“Must have poutine when in Canada!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Chapel Hill
“Must have poutine when in Canada!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I hadn't been in Canada in some time and couldn't wait to head to the local poutine place. It is showing up on american menus, but is not the same because the cheese curds are so much better in Canada because they are fresh and unpasteurized - famous sqeaky cheese. Smokes was very good just because I really wanted it - but I've had better. I think the big problem with Smokes is that they serve the poutine in these chinese style take out boxes. Good classic poutine is more spread out on a plate. Serving it the way Smokes does - all the gravy, cheese, meat is on the very top and never reaches the bottom 2/3's of the fries. If it is spread out the way it should be, you get gravy, cheese in every bite. But it is definitely better than nothing. Always opt for the smallest size - you never think it is going to be enough, but it is rich and is always enough - or share with someone. The cheeseburger one looked the best - I stuck with traditional smoked meat - which was just okay. The place is very small - not very good atmosphere - and it was really hot when we were there, so it was not very comfortable inside.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Brockton, Massachusetts
“Yummy, eh?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We were looking forward to trying the poutine as it had been years since we last had it. Smoke's offered many options (including vegetarian) so there's something for everyone. My husband had his with bacon, I had classic veggie. Although he ate most of his, he said it was a bit on the dry side. I offered him some of mine... he wished he'd gotten the veggie. Said it was much better. I loved it as well. Yum Yum!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania, United States
“A Canadian Classic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

If you never had poutine try it here first, this is a classic Canadian dish that will leave you satisfied. I had the pork and bacon poutine and it was awesome. My girlfriend had the perogies pountine and her son had the cheeseburger poutine, both were very good. The service in this place was great, the guy at the counter was friendly and new all about poutine. If you go to Niagara Falls or anywhere in Canada, try this dish, you will be surprised how good it is. I had it another night at a bar across from our hotel, and it was good but, not great like this place. The one major problem is that they are not located where I live in the states! Overall, I loved this place and will go back anytime I am in Niagara Falls or Canada.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Poo-tine”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My boyfriend and I are avid poutine lovers and on a whim we went to this place seeing the amazing reviews... and were insanely disappointed. The gravy was thin and bland, people say its the curds and fries that make the poutine, but you can get any fries and curds and made a decent poutine if the gravy is right. It was almost as if it came out of a can. The gentleman taking the orders had no customer service skills and I highly doubt the teenager in the back knew how to cook. Very disappointing

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Madison, New Jersey
“Poutine-A-Palooza!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Coming from New Jersey, the diner capital of the world, I've been familiar with french fries and gravy my whole life. It has always been a staple at our all night diners. Poutine takes that concept to another level, and Smoke's takes it even beyond that! They have lots of combos to choose from. We tried the Traditional: fries, gravy and cheese curds and the Montreal: fries, gravy, cheese curds, smoked beef (think corned beef), pickles and a squirt of yellow mustard. Both were outstanding. The fries are fresh, the gravy is seasoned beautifully, the curds soft and creamy/gooey and the portions are BIG! The staff was very friendly and there was a great vibe. Seating is limited but it wasn't a problem while we were there, mid afternoon.
Definitely a must try!