything that makes you happy. This year we had a wonderful lady named Victoria cleaning our room for us. We went out the first afternoon we were there and came back to find that she had put a little Christmas tree in our room, all decorated and lit up. What a wonderful thing to do and it made us feel very special. Our room was spotless and the beds are very comfy.
The pool, hottub and outdoor hotsprings are fabulous and the food in the lounge and dining room is very good.
We have two favorite hotels in Ontario and this is one of them. The location is great - it is a short walk to the heritage district but is off in a quiet area away from all the bustle. They have a shuttle service that will take you almost anywhere you need to go and they are happy to arrange wine and sightseeing tours for you.
We usually manage to stay here a couple of times a year [ we love the Shaw festival] and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Bring two bathing suits and a pair of flip flops. You will want to use the pool and hottub facilitie...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

The spa seems nice but I found for the money that it is not very "tranquil". First of all, the desk upstairs should be handling the checkins and checkouts. I shouldn't have to walk by people buying gift certificates etc. in my robe. Then in the waiting room, it is relaxing until someone gets there lunch brought in. I like the smell of the lotions/oils not someones salad dressing. Hearing also someone cutting up there lettuce is also not relaxing. Once brought in the room for the massage the walls are paper thin so you can hear all the conversations out in the hall as well in the next room. The points were given to the masseuse. She gave a good massage . I found this place over priced and would not recommend.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

We had our company Christmas party at the hotel on December 20. The lunch was fabulous! This was the best experience ever. Working with Sandra Sir was seamless and so effortless. Everything was perfect. The food was delicious, and the service excellent. We have come to the hotel for our Christmas party for about 15 years, and we love the Old Library (we came before then, as well). I also had several birthday parties here and Christmas brunch almost every year. We will definitely keep coming back!

Room Tip: N/A Ours was just a lunch.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!