“Would never stay here again.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Rex Motel

Save Saved
You added The Rex Motel to your Saves list
The Rex Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   6247 Mcleod Road, Niagara Falls, Ontario L2G3E9, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 139 hotels in Niagara Falls
Chicago
“Would never stay here again.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

We had read the reviews and decided to book at this hotel. When we arrived the room was definitely now what we expected. The bed was so low to the ground I don't know how we could have gotten up the next morning. We spoke with the manager and they showed us another room. Not much better but at least the bed was higher. We were exhausted and didn't want to drive all over to find another place.

We soon realized we should have driven on. There was no deadbolt on the door and the lock was totally insufficient. There was no air conditioning so you had to leave your unsecured window open. Everything was old and run down. I have stayed at older establishments before and there is a difference between vintage and run down. This is run down.

The neighborhood did not appear all that secure and we could not wait to get out of there the next morning. The breakfast consisted of a roll and there was nothing about this hotel that I could recommend (and I'm not a fussy traveler). I have no idea how this hotel has the positive reviews it does I kept thinking that I had to be at the wrong hotel but the address and the name confirmed that was not the case.

379 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I selected this motel because of the great reviews, and I was curious to find why a 50 year old motel ranks #1 in a city full of hotels. The reason is obvious....the owner, Emily welcomes her guests more like the owner of a great B&B than one of an older motel.

I seldom stay in small local motel, because the vast majority are operated by people who appear not to like the business they are in. The Rex is completely the opposite situation, with Emily providing a warm welcome, insisting that I check available rooms for the one best suiting us, and even wishing guests a warm goodbye and a safe journey in the parking lot the next morning.

The Rex is not the "Ritz", but rather offers basic accommodation with very clean and tasteful and interestingly decorated rooms. It seems to attract a well mannered family/young couples clientele and was very quiet the night we stayed. Car in the lot were from Ontario and several US states.

A couple of minutes south of the busy Lundy's Lane strip, there is a family restaurant across the street and a 7 Eleven and a bar and grill on the other corners.

The place was full to capacity on a Sunday night in late May and a bit off the beaten track. Clearly, they are doing something right.

The experience was unlikely to get me to frequent local motels more often, but I would certainly stay here again.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

We wanted to visit Niagara Falls on our way to birdwatch at Lake Erie. The motel room was basic but very clean, comfortable and had all facilities we needed. The owner was lovely, extremely welcoming even baking some delightful pastries for our breakfast.
I would highly recommend this place for a short stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

I booked this place after reading the great reviews on tripadvisor and I am pleased to say it lived up to the hype. My stay far exceeded my expectations for a motel. The owner is extremely friendly and delivered freshly baked pastries as a welcome present (when have you ever been to a motel that does that?!). She is also a great source of knowledge about the local area. All the rooms are creatively decorated, each having a unique theme.

At the end of the day, this is still a motel so it might not be for everyone. But if you are looking for a budget stay near Niagara Falls, I recommend this place without any hesitation. Be sure to make a reservation, as it books up!

Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

Hi, we are a young family from Montreal, we were in Niagara for the Easter holidays. I can say about Rex Motel , clean rooms, great location and absolutely reasonable prices. I hope when we want to stay again in the same motel to have a chance to have free rooms because I think that very soon the family that owns this motel will have 100% occupancy throughout the year .

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

I stayed here because I had a layover one night before moving on somewhere else and my original criterion was simply finding a cheap hotel. When I arrived the owner was there to personally greet me and take of whatever I needed (complimentary water, pastries and any advice I needed). As for the rooms they are very unique and bright and well decorated, unlike many hotels that just have a sterile and generic fitting. The rooms were also very clean. I felt this was a very different experience than anywhere else I have stayed, very homely and the owners obviously take a lot of pride in their business.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Groningen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

Lovely place, very clean, owners are very nice and polite. the motel is in a relatively quiet neighborhood and just (with the car) a few minutes away from the falls. tankstation and 7 eleven on the other side of the road, very conveniant. Wifi in the room was free!

Stayed April 2011

Been to The Rex Motel? Share your experiences!