“Great food, but bad service experience” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 460 Restaurants in Niagara Falls
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great food, but bad service experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I really wanted to give a rating of 5, however the experience we had after dinner changed my rating. The food was awesome. However, when they went to run our card to pay for the bill it came up declined and I called the bank but it was closed. My husband even ran to the nearest ATM and had no luck there, either. I know what you are thinking...my fault, right? No, and I'll explain further down. When my husband went up to the bar to pay initially, one of the employees was very loud when addressing the problem. It was embarrassing. This young man really should have been more discreet and private with our situation, regardless of what this employee thought was going on with our account. Many people looked over because of his loudness. I heard him from the other side of the bar, and decided to walk up to witness the rest of the conversation. Long story short, we had to leave our passports and as much cash as we had with the restaurant. Mind you it was only a forty-something dollar bill for our dinners. After speaking with the bank the next morning, the situation was resolved with our card and I was told that Syndicate could have called the 800 number on the back of their credit card machine to resolve the problem. (We learned my bank had flagged the account for a large hotel charge outside of the country as a safety precaution.) But instead of Syndicate calling their 800 number when I even showed them on my phone the account balance, the employee behind the bar focused his energy on speaking loudly and condescending to my husband for everyone to hear about the card being declined and asking why we don't carry other forms of payment. None of your business, by the way. Bottom line, any person working in this industry should learn how to handle credit card issues in a discreet way and care more about the customer.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Winchester, Virginia
“Great Dinner for our Anniversary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

It was all started when we had lunch at a local diner and the waitress there recommends this place for dinner and sure enough, we drove right by the restaurant and made our dinner reservation at 6:30p since the manager said they don't do a 7pm reservation.
I had a tomato soup for starter which was a little salty to my taste and my husband got a caprese salad which was okay, the tomato didn't look appealing at all. Then on to an entree of a steak which came out perfectly, medium-rare, beautiful looking-oh-so-tender! (it is an additional $6 by the way but I think it was reasonable) and my husband's fish dish, so flaky and juicy and delicious!
I ordered their chocolate pie which was okay and my husband got an apple crumb pie and it was good. We spent a total of one a a half hour from we sat down till we had to pay the bill. All in all, a great value and good food for being in a touristy part of the town. Had a great time!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Delicious food and amazing beer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Beer was amazing, especially the pumpkin.
Food was incredible- from the mushroom soup to the apple crumb dessert and the lobster ravioli in between. Came out hot, perfect portions and chunks of lobster in the ravioli.
Would highly suggest this but make sure to make reservations.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto
“Good value, good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We have been in Niagara falls for a few weeks for work and thought we'd give it a shot. It was a nice surprise. They have a great menu with there courses that is only 20 dollars. The food was fresh, beer was reasonably priced (4.55 a pint!), staff was helpful and portions were good. The only complaint was that the bathrooms were upstairs on the otherwise of the building and the upstairs dining area was really cold. It seemed like there was a draft which is understandable (especially with the building's purpose) but they should be telling people its cooler upstairs or put in an electric fireplace or something to warm it up.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cleveland, OH
“Horrible Disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

After reading the TripAdvisor reviews we decided to make this our special Saturday night dinner at Niagara Falls. Called for reservations on Monday, no one answered the phone. Called again on Tuesday, could only get reservations for 8:30 which is far past our normal dining time, took them anyway.

Arrived about ten minutes early and got the last parking space. Entered the restaurant to find a mass of people milling around in the three-foot wide space between the bar and the wall. No host station. No employee interested in communicating with us. After fifteen minutes finally located the host who to his credit got us seated in another ten minutes. I went up the narrow stairs to the restroom to inject my insulin, it was filthy.

I was looking forward to trying the halibut, opening the menu found that it had been replaced with pickerel (???). My wife and I decided on the broccoli soup and braised beef, my daughter tried the caesar salad and pasta. The soup was cold and looked like it had been processed in a blender. The salad was OK except for the greasy bacon croutons. The meals arrived in a reasonable time. The braised beef was cold, greasy stew meat with too much pepper. The pasta was cold bowties with tomato chunks and peas.

After sitting there for an hour with no service in front of three meals with one bite out of each we put our $60 on the table and left, so I don’t know whether the desserts were worthwhile or not.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere