“You really do get what you pay for” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sterling Inn & Spa

You added Sterling Inn & Spa to your Saves list
Sterling Inn & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5195 Magdalen Street, Niagara Falls, Ontario L2G 3S6, Canada   |
Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save!
Ranked #10 of 137 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Certificate of Excellence 2014
peterborough, ontario
“You really do get what you pay for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

this was our second time at Sterling and we loved it all over again. we dont normally spend this much on a couples get away. the "retreat package" included breakfast in bed both mornings, 3 course dinner for 2 one night and a 25 min massage at the on site spa (we upgrade to 55 mins). total including upgrade was $550 CA taxes in, like i said, more than we normally spend for 2 nights but it was our 15th aniversary and decided we were worth it! At first glance the neighbourhood looks a little sketchy but the run down buildings are vacant. walking distance to many attractions and 5 mins to casino by cab/car. Besides the huge warm comfortable rooms, what really sets this property apart is the service. Everyone was so happy to help, from the front desk to the spa, the young man who delivered breakfast and the servers we had at dinner, everyone was excellent at there job and more than happy to make sure we enjoyed ourselves. the spa was very clean and inviting and the attendents were second to none. The restaurant was....i dont have the adjectives to discribe it.....they treated us like gold and the food was....well..like i said...you really do get what you pay for!!! Check in/out was courteous and quick. We have been recomending this place to friends family and anyone else who would listen for 5 years now and we will continue to do so. We had a wonderfull get away and anyone who leaves a bad review is the kind of person who would find fault staying at Buckingham Palace.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We paid a 4 star hotel rate and accordingly had an expectation of a quality of services. The building was unique, to say nicely, being a conversion of a factory with a preserved chimney. The showere stall had a steam. The morning breakfast dilivered to the room was of a good quality.

There were a few thousand of people in the Niagara Falls area that day for marathone, and so were we. It was a big entire community/charity event,and in our past experiences all area hotels make all possible accommodations for this important community event. We asked about the late check out, and the answer was no more than half an hour. We asked whether we could have shower after the marathone. The front desk staff said, " No! We do not have any facilities". I suggested that the room may be cleaned after our shower at around 1:00 to 1:30 pm. Again, the anwer was a flatly no. It does not make a sense that all checked out rooms would be cleaned within 3 hours.

If we had known that this hotel could not make such a small accommodation, we would not have booked it.

In fact, later the staff at the spa, an indepent business on the premise, kindly allowed us to take shower. Flexibility is a test of a luxury, and a self-claimed luxury Stermling Inn failed the test.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Went in Feb '12 for reading week( yes I am a student). Girlfriend found a two-day package with couple massage, and upscale dinner for two, also comes with a nice simple breakfast in bed, delivered to your door in 15 minute intervals of opportunity( you select a 15 min slot). couples massage was an excellent ~30 min swedish massage. Dinner was 4-5 star quality, included with package is a three course meal; tips and drinks excluded. Meal was well worth the ~60 drink and tip charge on top. breakfast was simple, and elegant. Oh, and of course I must mention sterling inn used to be the location of a dairy factory, converted beautifully, rooms are beautifully decorated in a simple low-frill way the emphasizes the beauty of the wood floors/ building design.
Total cost(including the additional 60 dollar dinner bill?)
~$560 Canadian.

Would I go again? Absolutely, I diner just after christmas '12, experience was consistent.

VERY Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a jacuzzi, get a package deal with at the very least dinner.
Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

LOVED it! When I saw the rooms on the website, I thought it was way too good to be true. We got there and it was just as beautiful as described. We stayed for two nights. The front desk staff was very friendly. The breakfast delivered to the room was very good and fresh. I suppose if you stayed there for many nights the same breakfast every day would get boring but we loved it. The jacuzzi tub was in fact big enough to sit comfortably and it was very deep. The bed and pillows were nice and the fireplace warmed up the room but didn't get TOO hot. The location is a little sketchy if you turn right, but if you go left, you can walk to restaurants and Clifton Hill. Free parking was a huge bonus too.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed 2 nights on New Years's Eve. From the moment we drove up the tiny dirty street it's located and walked in to this small facade of an upscale hotel and were greeted by the lackluster front desk people I immediately got sense of what quality our stay was going to be here. The rooms are a poor imitation at being modern trendy, the bed had cheap tasteless covers, a furnace room behind a locked door with vents pumping air out right beside the bed which made a lot of noise, a cheasy little fake electric fireplace and huge curtains covering an ugly view of the parking lot. When I went to hang my coat one of the hangers actually fell apart.

In the morning we were greeted at the door with a breakfast tray containing the "Chef's choice of egg" (which for 2 days and probably everyday, a cold quiche in an aluminum tray) served with mini sized yogurt, a tasteless dry cereal with no milk, a small croissant with a slice of ham and cheese, imitation orange juice and instant coffee.

The restaurant in the basement wasn't anything special and the food wasn't that great either. The wait staff were very attentive and tried to uphold the "upscale facade" image of the hotel.

We booked a couple's massage the following day at the Spa which is adjacent to the restaurant. We were told they are managed separately from the hotel and is probably the nicest place in the entire building. The massage was ok, but again overpriced compared to what we can get back home in Toronto.

All in all, I would not recommend this hotel for a couple looking for a romantic getaway with style and elegance. This is a cheap motel in disguise and more suited for a one night stay for someone looking for a budget alternative to the larger hotels in the area.

The entire city is one big tourist trap and everything is overpriced. There's not a whole lot to do other than see the Falls, gamble and grab a bite. Don't even waste your time going to "Niagara on the Lake" for shopping. There's nothing there of real interest. You'd be better off making a day trip out to Niagara and heading back home in the evening.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Catharines, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Sterling Inn, for 2 nights, back in December. We both found the front desk staff to be straight forward and knowledgable but cold and unpleasant. The room was very large and nicely decorated. The bathroom was huge and the shower was fantastic. Since the shower is completely enclosed (steam shower) I don't think people realize that the door should be propped open so that the steam can escape and not become stale, once you are finished. Therefore, the corners and around the edging of the shower is mouldy and needs to be taken care of instead of just the usual clean at the end of a stay.
The breakfast was great. It had plenty of food. It wasn't, by any means, the best food that I have had, but if I was looking for top notch breakfast food, I would have gone to a restaurant and had someone serve me something freshly cooked.
We had dinner at AG and it was amazing!!!!! We will be back to enjoy this gem of a restaurant again and again.
I had a body wrap at the spa and it too, was amazing. Friendly staff and very relaxing atmosphere.
With all that being said, the one reason why I won't go back was because of the bed! It wasn't just firm it was HARD!!! I have never sat/laid on a bed that didn't move when it was touched. I think if I tried to flop onto it I would have broken a bone. I know this sounds extreme, but, the one thing that everyone does when they go to a hotel is sleep. If I couldn't manage that, then there would be no reason for me to go back, regardless of how nice the rest of my stay was. I woke both mornings with a stiff back that lasted well into the next few days after returning home.
For this reason, I will tell others to not go to Sterling Inn even if they find a good deal for a night. Not worth the sleepless night, in my opinion.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is the third year we've come to Niagara and stayed at the Sterling Inn & Spa. We choose the Inn as an alternative to the big hotel experience and of course for the AG Restaurant. The reservation and front desk experience,unfortunately is always the same..unprofessional & not helpful. We always like to book the same room as some of the rooms are awkwardly
configured and it is so difficult to do this every time. The front desk personnel tend to be inexperienced and indifferent.. every time. The decor is getting dated and a bit shabby but still you can get amazing deals for the week end package. Breakfast delivered to your room is a real treat and dinner at AG is always amazing!

Room Tip: We like ground floor corner rooms, jacuzzi and shower,big open space, overlooks the parking lot but...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sterling Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!