“Not what I had hoped for” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Redwood Bed & Breakfast

You added Redwood Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Redwood Bed & Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   5227 River Road, Niagara Falls, Ontario L2E 3G9, Canada   |
Ranked #6 of 66 Niagara Falls B&B and Inns
Bowie, MD
“Not what I had hoped for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I struggled about what to write because the owner, Sarah is an absolute sweetheart. But I must be honest about my experience. I just returned from 3 nights at Redwood yesterday. My husband and I went to celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary. The neighborhood is clean but looks unkempt because of foliage overgrowth. Nothing is manicured in the area. The house itself is a beautiful quaint antique property with plenty of parking. We were greeted at the door by a warm and smiling Sarah and two of her children. Unfortunately, one of the children had a habit of picking his nose and did so while he and his brother were coached by Sarah to give us a tour of the house. It wasn't fun to watch and we cringed through the experience. Sarah quickly told us that she had sold the property and the new owner is taking possession in October. She mentioned she would be making Eggs Benedict in the morning and we were delighted since we LOVE a great breakfast and it is usually one of our highlights during B&B stays. The room was small for us but it was white glove test clean, no sign of dust anywhere. The bathroom was equally spotless, the tub so clean that it looked brand new. I got a shock when Sarah's cat came running toward me and I began screaming bloody murder. I was attacked and clawed by a cat as a child and it is still a deep fear to this day. Sarah had mentioned prior to my arrival that she would remove the cat from the premises during our stay, but somehow her noted dates got mixed up. This experience gave my nerves a terrible shock. But to Sarah's credit, she immediately relocated the cat while my husband took me for a walk to Clifton Hills to calm my shattered nerves. The walk to the Falls and Clifton Hills is very pleasant. The street that Redwood is on is very busy, so be careful crossing it but the walk is about 10 minutes. It is slightly hilly, so you may want to be mindful of that if you are not in good shape or have a health issue. The falls are gorgeous and Clifton Hills is a small town Vegas, kitschy atmosphere that is perfect for children. If you are in your 40's traveling without kids (like us), you may want to stay in Niagara-On-The Lake, which is stunning, peaceful, quaint and full of boutique shops, Georgian houses, and, breathtaking lake views and profuse flora and vineyards. It is a 30 minute drive from the Falls. Clifton Hills is more family oriented and a mecca for children because it has so many fun (overpriced) things for them to do. The next morning we were rudely awakened by an alarm in a vacant room at 6:30am. I finally went in the space and unplugged the clock. I learned later that all the other guests had been awakened by it but couldn't find where the noise was coming from. Breakfast is served promptly at 8 (strict policy) so we dressed and went down for breakfast. Two other couples were there. We were served a small waffle, scrambled eggs, and sliced cherry tomatoes. We asked about the Eggs Benedict and one of the guests informed us that Sarah's children didn't want that and the kids decided on waffles and scrambled eggs. So we were all disappointed around the table. Now I am a small person (5'4, 127 pounds); my appetite is small. But the little serving was inadequate. I looked at my 5'11, 200 pound husband and felt bad for him. Sarah had meanwhile taken her sons to their rugby match. When we tasted the food, it too was inadequate. The other two couples made comments and felt as we did about the fare. The scrambled eggs were small, hard overcooked pebbles, and the cherry tomatoes (though from her garden) were in sad shape. My husband and I wound up going to the Victoria Motor Inn where we were served a wonderful breakfast of french toast, eggs, bacon, and fried potatoes. DELICIOUS. The owner's mom made all the food herself. I have never been anywhere and had to eat breakfast twice. The next day, our anniversary, we went to Sunday brunch at the Sheraton Hotel's Falls View restaurant with our adult daughter who stayed at another location. Sarah pressed for us to all have breakfast at Redwood, but we just couldn't bring ourselves to do it on such a special occasion even when she offered free breakfast to our daughter. Falls View restaurant was the perfect choice. For $19 it was excellent and you watch the falls from your table. Lovely. Sarah made no mention of or offered anything special for our anniversary. Not even a flower on the bed or a bottle of wine. Nothing. She provides no toiletries, no soaps or anything (one man complained to us and had to use his wife's scented body wash). Our washcloths were not refreshed (thank God I brought my own things) in the 3 days, our trash was not emptied (my husband did it himself after the first day) and we had to ration our toilet tissue because no additional tissue was ever provided. The rooms don't have TV's so it was an adjustment for us. It is a shame how dependent we have become on television, but having been without, I wouldn't do it again. My hubby is such a movie and sports buff. Our last morning, Sarah served a burnt omelette, those darned sliced cherry tomatoes and fruit. One couple had their son with them and Sarah had made him a Belgian waffle. When another lady asked for one, so did I. So I ate the fruit and the waffle. We left the other items untouched and my husband stopped at Burger King for a breakfast sandwich once we got on the road. We loved talking with the couples we met and had a wonderful time at attractions and especially our winery visit, golf course visit, and strolling through the charming town of Niagara on the Lake. But I would not go back to Redwood. Perhaps the new owner (Sarah thinks the new lady will reopen the B&B in December) will provide those small touches and creative breakfasts that we missed on this trip. I also recommend restoring the wood stairs and painting the dark wainscotting white to brighten the entryway. I think it is smart that Sarah is getting out of the B&B business and I recognize that she has only been at it for less than a year. I wish her and her family great success.

Room Tip: The vineyard room is extremely small. I think the other rooms are much bigger. There is $5 all d...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

Hi Sarah, we missed your gentle hospitality ways during our stay at Niagara Falls. We are very pleased with our stay. Gerry and Ann send their regards to you and your kids. they are adorable and well-behaved. Daisy is a charmer. no TV was a plus to our vacation. A clock would be good to wake up on time for breakfast. excellent nutritious breakfasts. We are on our last lag of our vacation to Block Island tomorrow. Good luck on your next project!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Minster, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

We were so glad that we chose Redwood as our B and B in the Niagara Falls area. The new owner (Sarah) was so kind and bubbly and went out of her way to make our stay enjoyable. In addition, she is a great cook. Our room was ready when we arrived and was immaculate! The bed and pillows were great and I slept very well. Breakfast the 1st morning was a great mix with waffles, muffins, fresh fruit, toast, ham, and juice choices. All were great. The 2nd morning, we had eggs, muffins, sausage and fruit.
We had told Sarah that it was our anniversary weekend and she sweetly made our muffins in heart shaped pans.
Sarah was a wonderful hostess, the house was gorgeous and clean. It is located within easy walking distance to the falls tourist area. The walk is up and down some hills so it is not for everyone. The view from the front porch was of the gorge and was beautiful. There was nice parking behind the house where we were able to park our motorcycle and both other couples had room for their cars.
Sarah is also in the process of adding a fitness room. She has a treadmill and some yoga and meditation mats and supplies. She has tried to think of everything.
One note, there are no televisions or clocks in the rooms. We did not miss the TV as we did not spend much time in our room, however, a clock would be great and I made that suggestion to Sarah.
I would highly recommend Redwood Bed and Breakfast to anyone who will be staying in the NIagara Falls area.

Room Tip: The Vineyard is the mid priced room at this home and it was just perfect!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Riga, Latvia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

It was really great stay in Niagara Falls. We were there only for one day. The Host was very helpful and told the best sightseeing for that a shot time and we managed to see all, what we wanted.
The place was very nice and we had very good breakfast.
Thanks!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Our stay at the Redwood was a great experience and one we hope to experience again. Upon our arrival, Sara had just taken over ownership, but our stay was still fantastic!!! The breakfast was spectacular as was accommodations. We stayed two nights in The Vineyard and one night in The Dulce Vita. Both rooms were fantastic, but The Dulce Vita takes the cake! What a great room! It's only a 10 minute walk to the falls and the views are breathtaking! As others have said, this will spoil us to all other B&B and the Redwood will be the measuring stick for all others to come. Keep up the great work Sara!

Room Tip: The Dulce Vita has a great balcony that overlooks the gorge.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Westwood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011 via mobile

This is my first time in Niagara Falls, and the Redwood provided a fantastic home base. Walking distance from the falls and Niagara attractions, it makes getting around the crowded parts easy. Being on River Rd it's also very easy access to Niagara on the Lake. Hosts are very informative and welcoming. They clearly take pride in their property, and it makes for a very comfortable place! Highly recommend to anyone looking for a weekend getaway!

• Stayed August 2011
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Stayed in La Dolce Vita suite- excellent. Owners warm and friendly. Walking distance to major Falls attractions.

Room Tip: Dolce Vita suite is best- 2 other rooms are very nice but smaller
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Redwood Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!