“I would not stay here for free!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Express Niagara Falls

You added Howard Johnson Express Niagara Falls to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Express Niagara Falls
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   8100 Lundy's Lane, Niagara Falls, Ontario L2H 1H1, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #71 of 137 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Toronto
“I would not stay here for free!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Recently we booked this place for one night, we are two adults traveling with our 5 year old. We got a really good price on-line and decided to give it a try since it is a Howard Johnson establishment. Let me first outline that we are very well traveled people and we are not overly picky. The basic requirements we have in choosing a place to stay is cleanliness and a well kept property. This place does not even meet the bare requirements!
Upon arrival we were greeted by very friendly and helpful front desk staff. Check in was quick and that is the end of anything positive. Upon entry to the room we noted a noxious smell in the room. Even our 5 year old asked what was the bad smell. The only way I could describe the smell is rotting old vomit! The room itself was very dark, and with extremely stained filthy carpets. The room was also very cold, the date was October 13th not an overly cold day but a day that does require some heat in a room. We turned on the heating unit in the room and after 15 minutes noted that it barely blew luke warm air into the room and not warming it up at all. All in all this room was absolutey DISGUSTING. I would not stay in this room even if it was for free. I would rather sleep in our car! The only aspect of this room where it looked somewhat clean was the bathroom that had what looked like a new tub surround.
We ended up leaving the room and decided that there was no way that we would stay here, let alone stay here with our child. My husband went to the front desk to get a refund. We ended up getting our money back minus a $20 cancellation charge. We then proceeded to look for a room in a higher end hotel and we ended up at the Embassy Suites Hotel which was more expensive but well worth it to have a clean, warm and inviting room to stay in!
Honestly please do not stay here if you like clean rooms without noxious smells.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Burlington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I will never stay a this hotel. The house keeping woke us up to ask us if our lights were working when it was another room that had called. The smell of smoke lingers in the rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

When i first reserved this hotel i was a bit weary because of the reviews, but i was also skeptical of the reviews because some people just like to complain. So when i got there i was greeted by some great staff. They were all very friendly.

When i got into my room, it was just a basic room with 2 queen beds. The bathrooms looked newly renovated and looked very clean. There wasn't anything fancy, but was comfortable and clean. Thats all i really needed. Me and my family werent in the rooms for too long. We spent a lot of time at the falls. I liked how this hotel wasn't super close to the falls as I'm a light sleeper so there wasn't a lot of noise. I came on a weekend and the hotel was packed. I did hear a little bit of noise and i called front desk and the problem was solved right away.

The breakfast was good and i was satisfied.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and those who are looking for a clean hotel not to close to the noise of the falls and tourists. Also there is a bus that takes you all around the falls and attractions. That was convenient. because parking at the hotel was free and the bus was an all day pass that ran every 30 mins.

my experience at this hotel does not match the views of those reviews below me. hope this helps anyone planning a trip to the falls.

cheers.

Room Tip: i liked the poolside view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

The waffles for breakfast were very good. The breakfast was nice as was having coffee in our room. The bed was very comfortable. We had a room with 2 queen beds and it was quite large. We had a small dog with us. Management was good. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

TORONTO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. Not only did we find a cockroach in the sink, one of the other couples we were there with found a bunch in their shower. I was completely disgusted with how dirty the carpets were -- there was dog hair and crumbs everywhere. To top it off, when we first arrived in the room, there was an old, food stained, lamenated letter on our bed, wishing us a good stay from management. The room smelt like a crusty old man who hasn't brushed his teeth in a decade. The air was so musty. The bathroom was terrible - it smelt like someone had urinated all over the walls three weeks ago and no one has bothered to clean it. Oh and in the middle of the night someone decided to light fireworks in the parking lot which sounded like gun shots and NO ONE from the hotel bothered to check it out. Look, I never thought much of Howard Johnson hotels to begin with but this was the nail in the coffin for me. Never stay here - it's well worth it to spend the money to stay at a clean hotel (this is a motel by the way) away from Lundy's Lane.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Been to Howard Johnson Express Niagara Falls? Share your experiences!