My wife and I recently stayed with the Howard Johnson by the falls in Niagara Falls Canada.
Upon arrival we found our room to be in less than satisfactory condition. There was waxed spilled on the carpet around the bed, my wife found "pubic hair" in the bottom of our jacuzzi tub and "body prints" on the mirrors in the tub surround. We were both absolutely disgusted.
Naturally we contacted the front desk immediately and the young lady that answered the call was very appologetic. They advised us that this was a busy time for them and room availability was limited. The hotel rectified this situation by sending a maintenance man to our room with cleaner to clean the tub and surrounding area.
We remained at the property for three days and never once did anyone from management contact us or make any attempt to ensure we were at the very least comfortable with our stay. I am not an unreasonable person, this is only a two star hotel, but these circumstances are ones which I would expect to find in a "rent by the hour" type of establishment not a Howard Johnson property.
I did make efforts to allow the company to make good on a bad situation but they have failed at every level. First at the property.
Then the HoJo head office advised me that, (the following is a quote from their email to me), "This property is independently owned and operated under a Howard Johnson franchise, and its management is responsible for meeting Howard Johnson standards." They did offer to forward my concerns. Finally on August 25th I get yet another email, this time from the manager of the property, advising me that he is very sorry for the "inconvenience" this may have caused and offered a "FREE ROOM UPGRADE" on our next stay. The filth found in our room was a little more than an inconvenience.
Over the three days we were there the maids never cleaned our room once. Fresh towels were left outside the door one morning. There is green slime around the edges or the hot tub in the pool area and few towels to be found. Gym equipment is on its least legs, and seems unsafe to use.
All in all the Niagara Falls area has an abundance of hotels to choose from and I suggest people see the hotel and room before they commit to it, if possible. If the rooms are clean the hotel should not be afraid to show you one in advance.
We will definately not be staying with Howard Johnson again,
franchise or otherwise!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Niagara Falls Howard Johnson Hotel By The Falls is a 3 Key-Green Certified family-oriented, pet-friendly, full-service hotel that offers you wonderful Niagara Falls Hotel Accommodations consisting of 198 newly renovated spacious guest rooms including Family Suites, Whirlpool Guest Rooms and Traditional 2-Queen Bedded Guest Rooms, as well as our Balcony Rooms overlooking all the action below along the Clifton Hill District. The hotel also offers plenty of on-site above ground and under ground self-parking for your convenience as well as an on-site WEGO Stop to let you get around town without having to move your car. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Howard Johnson Hotel By The Falls reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Niagara Falls
- Niagara Falls Howard Johnson