“Linda wonderful Host” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Abagales Victorian Bed and Breakfast

and 1 more site!
You added Abagales Victorian Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Abagales Victorian Bed and Breakfast
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   535 Mississagua Street | Box 1498, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada   |
Lindsay, Ontario
“Linda wonderful Host”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

Stayed with my wife at Abagale's. I found Linda to be a very professional and lovely host. I read the other review with surprise as we found this b and b to offer just about everything one could ask including a nice hot tub! Abagale's is tastefully decorated and spotless.

An additional note about Linda: This is the first b and b we have stayed at, and I have to say I was a tiny bit concerned about our privacy. But I found Linda made us feel very welcome and her professionalism shines the way she is able to find the balance between being attentive and friendly and respecting her guests privacy. I also liked the way she communicated clearly with us prior to our arrival letting us know what services were available. We made use of her offer to make our dinner reservations for us at the Charles Inn.

I would recommend Abagale's to friends and would return when we visit Niagara on the Lake in the future to say hello to Linda and enjoy her lovely hot selection of breakfasts and hospitality.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Ashland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

We just returned from an extended week-end at Niagara-on-the-Lake. We called our trip "wining and dining" because we toured many of their wonderful wineries and sampled some great cuisine. On arrival we were met by the owner and given our keys and instructions. She has an abrupt manner - not very personable for a B & B owner. She told us to keep our towels because she didn't have very many. There was no shampoo in the bathroom and no hair dryer, and the bodywash was liquid hand soap. There were samples downstairs in a basket. The location was ok, but too far to walk to old town. Also, there is a cat that lives in the house. His name is Jackson, and he bites. On a positive note, the B & B was extremely clean, there was a nice hot tub on the deck, and phone service was free in North America. Breakfast was average which consisted of fruit, yogurt, granola, raspberry French toast, Canadian bacon, poached egg on English muffin, and beverages.

One afternoon we tripped a breaker in two rooms. I called the owner to report it. She said she would take care of it. When we returned at 11:00 pm, the bathrooms were still dark. So in a determined fashion, five middle-aged ladies bravely descended the steps to the basement to find the breaker box. We were surprised to discover a beautiful apartment with a man sound asleep at his computer. Later we discovered he was the owner's son. We shouted repeatedly to him, and even knocked on the walls to wake him. Finally he leaped to his feet with his hand over his heart, saying "ladies, ladies". We explained the situation, and he tripped the breaker for us. We returned to our rooms, laughing hilariously the entire way.

For the two room suite, we were charged the week-end price for all three days, even though we stayed on a Thursday night, also. Unfortunately, we didn't catch that until it was time to pay. I called the owner, and she said that was in the confirmation email, and she hung up on me.

If you can find another B & B, I would recommend that. She also owns Butler Creek, and I believe she actually lives there.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
butlerbb, owner at Abagales Victorian Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 15, 2008
Thank you for the opportunity to respond to this review. As Abagales Victorian B&B is a new member of TripAdvisor and there is only one review so far, it is important that the concerns of the guest receive comment.

Firstly I thank the guest for including favourable comments and very appealing pictures of Abagales that were posted to this site.

I truly hope the following will shed some light on the concerns and that the guest receives a copy.

Immediately the guest reported the breaker had tripped, I went to the electrical box and reset the breaker. I have no idea why the breaker did not reset and I did not want to enter the guest's room and disturb them. I have learned a lesson for next time.

The Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, which has over 300 bed and breakfasts operating, has many pages of strict By-Laws. One of which, the main By-Law, is that one of the owners lives on site and is always on premises at night when guests are in the house. My son has a lovely private residence in the downstairs and is on site to resolve problems such as the flipped breaker. The guests ventured into the owner's residence and no doubt startled him when awakening him. As mentioned, he immediately reset the breaker.

Jackson is indeed the resident cat and as Abagales has "suites" and often accommodates families, the children always manage to find Jackson in the sitting room (Jackson does not go in the guest rooms) and play with the cat continually during their stay at Abagales. Never has anyone complained about Jackson and I checked with the housekeeper who plays with Jackson regularly and sees the guests on numerous occasions, that she has never received a complaint about the cat.

Breakfast consists of many hot and cold dishes. The guest describes rasberry cream cheese filled French Toast, with eggs done to order on the side and Canadian back bacon. Juices, fresh baked croissants, coffee cake, fruit, yogurt, granola, cereals are on the dining table EVERY morning. The number one comment received from guests is normally in regard to the exceptional breakfast.

As for the owner's handling of the guests, if you check the comments on my other B&B (Butler Creek), you will notice that the number one comment over and over is in regard to the hospitality of the hostess. As Director of Sales for two major hotels in Town for twenty years, I know the importance of hopsitality to the guests and was responsibility for training new hires on hospitality and service. I wish I knew how the guest arrived at the impression that I was not hospitable to them. I also have no problem whatsoever adjusting an invoice that is incorrect, having been in business for over twenty years. I cannot recall at all being asked to check the invoice and would gladly have done this....the amount difference would have been no more than $5 per person. This would have been NO PROBLEM. I would like to discuss this further with the guest and if there is a refund owing, will not hesitate to send it to them.

In twenty years operation, I have not received this type of negative report and thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond. I would welcome the chance to discuss further with the guest and do sincerely apologize if this is their view of their stay at Abagales Bed and Breakfast.

Linda Jeffries

Been to Abagales Victorian Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!