Just had a TERRIBLE experience this past long weekend in this hotel. A waitress spilled hot water from a teapot onto my one year old nephew's head. Poor thing was asleep in his stroller and woke up screaming in pain. We had to request ice for the burn and an ambulance (the site manager offered us directions to a walk-in clinic - I mean, really???). Thankfully because WE applied the ice straight away it was not as serious as we initially thought, but it was still a trying experience and the rest of our trip was ruined. And what was the hotel's response? Crediting us for breakfast (which we never got to finish anyway) and a few extra hours in the room. I can't help but wonder whether customers with a more 'polished' look would have received the same treatment under similar circumstances. At the end of the day we spent tons of money for four fallsview rooms and a ruined vacation. To top it off, after I wrote a similar complaint on their Facebook page this morning, I returned to check if they replied to it, only to find it DELETED from their wall. Unbelievable!!! Do NOT stay here!!!!