“Would not recommend” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Inn

Save Saved
You added Sunset Inn to your Saves list
Sunset Inn
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   5803 Stanley Avenue, Niagara Falls, Ontario L2G3X8, Canada   |
Ranked #50 of 139 hotels in Niagara Falls
Albany, NY
“Would not recommend”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

I wish I had read the reviews before choosing to stay here. We arrived late on a Friday night and were lucky to even get a room. We were given the last room available which had a heart shaped jacuzzi on the first floor by the pool. The room was definitely outdated and needs some renovations, but that doesn't bother me. Our room was dirty and I wouldn't even consider using the jacuzzi unless I had a bucket of bleach to clean it with. We had some trouble getting the television to work because of a faulty outlet. When I finally was able to get the television to work a spark shot out of the outlet. The remote control didn't work and some of the buttons to control the television didn't work either (the channel up button and sometimes the power button). The water pressure was too powerful. I imagine that is what it feels like to get shot with a fire hose.
The location was decent. Walking distance to both the Fallsview Casino area or Clifton Hill.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Overall condition of the room

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Scarborough
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

This was the first time I've been to a Inn that had horrible service. There were flying ants all around the room and the cleaning staff came in to clean it. By the next morning the flying ants were back and flying across the room. My boyfriend and I noticed this when we came back from site seeing the night before at around 9pm and the manager said there is nothing they can do. We just wanted to go home and the manager Talha said that They can only clean the room again. So basically we were stuck with a dirty room. They cleaned but in the morning there were more ants. I told the manager Talha that I didn't want to wake up and there be ants flying around the room and that's what exactly happened. I was very disappointed with the level of service he gave us. The room was Smokey and I said ok I'll let that go but when I saw the ants I was very grossed out. I wanted to leave but Talha basically said that we couldn't because he can't give us a refund and he wouldn't be able to give that room to anyone else. I doubt that anyone else would have wanted that room anyway. I paid through debit and I know that you CAN refund through debit so I don't know why he said he couldn't. He was more concerned with the money lost on the room then our comfort. I was very displease with the level of service The sunset inn gave us. I will never go back to this inn or any other inn in the area.

• 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Connecticut, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

We had a great time staying at this little inn. We also booked through hotwire. I can only speak of our room, but room #12 had a queen sized bed, mini-fridge and an ample amount of space to move around the room. Carpet and bedding seemed new. It was quite clean, the water pressure was awesome as was the temperature. I like very hot showers and they delivered. The shower had a very nice tile.

The pool was open and very clean although I did not go in it, had no time. The pool is small but I saw almost no one using it, everyone is downtown anyway. We had 3 towels in the room when we arrived and on the 3rd day asked for 2 more with no issues. I had brought our own, after reading the reviews and there was no need. I also brought our own pillows after the reviews but the pillows in our room were better than the ones I brought from home (and forgot there by the way).

It is a small inn that is owned by a lovely family. They all were very helpful but a special thanks to Talha and his father for their hospitality. His father actually hugged us goodbye! They gave us a garbage bag for dirty clothes because I had forgotten one and free sodas from the front desk. I never went down to the 'breakfast', but my boyfriend went down every morning and got a cup of coffee. They were also very honest about where to eat and where not to bother and for the most part, they were right.

We loved the location of the inn too. If you don't mind walking, it is great. If you don't like to walk, you can always drive down town and pay to park. It is such a nice walk though, why bother with the added expense. Plus walking is how you find the good stuff, like the little Mexican place on the left, Taco's & Tequila's I think. And the walking allowed me to eat what I want, because to see it all we easily walked 4-5 miles a day. Cute little place. We also loved walking back to the inn at night, you could feel the noise and commotion of downtown melting away the closer you got to the peaceful little inn.

Overall, this is not the Ritz Carlton; it is a 2 star inn off the strip but close to it. If you have expectations that are too high, you will of course be disappointed. If all you require is an inexpensive place to sleep, shower, etc. then this is a perfectly comfortable place.

• Liked — The location (we loved the walk) and the owners, they were awesome.
  • Disliked — Nothing, we were quite satisfied.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
meadville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

This place was so outdated, I would never rec. staying here. This was our first stay and if we could have cancelled when we got there we would have. The pool was nice but badly needed cleaned. the room were cleaned when we were there but had to ask for towels. It was a 10 min walk to the falls which was great but spend the extra 50 and stay somewhere were you can not be scared to put the blankets from the beds near your face.... DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the entire place
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Durham Region
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

I wished that I had known of this website PRIOR to booking online the night before. When we got there and checked in, even though I was told this was the best room in the house, my girlfriend immediately noticed the "smoky" smell, even though they were claims of a non smoking room, everything looked old and worn the place was dirty not only with cobwebs but dead insects on the window sill. However since it was a last minute booking it wasn't too bad. We dropped off our stuff and headed for the falls, we came back 5 hours later around 9:00 and we found quite a bit more "live insects" plus what looked like a beetle crawling on our floor, my girlfriend was NOT IMPRESSED. I went to the front desk and asked him to refund our money, we were leaving, I told him that for $200.00 a night, I really did not feel that we should have to put up with bugs crawling around in our room, he insisted that he(TALHA?? I was told that was his name) COULD NOT REFUND our money as the system was not capable YET if we had said something as soon as we got in then maybe he could have done something(can you or can't you refund the money, it doesn't matter when) we also had the lack of towel problem. He sent in the cleaning crew to clean the place down, which they did, however when we woke up the next morning(I stayed up until about 3 to make sure nothing crawled around on my girlfriend) and found the insects in our ice bucket that we left out on the fridge, I left my info and the evidence with the front desk(who was also the cleaning lady from the night before) I stated that I wanted to be contacted inregards to having some kind of discount applied to the obvious insect infestation surroundings that we had to endure, we still have not received any kind of communication and it's been 24 hours, I intend to take this to all forms of media, NO ONE, should be allowed to charge 200 a night for this. The gentleman who I was told name is Talha kept insisting that he will lose business and that it was too late, I kept telling him that the reason HE WOULD LOSE BUSINESS is not my fault, that it was due to his dirty motel. "I apologize, sorry I didn't catch the ants and beetles SOONER" I will be emailing my pics to the media, maybe he can explain to someone else!

• Liked — Proximity to the falls
  • Disliked — The lack of cleanliness
British Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

My first (and probably only) experience with a Hotwire booking landed me this little "nugget", a word that comes to mind no doubt because of the dried booger that was still on the bathroom door. Need I really say more?

I am normally a person who is tolerant of a little must or dust, some rust stains in the toilet, maybe a broken AC or what have you. I don't need perfection, but I need way better than this. About the only positive I could find in the whole place was free parking and my car didn't get broken into!

Long black hairs in the bathtub and on the sheets; garbage under the bed; no remote for the tiny TV; carpets that I wouldn't walk barefoot on; a drained outdoor pool (although to be fair it wasn't quite in season yet); no sheets for the rollaway cot; and only three tiny towels (no thicker than a Downy kitchen quicker-picker-upper...they were so threadbare) for a booking of 4 people.

And quite a long walk from the Falls as well. Avoid at all costs!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel was dated, but fairly clean. The shower pressure was great! Our key didn't work in our room door so every time we needed to get in the owners had to let us in. The datedness of the rooms came out in several ways: there were not a lot of outlets; the air conditioner started spitting out ice in the middle of the night, the picture on the wall was hung upside down, the warnings about not having enough towels were true, but the owners quickly brought more when we asked. The pool sign said it was seasonal, but was empty in June. There is nothing extra in the room, but if you just need a place to sleep it is sufficient and it's within walking distance of the falls.

Stayed June 2008

Been to Sunset Inn? Share your experiences!