“Hotel-great spa=HORRIBLE!!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sterling Inn & Spa

You added Sterling Inn & Spa to your Saves list
Sterling Inn & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5195 Magdalen Street, Niagara Falls, Ontario L2G 3S6, Canada   |
Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save!
Ranked #10 of 137 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Hotel-great spa=HORRIBLE!!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

I have heard many good reviews about this place, but also some bad, I am a pretty open minded person so I decided not to listen to all the negative things. However, all the negative things that were told to me (mainly about the spa) were true. The hotel was very nice, rooms were very modern and huge!!! The food at the restaurant was excellent and would recommend it to anyone!! The service was great and so was the food.

However, the service in the spa was not.  I had an appointment later that day at the spa for a facial and it was the worst facial I had ever received!!! But wait, it gets better! The spa looked very nice, however, don't be fooled. They served DISGUSTING DIRTY WATER in a water pitcher that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years!!!! They had fruit in the water that also looked dirty. I did not even TOUCH that water. The change rooms were gross, the robes were torn and old!    The lady doing my facial was the general manager of the spa, her name was Tammy (she was rude and her service was very rushed so for anyone having a treatment from her, just leave!!) She smelled like smoke and it was absolutely disgusting being a NON SMOKER and having someones disgusting smoke hands all over my face!!! That's all I could smell during the facial, and it was NOT PLEASANT AT ALL!  She seemed very rude and when I was checking out I had asked for her card, and one of the ladies at the front desk kindly  gave it to me. I am a registered massage therapist and also work at a spa and that was not a way to treat someone!! She looked miserable and it seemed like she was even rude to her staff in front  of clients! She was so unprofessional. I could even hear her complaining about not getting a tip from someone (I CAN SEE WHY!) The rest of the staff however, seemed fairly kind.  The spa is NOT a place I would EVER recommend going!! As a general manager, you would think the service would be EXTRA GOOD, and you would make sure you don't smoke before a service, but I think my 5 year old daughter would have done a better job!!
I would give the hotel a 4 but the spa a 0!
Spa=CRAP!

• Stayed April 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Guelph, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

My husband and I have just returned home from what was to be a relaxing weekend at The Sterling Inn and Spa. I am not usually one to complain, but this weekend was anything but relaxing for us.

It was our anniversary and we wanted to do something special, as we have two children and no time for each other. We really needed this time to get away and it seemed to be just what we were looking for.

We reserved the Retreat package, requesting a room with a whirlpool tub. We were assured at our time of booking that a whirlpool room was reserved for us. Upon our check in, we were assigned a steam shower room. When we questioned the clerk at the desk, we were told that our request for a whirlpool tub was noted in the reservations. Unfortunately, there were not any whirlpool rooms left. This was the beginning of our romantic getaway. UNBELIEVABLE!!

The clerk said he could upgrade our room for free for the night, but we may have to change rooms in the morning. In order for us to get the room we originally reserved this was our only option. UNBELIEVABLE!!

The upgraded room was nice, (Room 109) however with the possibility of having to move to another in the morning, the relaxation mode did not come into play. We waited until 11:00 am the next morning and did not receive any notification that we would have to change rooms, so we went on with our day.

When we returned to our room a few hours later, the key card would not work. We went to the front desk and we were given a new key. At this point, our frustration mounted. Being locked out of our room was one thing, but because of the delay, we were almost late for our massage appointment in the spa. We thought we were having a one hour couples massage, but found out it was for only a half an hour. Another disappointment!

The spa itself was lovely, with the exception of the well worn robes we were given to wear. The massage felt rushed and the girls performing the treatments were pre-occupied, talking to each other throughout the half hour. I am a professional in the spa industry, and I must tell you that this treatment was way below expectation, and very unprofessional! UNBELIEVABLE!!

Trying to make the best of the rest of the weekend, we went to your restaurant for dinner. The service was good and the food was delicious.

However, when we returned to our room, we had trouble opening the door again. The lock was not working correctly. In fact, our room was unlocked for anyone to come in. My husband went to the front desk to ask for assistance. The man seemed unconcerned and told my husband that he had to “take a call” and “would be there in a bit to have a look.” Very unprofessional! After an hour of waiting in our room , my husband went back to the front desk, again asking for assistance. The clerk at the desk said that he had “forgotten”. UNBELIEVABLE!!

The clerk came to our room with my husband and said there was no one available to fix the lock, however, if we wanted to go out, he would have someone watch our room for us. UNBELIEVABLE!!

We, of course, opted to stay in for the night, even though we had plans for the evening.

Over all, our stay at this establishment was not one of pleasure or relaxation. We were terribly disappointed and a little angry, to say the least, having spent a considerable amount of money for what turned out to be a very stressful weekend.

I also have to advise you that the bed was extremely uncomfortable, the bed comforter was soiled, the shower was dirty and the internet connection did not work, not to mention that we felt unsafe in our room and missed out on experiencing the night life in Niagara Falls.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Allentown, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

We booked our trip in January on a whim to see the Falls and as usual I check reviews on tripadvisor before booking. I was not disappointed and totally agree with most of the reviews. The price was quite a deal for a spacious room with plenty of ammenities. The bathroom was luxurious and I made sure to use the fabulous shower and the soaking tub. Just loved the sliding screens between the BR and Bath! It was cold during our visit so the fire place gave the room a cozy feel. We ate at AG and that was quite an experience. The food was very good and I loved my ice wine martini. The service in the restaurant and the complimentary breakfast was excellent. We thoroughly enjoyed and hope to return during their warmer season. The streets and attractions were sparsely attended with limited hours and we definitely want to try the Maid of the Mist.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

When we first arrived we were shocked at how the exterior looked prison like. dull grey painted building. Once inside the lobby was nice, besides the dirty glass doors and salt stained mats. Our room was huge, and had a great big jacuzzi which was nice minus the hairs that weren't ours. The bed was so hard and we had the worst sleep, not to mention the duvet on the bed was super dirty, i think it was supposed to be beige at one point however had a greyish tinge to it.GROSS. but im a good spirited person who tries to make the best out of everything. but when morning came and we got our free breakfast in bed.....knock knock on the door and when we opened it there was our server holding our breakfast drenched in sweat, i mean he looked like he just got out of the shower...ewwww that was the last straw for me.Needless to say we didnt touch the food. No wonder the previous person who wrote a review got food poisoning!! This place claims to be the best in niagara.HA!! We would've been better off at the super 8!!

Room Tip: Don't eat the breakfast!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Cayuga, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

Room 105 - corner room

We had reserved a room here and then cancelled the reservations because of all the negative reviews here on TripAdvisor. When the owner of the wine tour that we had scheduled found out, he suggested we reconsider. We did and really aren't disappointed that we did.

We loved the history of the hotel and the floor plan of our room. The ambiance of the hotel is definitely unique and enjoyable. I will agree with the others that our bed did seem quite hard but it did not keep me from having a decent nights sleep. We did not use the restaurant or spa. We truly enjoyed the breakfast in bed!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

I booked a package deal as a gift for my bf including 2 nights and 1 dinner at AG. The standard room was beautiful and the jacuzzi was great, but the bed ruined the whole experience. They were extremely hard, I think it was a futon. Neither of us could sleep at all the first night we were there. The continental breakfast brought to the room in the morning was great, and the AG restaurant had very nice ambiance but the food was just average. I would definitely return if it wasn't for the beds.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
High Wycombe, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

Stayed here in Feb with my wife whilst on a business trip. We got a great rate of $120 for the BIG, and I mean BIG and luxurious deluxe spa room with breakfast thrown in. We enjoyed our brief stay but small details sort of let down the overall package and leave you without that feelgood factor that a hotel such as this should generate. For example the bed was huge but unnecessarily hard. So stay and enjoy as we did but be prepared for unexpected small let downs when you least expect it that detract from the overall experience.

Room Tip: Watch for short notice specials on deluxe rooms
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Sterling Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!