“Rooms are dated, but friendly to the wallet!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Maplehaven Motel

Maplehaven Motel
You added Maplehaven Motel to your Saves list
Maplehaven Motel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7770 Lundy's Lane, Niagara Falls, Ontario L2H 1H1, Canada   |
Ranked #112 of 137 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Sturgeon Falls, Ontario, Canada
“Rooms are dated, but friendly to the wallet!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We booked are rooms a couple weeks in advance and after reading the other reviews we were very concerned that our rooms may be given away upon arrival! But when we did arrive our rooms were waiting for us we were greeted by a friendly manager Navin. Can't complain about the cost $144.00 inc taxes for 3 nights. The rooms are dated, but clean and bug free. Navin informed us that he is in the process of renovating all the rooms. He showed us one that was nearly completed, WHOW! what a difference! Flat screens, built in ceiling speakers, USB and IPod connections, brand new bathroom, flooring and granite at the entrance. You have to see it to believe the upgrades. I will be booking my stay for next summer in one of these new rooms! My only real complaint was that the pool was neglected and I had to clean all the leaves and crap out of it before we could use it. but overall the staff were very friendly & helpful when called upon

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms when completed! totally awesome!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed at Maplehaven for 10 days (August 3 – 12, 2013) while visiting Canada. I'd initially reserved the room for 5 nights, however, I extended my stay for 4 additional nights because I genuinely liked the motel, especially the family that runs the motel and their staff – they were all genuinely friendly and personable, unlike most hotel/motel staff you usually encounter when traveling.

As for the motel itself, it's small (about 25 units), well-maintained, well-lit, safe, clean, and extremely quiet. It's a one-story, so that means (1) you won't have to drag your luggage up any stairs, (2) you won't have to worry about your upstairs neighbors stomping around at midnight like a herd of wild elephants, and (3) you can park directly in front of your motel room.

Outside each room is a decorative wrought-iron chair and large potted plant. I personally think it gives each room entrance an attractive, warm, and welcoming appearance. My room was clean and cozy; the floor was hardwood, therefore, the room didn't have that musty/funky odor that usually accompanies motel carpets. The bed was comfortable, the water was hot, the water pressure was great, there was ample cable/satellite TV, and there was free WiFi. I never used the WiFi, so I can't comment on it. Also, the motel is only two and a half miles away from the Falls.

Overall, the motel is safe, clean, friendly, reasonably priced, extremely quiet and as previously mentioned, the entire staff is super friendly and courteous. I'll definitely be returning next summer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Richmond Hill, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Booked this hotel at a discounted price through the web. Booking was cancelled because management offered our room to walk in guests at a higher price. Offered no accountable and no help at all. The line that was provided to us at multiple time was "there is nothing I can do. manager does not come back till Monday. I can't get a hold of him because he is out of town. I am trying to help here but I can give you my only vacant room which is smaller in size matching the price you paid online...". A scam. Stay away unless you want to try your luck.
If I can rate them at 0 star, I would.

Room Tip: Stay away from this Inn is my best tip and advise I can provide to whoever that come across this sit...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

For the weekend of August 10/11, we decided to have a get-away vacation in Niagara Falls with two other families. We made this decision pretty late, so we only booked the hotel rooms 3 weeks in advance and we didn't have that many choices. I made my reservation using booking.com, for 3 rooms with 2 double beds in Maplehaven Hotel for August10-11 on July 24th.

I’ve always been very careful with reservation, so my common practice is to phone up the hotel directly a few days before the check-in day to make sure the reservation did go through. I did the same thing with Maplehaven hotel, using the hotel phone number provided on the confirmation email. I phoned them once on August 8th. A lady picked up my call and told me that their computer was down and she couldn’t make any response at the moment. August 9th my husband called the hotel again, and was also told that the computer was not repaired yet.

On August 10th, the day I would check in, I called the hotel again on my way to Niagara Falls at 9am in the morning. This time, the same lady picked up the phone. She confirmed with me that she saw my booking. I told her we would first go to the zoo, and would check in before dinner time (around 5pm). I emphasized that please make sure they would have 3 rooms with 2-double beds ready before dinner for us to check in. She said there should not be any problem. She even told me if we show up after 7pm, we would need to phone her first as no one would be at the reception. I replied her that I would make sure we would check in before 7pm, but again, please make sure they do have the rooms for us.

We got to the hotel at 4:20pm at the afternoon. I went to the reception with the confirmation email printed. There was a man in the reception office. I showed him my confirmation of reservation. He told me according to the booking system, our reservation had been cancelled. I was completely shocked! I told him no way my reservation was cancelled,as I phoned the hotel to confirm our arrival in the morning and my booking got cancelled 7 hours after?? He showed me the cancellation information using his cellphone. He said that the cancellation was made by booking.com, implying the mistake was from booking.com. He even said that he didn’t like booking.com, and he would not trust booking.com. Well, I didn't agree with him, I've used booking.com for more than 10 times for hotel booking within Canada and oversea and never got any problem.

I was very mad at the situation. I went outside to talk to other two families and my husband. Then I went to reception again and ask if they had any rooms vacant. The reception guy told me there were only two rooms left, each had one bed only. Then my husband came to the reception office as well. He showed me an email from booking.com on my cellphone sent to me at 3:10pm, which I had not got time to check yet. The email clearly said that the hotel manager told booking.com that I phoned the hotel to cancel the booking. Clearly this was not true at all! I phoned for confirmation of arrival and rooms, and not for cancellation. The lady in the hotel picked up the phone in the morning totally understood it. I suspected the hotel was playing some game, so we requested to talk to the hotel manager directly. The reception guy rejected, and said his manager was out of town and there was no phone number left behind to reach him. I also tried to call booking.com, but the line was busy. I had been waiting for 5 minutes to reach the next available person before I hung up.

We were all exhausted, and wanted to find a solution, especially because we were families travelling with little kids. We asked the reception guy if the hotel could offer any help. He said we could look for a different hotel. It would be a joke, 3 rooms available on the spot? It would be either hard to find, or cost a few hundred $$$ each. The reception guy also suggested us to take their deal, which was to take the 2 remaining rooms with 1 bed. He called it ‘a deal’ because he said he would charge us at the same price as how much we booked our rooms with 2 double beds at. He must be out of his mind. First of all, each family would need a room with 2 beds, and 1 bed wouldn’t fit. Second, we had 3 families, so would need 3 rooms. Third, how did they dare to charge a room with 1 bed at the same price as a room with 2 beds? We all got speechless angry with the hotel, and left.

At the end, we had no place to stay. The solution was to change our itinerary, cancel our travel plan for the second day, and make a night trip back to our homes in Toronto. To make it worse, there was a car accident on highway 420 after dinner, and cars leaving from Niagara Falls were all jammed on 420. By the time we got home, it was almost 1am. Everyone was extremely tired and exhausted.

I didn’t blame at booking.com. Booking.com tried to reach me by phone before they changed my booking status to 'cancel' at the afternoon on August 10th (the checkin day) after receiving the hotel manager's call, but it was unfortunate that I didn't pick up my phone in time.

My complaint is solely to the hotel, with a few questions:

1. How dared the hotel manager claim that we contacted them to cancel the hotel, which was not true at all?
2. It was very suspicious that the hotel manager didn’t have an emergency contact number, it made us feel that the hotel just didn't want to deal with us
3. the cancellation email from booking.com was sent to my inbox at 3:10pm, and we got to the hotels at 4:20pm. Within 70 minutes, the three rooms got taken by visitors on the street. Is this possible?
4. My biggest question mark is regarding to the whole story about the computer problem. Based on the reception guy’s reaction on August 10th, the hotel guy was able to check the booking status and reservation using a cellphone. Therefore, even the computer was down, they could have been able to check our booking using a cellphone. On August 8th during my first call to the hotel, the lady told me she would call me back once they found my reservation on the system, but I didn’t receive any call from her. After all, it seemed like the computer was only an excuse for the hotel. I just felt like the hotel had known something wrong with my booking, and they tried not to deal with me until I showed up. Maybe they got customers who offered to pay at a higher price and wanted to discard my reservation even before Thursday August 8? That also explained why the hotel manager phoned up booking.com to initiate the cancellation and asked to wave my fees to cover my mouth (as oppose to charge the cost of entire stay for late cancellation)?

It was absolutely ridiculous that the hotel manger lied to booking.com in order to cancel my booking.It was unbelievable that it did happen in a developed country Canada. Yes, they didn't charge me, but no hotel to stay just ruined our entire trip plan. If we weren't from a city close by, if we were from other province or country, how could we have been able to find accommodation? It would have been a total disaster and nightmare.

So here is my suggestion: don't book this hotel, unless you are totally prepared for lost of reservation and sleep on street!!!!! Just stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We booked in this hotel at the beginning of August. We usually stay in larger properties however, decided to try a smaller place out. Gave it a shot and SCORE! We saved a ton of money and the place was great! Clean was the most important followed by the ammenities we needed. Pool, WiFi, access to bus and restaurants all around us. The gentleman at the front desk (I think he owns the place) is a superstar tour guide and it helps that he is not at all hard to look at. This place is a gem and I will stay here next time I am in Niagara Falls.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Perfect for family going to do touristy stuff. Greeted right away by friendly owner. Very helpful, from bus routes, where to eat, and attractions to see. Have 2 kids and pool was away from road at end of property so no worries about kids running onto road and your not getting stared at by every car driving by. About 5min drive to falls. But you aren't getting woken up by drunks and partiers. Owners live onsite so all needs were met right away. Older tv's and room decor but who cares we weren't there to sit in the room. Anytime I go to Niagara Falls I will stay here. No bugs, friendly people. Perfect location.

• Stayed July 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Nothing wrong with the place, except a few bugs. The staff members were very helpful and the location was only a few miles down from Clifton Hill. Cost was economic.

I probably will look elsewhere next time because it seems like paying a bit more and staying at the downtown area will be worth it - In the end, it also saves you from paying for separate parking when you arrive at Clifton Hill.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Maplehaven Motel? Share your experiences!