“Made for a beautiful weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls

You added Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls to your Saves list
Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6546 Fallsview Blvd, Niagara Falls, Ontario L2G 3W2, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #44 of 137 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
“Made for a beautiful weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

My boyfriend and I were looking for a romantic weekend in the Niagara region, and I happened upon an online deal for The Oakes. The package deal included a room for 2, dining credit at their partnering steak house, breakfast for 2, as well as complimentary wine tasting passes for 4 was wineries, and a chocolate factory tour.

Upon arrival, the concierge was very helpful and patient with our countless questions. I found the staff was wonderful throughout our stay.

We opted for the room upgrade to "Fallside", and while we were only on the second floor, we did have a fairly good view of the Horseshoe falls(Plus, the 14th floor has an observatory, with 5 floor to ceiling windows and comfortable seating to enjoy a full panorama of the entire Fall's expanse). The room itself was bright and clean. Older styled, but that suits me just fine.

There is no dining room on site, as all the food is supplied through the adjoined Applebee's (breakfast vouchers for 2 were issued to us upon check in). Not a problem for us, but just something to be aware of.

Location wise, this place is perfect. It is right next door to the Fallsview casino and hotel, about a 7 minute walk to Clifton Hill, and a stone's throw from the Fall's themselves.

Overall, we were quite pleased with this hotel, and plan on visiting again the next time we visit!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for "Fallsview" for the best view. "Courtyard" is the parking l...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
OakesManagement, Front Office Manager at Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Thank you for your recent review, I am pleased to hear that your stay was enjoyable and that all staff were friendly and helpful. We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
Keswick, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I don't tend to write reviews but I wanted to point out our experience with the Oakes Hotel. Given the volumes of reviews on this hotel, I figured I might be able to add some voice of reason.

We originally booked our stay at The Oakes in advance through a WagJag deal which is how our family typically approaches smaller vacations. We knew we would only be here for one night and decided to be close to the falls to finish off our vacation at the obvious tourist landmark.

I arrived in the lobby and was greeted by several very friendly staff who welcomed me and apologized for the renovations that were going on. That being said, yes, the lobby (and hotel) are under some pretty extensive renovations. We're a pretty easy going family when it comes to this sort of thing. We don't sweat the small details so the renovations were of little or no impact to our experience and certainly weren't of any inconvenience. All of the contractors we came into contact with were pleasant, held doors, made conversation and even joked around with the kids. Construction "Mess" was pretty much non-existent. I suppose this could change from time to time, but wasn't noticeable to us.

It's clear to see that some who have reviewed here are offended by these things. I'll leave that up to your interpretation, but ultimately a hotel has to renovate at some point. Perhaps The Oakes is in need of some updates in some places, but lets face it, folks. At least they are doing the renovations to upgrade. Keep positive and keep an open mind and this won't affect your stay whatsoever. Feel entitled to perfection and you might choose to look elsewhere for the time being.

We originally were provided with a room on the 2nd floor in the "Motel" section of the Oakes. Now I will admit that this part of the hotel was very dated. Not what I would expect for a "Fallsview" location hotel. I can only imagine that the ongoing renovations here will continue on to this section of the property eventually. Granted, we only booked for $109 so I didn't expect luxury in the first place. With a bit of worry for my son who has some allergies and asthma problems, we thought it best to see the staff at the lobby for alternatives. The fellow that helped us was enthusiastic, helpful and genuinely concerned for our happiness and well-being. I offered to pay a premium for a different room as long as it wasn't too much and if it was better for my son's asthma. I ended up agreeing to a $30 upgrade for a fallsview room on the 17th floor. (hardly a huge price increase considering the cost of some of the other places nearby). What we ended up getting was spectacular by comparison to the original room on the second floor! "Best view of the falls, Guaranteed" is not just a marketing ploy. This view has it all. A full panoramic view of the American and Canadian falls and beyond. The kids were amazed by the sight!

We made use of the Jet tub in the bathroom which was a nice touch. We found the room to be sufficiently clean to our needs. The only exceptions that I took were the half-full shampoo and body wash bottles in the bathroom on arrival. Either these had been left in the room from the prior guests, or replaced from somewhere else, but they were not new. (not a problem for us, as we typically bring and use our own stuff and don't rely on hotel provisions). There was quite a bit of dust on some of the lesser used surfaces like the top of the TV cabinet. Most people won't notice or care about this, but we tend to look on account of my son's asthma. Finally, the TV programming seemed to be very sparse. There were no channels available for kids and very little in the way of anything other than news. We only had a one night stay, so this was of little issue to us, but might have been a bigger concern on a longer stay.

To conclude, our stay with The Oakes was better than expected. Other than a few housekeeping concerns, there was really no problems with our stay whatsoever. We found the staff to be friendly and more than accommodating. Rates are certainly reasonable for the location. I won't go on about renovations. Lets be honest. It is what it is. Hotels need to do this from time to time. Eventually it will be sparkly and new. My main recommendation would be to avoid the "Second", older part of the hotel at all costs until it gets renovated. If there is availability, don't hesitate to pay an upgrade and move "up the tower" with a view. This will avoid disappointment based on expectations.

Room Tip: Avoid the "Motel" section until it gets upgraded and opt to upgrade for the "Tower&qu...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your extensive review on your recent stay here at the Oakes Hotel. As you have mentioned yes we are undergoing renovations to update our hotel and they are almost complete. We appreciate that you voiced all of the positve and negative aspects of your stay. I have forwarded your review off to the housekeeping department so that the small details do not get missed in thr future. We hope that you will return in the future to see all of our great improvements.
Maywood, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I was apprehensive about staying here because of some negative reviews. We had a package through Amtrakvacations.com and it was with this hotel. Fortunately, we had a pleasant stay. Unfortunately, the lounge was closed because of renovations. We had a room on the 6th floor and had great views of the falls. Rooms on the higher floors will have the best views. Staff was friendly, helpful and accommodating.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review on our hotel, We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and that your room was comfortable. We hope to see you again!
West Chester, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

The view was great from the 21st floor, BUT it was a four foot wide window that was on the same wall as the air conditioner. Nothing like pictured in the hotel's pictures. No chairs, no table at the window. Just a narrow window you could stand at with the air conditioner blasting you. Not what we thought we were getting.

Also, during our two day stay we had to go to the desk and get our keys re-keyed four times as they kept losing their programing. A corner room four floors down had the view we thought we were paying for and it was cheaper than ours....go figure. Lesson learned.

Room Tip: I will not stay at this hotel again.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review, Our rooms on the 21st floor do have a smaller window as it is the top floor of the hotel .Our hotel does feature several different styles of jacuzzi rooms,. We do have larger jacuzzi suites with floor to ceiling windows that do have a full sitting area within the room..
nyc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

It was my birthday & first visit to niagara falls canada. Just a overnight stay in this hotel. I wanted a nice view for that one day. To start check in was somewhat slow. She stated she gave me the best room. She gives me room 728 something like that. I go up to my room and before I even step into room a lady sits up on bed and looks at me. All I can think right now is " I don't need this on my birthday" I get an instant head ache ( high blood pressure) stress doesn't help. I go back downstairs and they give me the room next door. The room was clean for the most part some area had small coating of dust.The beds were hard pillows were soft. I didn't sleep well at all. The t.v was cloudy and few channels. View is ok, mostly trees blocking the falls. Sure view was better on upper floors. On the 14th floor the view is suppose to be great. I went to 14 floor at night and it was a mess, scary etc and you couldn't see a thing, they are doing renovation on the 14 floor. I try to go back up in the morning on my last day. The work men says I can't walk on the floor, a guest gets on elevator that is staying on 14 floor, she didn't have wings, so she walked on the floor. I'm puzzled and upset again!!!! I said to her they have guests up here, she stated yes it's a mess and hot in the rooms, but the view is great. The breakfast that was included in the price at Applebee's the serving size was very small. The bacon was not cooked well at all, I paid for two guests even though I was alone, they gave me one serving. The server was a bit nasty at first, but as she saw I was not happy with the meal she seemed a little nicer, it didn't change anything she did ask was anything wrong as she saw I didn't eat anything. NEVER COMPLAIN ABOUT FOOD IN RESTAURANTS, just consider it a loose. The hotel is in a good location but.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
First off please accept our apologies, for the original room mishap that should never happen, i will look into how this occurred and how we can ensure for the future that this does not happen again. I also will speak with the restaurant management regarding food quality and service, as well as forward your comments and concerns to all of the management team here at the Oakes hotel. We hope that you will return so that we can show you that our rooms and customer service are better that what you experienced.Take care!
Lindsay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

the rooms are clean and and the view is great the only thing i would change is the tv and the channels available and it would have been nice to have dinner at the skylon to go with the view you have at the hotel.We had great service from the front desk also

Room Tip: ninth floor and higher
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, we have actually just changed over to the new flat screen televisions and are in the middle of partnering with a new cable provider to better accomadate our guests, This will be completed in the near future. . Take care and hope to see you back again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights for our wedding anniversary. We got a king jacuzzi room the 22nd floor over looking the falls. We took a package which included a casino voucher wine tasting, 2 course dinner at Remington's and a $20 voucher for Applebee's . The room view was great! Our room was clean a little dated but still comfortable. Dinner at Remington's was good very similar to the keg. The only complaint we had is there was construction in the lobby as the hotel is renovating and updating some rooms. It was a great value and a comfortable stay.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
OakesManagement, Front Office Manager at Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
We are pleased that you took advantage of our gourmet getaway package with a king jacuzzi guest room. We do provide the BEST view to the falls in the area. Yes we are under going renovations and are also updating our in room bedding televisions and carpeting etc. We hope that you will return in the future to see the improvemnts that have been made to our hotel.

Been to Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls? Share your experiences!