“Family Vacation 8/8 -8/11/21012” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Susan's Villa

You added Susan's Villa to your Saves list
Susan's Villa
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   5481 Ontario Avenue, Niagara Falls, Ontario L2E 3S4, Canada   |
Special Offer
FREE Breakfast!
Ranked #32 of 67 Niagara Falls B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“Family Vacation 8/8 -8/11/21012”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Susan and Edwin's bed and breakfast is located in a quiet neighborhood convenient to the falls.Their bed and breakfast reminds me of Old World charm with over sized and overstuffed furniture. Spotlessly clean.The house is set up with two units on the first floor and two units on the second floor. During our entire stay we did not hear any noise coming from the other units. I did comment on day one that our room was hot and Edwin stated he would turn down the air. I think he turned it down from 82 degrees to 80. He stated that if he turned it down lower, it would be too cold for the guest on the lower floor. It was tolerable as long as the air was working. Note - it was hotter outside and so could not open the windows. When the air cycled off there was no circulation in the rooms and they became intolerably hot. Did not sleep well and felt we were in a sauna the first night. When I asked him to leave the blower fan on to keep the air circulating he stated that it was too noisy. He did supply us a fan and because the weather co-operated, we were able to open the windows for the balance of our stay. Our room had a queen size bed and a pull out couch. The other room had a pull out couch and a fold down bed. The suite is rated for 7 people but if you need to sleep more that four in the unit, there is no room to walk around. In my opinion, four maximum. In addition the queen bed was very uncomfortable and sagged in the middle with two people in the bed. The pull out couch offer no support and the foot of the bed was 4 inches higher than the head. It should have been replaced 10 years ago with a standard bed. Lighting was adequate but not for reading. I counted six ceiling light fixtures with one working bulb and one burned out bulb. Susan and Edwin are two very charming and interesting people.Susan and Edwin are German but i believe that Edwin has a touch of Scottish blood.

Room Tip: I read most of the reviews and agree with them. My review is based on comfort. 10 day after trip my...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Susan-R-Edwin, Manager at Susan's Villa, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
When writing a response I have to be VERY careful. If I write what I would like Trip Advisor will not publish.
My first thought about this one: Ignore. But then: Why should I let someone without much adding skill (see below) ruin my sleep. I try to be as polite as I can
Our first and very bad review in 2010 was from someone from Maryland. This is a bad review (# 20-some anniversary) from someone in Maryland. We have had many people from Maryland. All were very great people.
This wbadore was here with 2 grand children (1 room) and his 300 lbs daughter. The mattress of the queen bed did not like his and the daughters weight very much. Probably some 550 lbs. The mattress did not get hurt, is still in a great condition like all our 4 year old furniture!! Practically all almost new. Actually the five lines in the beginning are very true. Than it gets awkward. Why? Who knows.
The suite has 5 ceiling light fixtures. All were working, still do. He called me in his 1st night at 11:30 p.m. complaining about the TV remote control. Does not work, he said. Will check in the morning, I said. He figured out in the meantime how a remote control works.
The temperature was 70 degrees F, 21 C, naturally the air condition did not start. I still wonder why he did not open a window. (The other 10 people in the house liked everything, the temperature was just right.) Next morning he asked for a fan. We gave him 2 fans. We are generous.
I could go on like this but I said enough I think. I hope that Trip Advisor will publish this which is not as bad as this review.
To all nice people of Maryland: Please come and we will treat you very well! You may able to write a 5 star review!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Geneva, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Stayed in first floor suite two days. Very nice place all around.

Edwin was quite entertaining and helpful, ESPECIALLY about what to see in our limited time. (Don't miss Niagara-on-the-Lake!)

Easy walk to the Falls, fireworks and downtown.

Only regret was that we had to leave too early on our final day in order to catch the Muskegon MI ferryboat and missed breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Susan-R-Edwin, General Manager at Susan's Villa, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this great review.

We hope that you got the ferry boat and everything went well.

Susan and I wish you the BEST for the future.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful 2 night stay at Susan's Villas in Niagara Falls. We were 4 adults and 2 children aged 5 & 7, and stayed in the spacious 2 bedroom Domino Suite which suited us perfectly. We were welcomed by Edwin, who kept us entertained through our stay with his lovely cheeky nature and jovial banter. Thanks you also to Susan - there was not a spec of dirt to be found here and the breakfast was absolutely excellent! Perfect location, central to everything, free wi-fi, plenty of parking spaces. Thank you for a great stay and making our family feel so welcome.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Susan-R-Edwin, General Manager at Susan's Villa, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you Sonia for this great review.

It is easy to be friendly to nice and great people!
You are welcome here anytime.

Susan and I wish you the BEST for the future.

Grand Blanc, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Our family of five stayed at Susan's Villa in Niagara Falls and we loved it! Edwin and Susan are wonderful hosts! We stayed in the Domino Room, which had 2 bedrooms, and it was very comfortable, plenty of room and we never felt crowded. The room was very clean, and the closets were very nicely sized. It really felt like I was staying at a family member's house, and we made a lot of use of the common room outside of our room, which was great for relaxing and hanging out. It was so good to go there after a long day of walking around.The location is just a short walk to the Falls and Clifton Hill. Susan made an excellent breakfast each morning, we couldn't stop talking about the bacon! Edwin and Susan were both so sweet and friendly, it was sad saying goodbye, and the big hugs we got from them made me feel like I was leaving my mom and dad's house :) It really made a big impression on me. We will definitely make this our home away from home when we return to Niagara Falls!

, General Manager at Susan's Villa, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you very much for this great review.

Susan and I liked you very much too!
Hope to see you again.

All the best for the future to all of you.
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The location of Susan's villa is really great. You can walk to the falls and the centre of Niagara from there very easily. There is parking next to the house too. We had two rooms, one of which slept 4 and had a fold out bed in the wardrobe too. There was a bathroom in between the two rooms, and the other room had a double bed too. The place was really comfortable. We got there quite late at night though and I was led to believe that arriving after 11 would mean that nobody would answer the door. There was free Wifi and breakfast was served at 9 sharp. There was a problem with the hot water there, so I had a freezing cold shower with the force of Niagara Falls behind it! I am sure that was a temporary problem though and overall I have to say that it was a great place to stay!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Susan's Villa, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you for this nice review.
I hope to see you again.
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

very spacious room with 2 bedrooms, private bathroom, fridge and tv in the room, extremelly clean.
Family trip with a toddler and he loved it!
The breakfast was tremendously huge and delicious (and we have a very big appetite!)
They gave us very good tips for our tours, free parking and the keys to come and go whenever we wanted to.

We look forward to stay here next time.

Couldn't ask for a better location, everything is at walking distance.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Susan-R-Edwin, Manager at Susan's Villa, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
Thank you very much for staying here and for this super review.

We hope to see you again. We also would welcome referrals very much.

Thanks again, Edwin
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

We stayed there 5 days with a 7 months-old baby. They had a foldable crib and a high chair, as well as a standard bath in our suite to accomodate the baby's needs. Susan was absent and Edwin agreed to let us cook our own food, since I have a very strict diet to follow (soy and milk proteins intolerance). It is located about 10 minutes walk to the waterfalls, therefore very practical. Less luxury than at some condos, but much more accessible for our baby and our wallet.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Susan-R-Edwin, Manager at Susan's Villa, responded to this review, October 30, 2011
We have great guests. Testimonials sent by past guests to many web sites besides trip advisor show that. If something could be changed for the better we change. Our guest must be happy!
Now, we tried to help nathpick and…..BIG mistake as you saw! I feel like stabbed in the back and really hate to write this response!
This woman calls, writes, and calls. She needs something cheap. The cheapest room. No Breakfast for her, the boyfriend and the baby. I felt very sorry for them and still do. Send them to a hostel? No, I took them in.
The regular price of the suite we gave her was $ 120.00/N. For her I charged ONLY $ 80.00 (eighty)/night, 5 nights. Big saving!
I bought a highchair and a crib. I picked them up from the railway station. We let them use the kitchen. Cleaned the dining room after them times and again. Laundered plenty of towels for her. Let them wash their own stuff, and…….
Both, my cook and I were always there when they needed something, even milk. Free of charge. Just helping. Always! They were happy here. Always!
Now she complained, writes a bad review. WHY? Makes me very sad after what we did. Service not good enough? She got the BEST possible. Worth 7 out of 5. Value: worth 8 out of 5. Cleanliness: could not be better. We have the cleanest place around! Sleep quality, rooms: I quit commenting! Too depressing!
They left when everyone was still asleep. Missing was the phone and 2 towels.

What did we do wrong? Being too helpful? Quit helping in future? NEVER, WE KEEP ON DOING WHAT WE ALWAYS DID! Do the BEST we can to keep our Guests happy! This is our mission!