“ArcelorMittal Tailored Blanks Annual General Meeting - January 2012” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Prince of Wales

You added Prince of Wales to your Saves list
Prince of Wales
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Picton St | P.O. Box 46, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Whitby, Canada
“ArcelorMittal Tailored Blanks Annual General Meeting - January 2012”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We recently held our annual general meeting at the Prince of Wales and we were extremely happy with the hospitality, the food, the service and the overall experience we had during our three day stay.

I would recommend it for any meetings you may have.

Jay Traynor
Director of Human Resources
ArcelorMittal Tailored Blanks Americas

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

We recently stayed for an early Valentine's Day 'over-nighter' and loved our stay. Knowing it was a special occasion they upgraded us to a beautiful room on the third floor, with a jacuzzi tub. Because we stayed on a Sunday evening off-season the hotel was very quiet. We roamed the entire facility taking pictures and drinking in the ambiance of this heritage property. No detail has been over-looked; even the back stairways are resplendent with Victorian reproduction artwork. All of the staff we encountered went out of their way to offer assistance, including offering to take our photo's all over the property. Although we ran out of time to sample the Spa, Hazel gave us a great tour and we'll definitely try it on our return trips. We've found our favourite location when traveling to Niagara.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
MichelleGMPW, General Manager at Prince of Wales, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Dear Ontario Wanderers,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit as you savoured a relaxing evening. Hazel is a gem in our spa and I am pleased that you had an opportunity to meet her. I am happy to know that you are thinking of us for a return visit. Hope to see you again soon.

Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Stayed twice in the past five months with my wife and two children and both times were left disappointed realizing that the quality of the product and some areas of service have declined. Back in 2006 I had written a fabulous review about this property however since then I have noticed a decline in quality and service. Oct. 2011, I took my wife, two children and my wife's mother; had booked two rooms, a King suite at a rate of $499/ngt. and a King Deluxe Room at a rate of $399/ngt. Beware that this hotel has two towers; although it remains a very small hotel without many rooms, there is a huge difference of staying in the south tower compared with the north tower. Big difference is that the north tower you can access an elevator to get to your room and to go to the spa, fitness centre or swimming pool you are all connected while if you are staying in the south tower then you have to trek up and down stairs and walk through the lobby with your bathing suit on to another wing to get to use the spa facilities. Not suitable when travelling with young children or older people. No signage re: where the pool nor fitness/spa are located so if you do not know this place very well, you will get lost and frustrated. Is it too difficult for them to post a sign in the guest corridors leading clients in the right direction? In Oct. 2011, the breakfast buffet was dirty and poorly stocked; flies all over the bread and pastry basket and items were stale and poorly presented; to add to the dirt there was dried egg at the bottom of one of the buffet plates. Now this would be acceptable if perhaps you were paying only $5 for the buffet however when you are paying $30 per person for the breakfast buffet then you would expect a certain level of cleanliness and product quality; service that stay was nothing major and I had to ask the server for simple things like, more coffee please, or could we have some water; hard to get the attention of staff that day as they wanted to congregate and talk to each other rather than taking care of their customers. Again to me this was a complete surprise as back in 2006 we had a fabulous stay along with superior service. A noticable change! So after addressing my concerns to the management team following our Oct. 2011 stay they offered for us to come back compliments of the hotel with the same room types for a future stay; so we came back in Feb. 2012 for a return stay and I was again not impressed. Check-in was a mess. One person and sometimes two people checking customers in however no order whatsoever nor concern to expedite the process. Our rooms that we received were not the same types as I had paid for back in Oct. 2011; no card no letter from the management team welcoming us back. You would think that after spending over $1500 for two rooms along with food and spa services back in Oct. 2011, they would want to welcome us back in Feb. 2012. We are frequent customers of the Prince of Wales and it certainly did not seem they wanted to acknowledge our loyality for all these years. Having said all this, the spa service my wife took was awful; they left mascara running on her face after a full 1 hour facial; don't you think that make-up should have been removed from my wife's face before the facial was complete, certainly not letting her leave the spa room with running mascara; she looked like she was the devil? The afternoon tea service was slow with a decline in care for the client; a decline in noticable service from a few years ago. The breakast in the morning was much improved from last Oct. however no toast at the buffet, no jams, and when you are paying $30 per person for breakfast you would expect these items to be at the table. The pool area needs attention as well. There was an empty bottle of wine under one of the pool chairs that was left there for the past two days and no one cared to remove it and throw it away. Who was even permitted to bring in a bottle of wine in a pool area; not acceptable! The hot tub in the pool area had green slime on the tiles; yuck! While some who read this review may think I am being picky, I'm not. Simply look at all my reviews on tripadvisor to notice that I place a lot of care in reviewing a property that I stay at. I had reviewed the Prince of Wales as 5 stars back in 2006 however now after staying two times in the past 5 months I would downgrade this hotel to a comfortable 3 stars. I will not pay to stay here again. That's too bad as it was a good getaway place to go to on the weekend to wind down from a busy work week.

Room Tip: in the north tower accessible by elevator.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest and Family,

I wish to apologize again for not meeting expectations. I, too, was very disappointed as discussed with you personally, especially since you did see my note addressed to you at the desk - We did miss delivering it to you. I am pleased that we were able to connect and fully review the details of your visit, which also included immediate follow up calls from both our Front Office Manager and Spa Manager. I appreciate the time you provided to me over the telephone to clarify some of the comments. I do hold faith that you will reach out to me when you plan your next visit to Niagara on the Lake.

Kindest Regards,
Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Most beautiful hotel in the most beautiful town in Canada. Above board customer service. After a fruitless search for our bottle opener in the room, we called the front desk, who advised us they'd tell the bar, and have one brought up. Turns out the bartender couldn't find one, so he RAN to our room with his! Apologizing profusely, he opened our wine for us, then tracked someone down in housekeeping personally, to bring us out own.

Turn down service every night is lovely, we saved the roses left on our pillow each night and had a lovely little bouquet by the end of the week!

The spa was a bit small, but lovely, and you're invited to use the spa at their other 2 facilities in town as part of any purchase. One even had hot springs!

We had our wedding dinner in the main dining room (eloped that week) and it was just perfect. The pastry chef even made us a miniature wedding cake based on a picture I'd emailed him the week before.

High Tea was a real treat, and again, just dripping with luxury and beauty.

We can't wait to go back! Eagerly anticipating an anniversary trip!

Room Tip: They're all gorgeous, beautiful woodwork, curtains, and marble baths!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We just stayed here, over the weekend of Feb 11. What a truly impressive place. We have stayed at Fairmonts and other luxury hotel chains worldwide and this place was absolutely top drawer in terms of staff and service. Cooper who checked us in/out was great. Great advice and knew just how to handle any requests we had - nothing too big or small. Bellmen (Jason) was incredibly accomodating (can you grab our ipod from our sub-zero car please - "no problem"!).

Tip: my wife is pregnant and was really having a tough time with the cold. They actually had the hotel shuttle drive us just about anywhere we wanted to go. You need only ask.

The cleanliness, the quality of the rooms, the decor, the food, the spa....all of it was just so well done. My wife used to work in a spa and even she was impressed.

I would really recommend this as an incredible weekend getaway. I would be stupified at how someone wouldn't enjoy themselves.

Enjoy - we WILL be back!

Room Tip: winter rates are a bargain
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

The front desk was under-staffed when we arrived and the check-in process was very slow. This does not take anything away from the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, who were wonderful. There were also insufficient bellmen to assist with the luggage, so I had to take ours to our room myself. Its a beautiful old building with confusing corridors, so it can be easy to get lost. My wife fell in love with the room, but I felt for the cost it should have been bigger. I am only giving it 3 instead of 4 stars because of the cost. It was a great experience, but returning for another stay would be cost prohibitive.

Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Wonderful stay at the Prince of Wales as a one-night vacation for my husband and I. We stayed in a premium King Suite which was lovely. The room had a fireplace and a jacuzzi tub and a bay window. The room was part of a special to go with the Ice Wine Festival and included free tastings at 5 wineries. They also included shuttle transportation to Peller & Jackson Triggs, but you were on your own for the rest. We had a tough time figuring out how to arrange transportation at a reasonable rate since no one really offers a winery to winery shuttle-type service (if someone did, they'd make a ton of $$ during these festivals)!

We had dinner and brunch at the restaurant and it was amazing. The wine is overpriced especially considering it's local, but we had pretty much expected that.

The staff were helpful and accommodating and we really enjoyed our stay. Thank you!

Room Tip: You can inquire about what building you're in - the hotel is older and is split into a few diffe...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
MichelleGMPW, General Manager at Prince of Wales, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Thank you for joining us over the Icewine Festival! We had a fantastic weekend filled with activities at the property and throughout the town. The weather over Icewine weekend could not have been more ideal! Our main building is fully elevator accessible and we will gladly accommodate those requests as required. We do have a trolley that hosts structured wine tours on a daily basis, but your suggest regarding some alternate transportation for festivals is a great point and I will share this with my team. Thanks again for the feedback!
Michelle

Been to Prince of Wales? Share your experiences!