“Wonderful Stay thanks to Zyla at Check-In” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls

You added Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls to your Saves list
Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6546 Fallsview Blvd, Niagara Falls, Ontario L2G 3W2, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #44 of 137 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Conley, Georgia
“Wonderful Stay thanks to Zyla at Check-In”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2006

Well first of all I would like to say how wonderful our check-in experience was thanks to Zyla at Check-In. We were staying at the hotel from October 9th-14th and when asked could we possibly get a room with a view (we were scheduled to stay in a courtyard room) she was able to upgrade us to a room on the 8th floor which had an excellent view of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls as well as the American Falls. We lost my Mother earlier in the year and I wanted this to be a Special Trip for my Dad and he was thrilled with the room upgrade. I agree with other reviews the motel section is not nice looking but stay in the hotel and you will have a nice stay. A couple of minor things did occur we requested 2 additional pillows and did not get them until we made a second call the next day. Also they should check the jets on the tub as they looked like they were not clean. Shower could have had more water pressure. We were here for 5 days at it snowed about 3 inches on one of the days here and we are from Georgia so we were very excited to get to see snow. I think this hotel is used by tourist groups as everyday we were their it was a daily occurence to see several motorcoaches arrive. Furniture in rooms could use some updating but bathroom was nice . Overall It was a wonderful stay at the Oakes and would recommend it to anyone. Small Gift Shop there as well. For dining don't miss the Fallsview Manor Restaurant out on Lundy Lane it was excellent and cheap compared to eateries around the hotel like Applebee's, Denny's and Vinny's Restaurant which were extremely pricey. 34 Canadian Dollars for Denny's Breakfast was ridiculous. Maid of the Mist was excellent and Journey Behind the Falls was nice as well. Do go to Niagara-on-the-Lake and don't miss the Floral Clock and Butterfly Conversatory. We had an extremely nice time on our trip and hope this review will be helpful for other travelers.

• Liked — Wonderful View of Canadian and American Falls
  • Disliked — Jets in Tub did not look clean
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure to go to Fallsview Manor Restaurant out on Lundys Lane Good Food !!!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2006

We pulled a golf weekend up at Niagara Falls in August, and booked one of the Premier Suites. It was impressive! The room featured a loft style layout, and the views are just exciting - I can't say enoough about the view. I will definitely use these guys again.

• Liked — The views from our room
  • Disliked — We didn't have any bad experience at all
  • Tips/Secrets — Book your golf in advance, we used an online golf packager that was awesome
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2006

We spent four days at the Oakes Hotel early in August 2006 (Saturday thru Wednesday). We had read several very critical reviews and were a bit worried. When we arrived, we had absolutely no trouble with the front desk staff, and the young lady who checked us in was very happy to move us to a higher floor in the middle of our stay and told us how to make the move easy. We started on the fourth floor and ended the stay on the 8th floor.

The room on the 4th floor was very nice, clean, and had a fair view partially blocked by trees but also had a slight odor which was not enough to put us off, but enough to notice. It was well furnished but the bathroom was a bit small. Still, it was more than acceptable.

The room on the 8th floor was much nicer and had a remodeled larger bathroom and somewhat less extraordinary furnishings. It had a perfect view of the Falls and I don't know how you could improve on that view except to go higher (the Oakes has 21 floors).

The motel moved our luggage for us so that when we arrived on Monday afternoon we swapped keys and found our luggage already in our new room. Packing was a bit of trouble, but the new room was well worth it. I don't know why we couldn't go higher than the 8th floor unless it was a rate issue.

The maid service was good and the maids did a good job but they came at all sorts of hours during the day. One day they would be done at 3 p.m. or 4 p.m. and the next day they would be done shortly after noon. It was a bit inconvenient but not a big problem.

All in all, I would recommend the Oakes to anyone who is looking for a great view (get above the 6th or 7th floor on the Falls side or you won't have a great view) and is looking for an average or slightly above average room in an EXCELLENT location.

Finally, the one thing I did not like at all was that a man is parked in the lobby near the front doors and he assaults you each time you come thru trying to sell you a tour. It made us so uncomfortable that we would race from the elevator to the lobby exit trying to avoid this creature as he hawked his goods day and night. Very annoying as I don't like to take vacation time to be sold to.

We would stay there again, and we recommend the Oakes to other visitors to Niagara Falls.

George and Debra

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The man in the lobby selling tours
  • Tips/Secrets — You will be frustrated if they put you on a floor lower than the 4th or 5th
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
BC Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

We read some of these reviews and were a little worried but figured if we book a room in the "hotel" and not the "Motel" part of it we would be okay, and we requested the highest floor.
We stayed on the 18th floor and got a room with a pull out couch in the entrance way then a hall with the bathroom, then the main area. This was wonderful to put the kids down on the pullout and be able to enjoy the falls without distracting them.
Okay, the view, second to none! It is the closest view hotel to the canadian falls with unobstructed views. At night the light show was beautiful! We felt it was possibly even better than the skylon tower view as far as the falls goes! The windows are floor to ceiling and curved so you get awesome views. The hotel is only one room "thick" so there are no bad rooms on the hotel side. The motel side looked dodgy and dirty from the outside, it would be nice if they would rebuild another tower in that spot?
The pool was small and cold, but swimmable, saw a small workout room, service was great. Applebys seemed extemely expensive? (as did other chains in Niagara that are not usually pricey.)
We actually stayed longer than planned, we liked it so much!
I would recomend this hotel highly but book a room on the hotel side up high, it is worth it!

Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2006

This hotel has a wonderful location, the staff were very, very pleasant and the room was clean and well decorated. We were very surprised to be upgraded to the 21st (top) floor and had the best view of the falls in all of Canada. There are many good places to eat close by and we were very close to all forms of transportation. My wife and I like to walk and we found easy access to everything we wanted to see. My only unfavorable comment was the tour salesman located in the front lobby who would give you a "pitch" frequently and that seemed a little out of place in a hotel, but that is a small matter. This hotel offered everything that we needed at an affordable price and we would try to stay here if we go to see the falls again.

• Stayed May 2006
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2006

What can I say!!!! Walking into our lovely premium room on the 14th floor and looking out of the full size windows to the breaktaking sight of the falls is something I will never forget. All 3 of us just stood and gasped at the sight before us. When we eventually turned away and looked at the room we were very pleased as it was lovely. The "swan" towels and bathrobes were brilliant - a lovely touch. The room and beds were very comfortable and the luxurious bathroom and jacuzzi tub were great. The photos on the web do not do it justice as it has undergone total refurbishment and is lovely. The Oakes is excellently situated in our opinion - 2 minutes away from the beautiful Casino and next to the little incline railway train which takes you down to the side of the falls, unfortunately it's seasonal like many things in Niagara and was therefore closed. I enjoyed the pool and hot tub in the hotel which is well used. For eating whilst in Niagara we would recommend Tony Roma's (brilliant food and Tuesday nights its unlimited ribs & sides with soup/salad for $20) which is half the price of TGI Fridays(Shocking Prices). I would steer clear of the Denny's towards Clinton Hill - we had the most disgusting pile of grease put on our plates disguised as breakfast and for that we paid $60. My husband has still not recovered!!! We loved our 2 night stay at the Oakes, the staff were great, the room was fab and we would recommend it and love to return one day.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2006

My boyfriend and I just got back from the Oakes. We usually go o the falls 4-5 times a year for a quick getaway. The ONLY good thing about this hotel was the proximity to the falls/casino.
We arrived Thursday eveing and told our room was on the second floor. After carrying our luggage through a narrow maze we entered our room only to find it looked like it hadnt been renovated since the 1950s. it did not look like any of the pictures posted online here. We sat down on the bed and not 5 minutes later a mouse ran across the floor in front of us--YES a mouse. I promptly called front desk and was told there were no rooms available and we would have to wait until the morning. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!After more complaining and refusing to stay in the room there was "SUDDENLY" a room available. We carried our luggage through the narrow maze back downstairs to the front desk. No apology..NOTHING...he didnt say a word...just gave the room key to me. I have to admit it was very nice. Fallsview, Jacuzzi, etc. In the morning we received a call and were told we had to move to another room. So we carry our luggage to our new room on the third floor. Again nothing to rave about. 2 double beds, a tiny bathroom with a sink outside the washroom and toilet and shower inside. At least it wasnt from the 50s and didnt have mice. The only problem here was the walls are paper thin. I could here the couple in the next room---if you know what I mean.
To end our wekend getaway we get a knock at our door asking in a sarcastic manner "are you leaving today"????. I know check out was 11am but it was only 11:15.
This has to be the oddest hotel/motel I have ever stayed at(very inconsistent). I would rate the first and last room as a 1.5* and the other as a 4*. If you are considering staying at the Oakes walk over to the motel side...you dont even have to go into the room to see what I mean...they actually have a separate elevator leading to the motel side.
I will nevr stay here again. We usually stay at either the Renaissance accross the street or the EWmbassy Suites...so much nicer!!

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls? Share your experiences!