“A great place to stay and dine” 5 of 5 stars
Review of White Oaks Conference Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added White Oaks Conference Resort & Spa to your Saves list
White Oaks Conference Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   253 Taylor Rd SS4, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Toronto, Canada
“A great place to stay and dine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

White Oaks is one of this "go-to" places that we return to when we are visiting the Shaw Festival at Niagara-on-the -Lake. Whether you stay in the tower or the main building makes no difference as the beds are great, rooms are well appointed, clean, spacious and welcoming. The bathroom is large with lots of spots for your toiletries: they've thought of everything. The restaurant Liv is also exceptional with incredibly fresh and delicious food. i keep promising myself that i will book a chocolate or grape body wrap, but never think about it until we're actually there. The swimming pool also looks very inviting.The location is right off the highway and one would never think that such a wonderful spot is so accessible. Their breakfast especially will start you on your way.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Lakefield, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I was recently at the White Oaks for a conference.... the staff is incredible and accommodating! anything you need.... no problem! Helpful, happy staff eager to make your experience perfect. The hotel bathrooms (in the public areas) are impeccably clean, the hallways are spotless... the food should have a review of its own!! WOW!! have enjoyed the food, so fantastic! flavor, variety and presentation are second to none! Our suite was great too... beds turned down at night, chocolates on the pillow... everything tidy and clean, just perfect! This location is amazing, and attention to detail is never missed. I am looking forward to returning next year especially because they seem have great staff retention, and the staff remember us when we come back and are glad to see you!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Great hotel, very professional and welcoming staff. You must try the Liv Restaurant, the food was wonderful and the service impeccable. Clean, well appointed rooms. Gorgeous view from our garden suite.
A special two day stay.

Room Tip: If you can get a garden view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

If you're like us you'll stay here as opposed to staying with the crowds. Not only is this a very convenient location, it enables you to go to the Hampton's Like town that's a few minutes away! Great restaurants and shops.
Get the Pass for the Falls and use the Free bus service to see All the sights. Don't miss the Botanical Gardens and the best Butterfly display we've ever seen.
By staying here you avoid the hassles close to the touristy Falls but enhance your stay.

Room Tip: We didn't stay in the Tower
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I attended White Oaks Conference Resort and Spa on September 21 for a ladies lunch at Play Urban Cafe. It was such an amazing time! We had excellent service, all 10 of us thoroughly enjoyed our meal (the lentil salad is a personal fav.), and we treated ourselves to the chocolate fondue for dessert. It was the perfect end to our lunch; the fresh fruit, homemade marshmallows and cookies served with the silky chocolate to dip into was incredible!!!

Stayed September 2013
st. catharines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

My sisters and I along, with our daughters recently spent some time at the Spa at White Oaks for some much needed girl time. We all chose different services, and felt completely pampered! I enjoyed a body glow treatment and would recommended this to anyone! The spa was able to accommodate all of our appointments at once and we got to spend some relaxing time together in one of their peaceful lounges. To top it all off they even treated us to a wonderful fruit plate. Thank you so much for your high level of service, our time together as a family is very important and the team at the Spa at White Oaks has given us irreplaceable memories.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Barrie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

White Oaks Resort has long been a favourite destination for our family of four. Indoor tennis courts, a Starbucks on site, two world class restaurants, and wonderful service from every employee you encounter - these are the things we came to appreciate about this five-star resort.

Regrettably, the last two times we called to make reservations, we were disappointed by the blatant lack of manners from the reservations department.

The first incident involved the reservations supervisor; when she took my call, I gave her the name of our corporation to see about their corporate rate. She dismissively told me that our corporation was not registered, and after I explained that this had always happened before, that whoever took my call had trouble locating our corporate account, she dismissively told me yet again that it was not on her list. After asking her a third time to look for our information, she located it, and when I politely asked her to let me know how I might ask a reservations specialist to look for our corporate account when calling in for future reservations, she audibly snorted on the phone, ignored my question, and asked me if I wanted to go ahead and make a reservation.

It's like she was puffed up with pride, unable to convey even a hint of an apology for being so dismissive, when all I wanted to do was to try to avoid the same confusion on future calls. I explained my intention to her, and again, she ignored my thoughts and coldly asked me if I wanted to go ahead and make reservations.

I was shocked at her behaviour, as on ten to twelve previous visits, I consistently found the reservations specialists to be incredibly warm, patient, and helpful, even when they had trouble locating our corporate account.

The second instance was when I called in to make a reservation for a Thursday evening. The rate that they offered me was significantly higher than what the website was quoting, so the representative told me that she would give me the off-season corporate rate, which I thanked her for. It was a pleasant conversation. A little later that day, I called back to ask that they modify our reservation to add a second night, as my wife decided that we should stay for two nights, and the lady I spoke with told me that the room was available and that she took care of it.

When we arrived to check in for this visit, the front desk people (who were wonderful, as they have always been) showed me the quote for the visit, which was the rate that we had discussed for the first night, but a significantly higher rate for the second night. I had wrongly assumed that they had given me the same rate for the second night, as the rep who I spoke with about that second night didn't say anything about a higher rate, which, in hindsight, I feel she should have done.

I was okay with this, but I wanted to double check with the reservations department to be sure that it wasn't a mistake, and when the front desk staff put me on the phone with the reservations rep, she basically told me that it was her who added the second night, that she remembered telling me the rate was different. I told her that I didn't remember her telling me that at all, but that I could accept the higher rate for the second night. But I felt like she was accusing me of being a liar, like she was combative, which is such a departure from our experiences with White Oaks over the past two years.

After check in, our stay was wonderful. All the other staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly.

This review is simply to bring attention to the owners of White Oaks that in our experience, there are two people in the reservations department who are far from displaying patience and grace in dealing with clients. Perhaps they feel that they don't have to be as friendly and patient as other staff who actually see clients face to face. The reality is that the reservations department is the first point of contact for clients, and the last two encounters left me feeling horrible.

Michael and Kheng and the other gentlemen who greet us at the front door continue to be consistently kind and helpful. The front desk staff continue to make us feel welcome on check in. The staff at Play, Liv, Starbucks, and the tennis club really make us feel like it is their pleasure to welcome us to the resort.

We don't wish for anyone in the reservations department to be written up or penalized, as it's always one person's word against another's. But based on how they treated me on two recent occasions, I have a strong feeling that the culture of that particular department has changed over the last year and not for the better. I think it would be of benefit to White Oaks to review their mission statement with this department and ensure that the culture in that office is in alignment with the rest of the resort.

Room Tip: We enjoy staying in the tower.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Exec-DirectorWO, Manager at White Oaks Conference Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
We can not begin to express our shock at the description of your interaction with our Reservations department. At White Oaks we strive to provide the highest level of customer service and this is far from any feedback we have ever received about one of our team members or departments. It is unfortunate that this situation was not brought directly to the attention of Management at the hotel so that we could have looked into the interactions immediately. We could have listened to the reservation calls, discussed the situation with the agents involved and followed up with any kind of customer service training if we felt it was needed. We certainly do not take comments like this lightly and always want to get both sides of the situation to find out what steps need to be taken next. Thank you for bringing your experience forward we will be sure to look into this further.

Been to White Oaks Conference Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!