“A Romantic Piece of History” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Niagara Falls - Fallsview

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Niagara Falls - Fallsview to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Niagara Falls - Fallsview
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5685 Falls Avenue, Niagara Falls, Ontario L2E 6W7, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Flexibility & Breakfast!
Ranked #34 of 138 hotels in Niagara Falls
Brisbane
“A Romantic Piece of History”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here in April and the hotel was only minutes by taxi from the train station
and a very short walking distance to the falls.
The building is a classical example of beautiful turn of the century architecture.
The staff were helpful and the rooms all had amazing views to the falls.

Room Tip: We had a room on a high floor and paid a little extra for a room closest to the Horseshoe falls, th...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

1,016 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Winnipeg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a conference that my organization was hosting. My room was on the 12th floor with a wonderful view of Niagara Falls. The room was small but contained all the comforts of home. I especially appreciated the warm to hot water for the long showers that I take. Very soothing before the hectic day commences.

Room Tip: the rooms with a view of Niagara Falls are at the front of the building. It's worth the extra d...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here twice during a coach tour.
First nights stay was in a room with a decent view of the falls. Room was clean and bed was really comfy. Only downside was it was really warm in the room, the air con didn't seem to work, but I didn't mind opening the window and falling asleep to the noise of the falls.
Second visit and we were given a room at the back of the hotel with a view of the car park. Room was clean and seemed more spacious than our other room at the front. The bathroom was smaller though and lacked an extracter fan. Bed wasn't as comfy as before.
My wife and I both enjoyed our stay, the hotel gives the impression of grandeur.

• Stayed October 2012
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza as part of a Thomas Cook escorted tour of the east coast of the US and Canada. We were greatly looking forward to staying at this hotel as its position was perfect, especially as we had paid extra for a falls view. Our Tour Manager did warn us that the rooms were not as big as the standard modern US and Canadian hotel rooms we were used to but we were not worried. However when we checked into our room we realised that the bathroom was so small and the loo so badly positioned, wedged as it was in the corner of the room, as to make the thing unusable. Now, I know my old dad used to call me a girl who was well covered but even my slim husband had to take the loo roll off the wall in order to be able to wedge himself onto the loo for the necessary function. We immediately asked for a change of room and we were offered a disabled room which the receptionist 'talked up' saying what a lovely room it was even though it had no falls view. The member of housekeeping who helped us move whispered in our ear that the room we were going to was not nice but, by this time we were so exhausted, we just wanted to get settled. When we arrived at the new room we found a room that had a bigger en suite but the room overlooked the indoor swimming pool, so no
natural light and when we opened the curtain, there was a chap looking at us as he laid on his lounger! To make matters worse, the light of the pool stayed on well into the night and illuminated our room like Blackpool! The following morning my husband went back to reception to complain about the terrible room we had been given and the dishonest receptionist who had said what a lovely room it was. My husband is a very controlled chap but when he gets angry, he is not to be messed with. The upshot was that, finally, we got a big, falls view room with an en suite big enough for my posterior. Oh happy day.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with an adequate en suite and don't let them put you in a room over...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed at the Plaza in August of 2009 (the review drop-down didn't give a choice for 2009) for a convention. I was nervous as the feedback from people who had already checked in reported tiny, tiny rooms. When I arrived at 3:30pm, my room wasn't ready. It still wasn't ready at 6:30pm. Good thing I had events to attend, though I would have liked to freshen up or at least change. The lobby has an impressive staircase and an old, rich look and feel to it.
Returning after 10pm, the room was ready. The front desk informed me that I had received a room upgrade as compensation for such a long wait to have a room ready. Nice service.
As I opened the door to my room, I held my breath, wondering how I was going to fit 3 or 4 more people. Imagine my suprise to discover a 2-bedroom suite with dining table, living room and kitchenette!
If it was a mistake, I wasn't about to seek to correct it. I was paying a convention/group room rate, so I wasn't charged extra.

Here are the "goods":
My particular suite was outstanding, save for the tiny, tiny bathroom that required a yoga instructor to get in AND shut the door. The food that was served was very good, though if you were one of the last tables, it was a bit cold.
The rooms with the view of the falls DO have a spectacular view.
The hotel has access to the indoor waterpark, has underground parking, is close to absolutely everything and has that old, luxurious feel to it.
The beds were super-comfy, the pillows fresh and fluffy and the room was immaculate. The entire hotel was spotless.
The internet was fast, the staff very courteous and the convention facilities were lovely.

The "Not-so-goods":
You pay extra for absolutely everything - parking, internet, waterpark, tourism fees, etc..etc.. I have never understood the need to charge extra for parking. Either include it in the room rate, or don't charge for it at all. If you're within walking distance from your home, chances are you don't need to stay at a hotel. Therefore, 99.9% of guests probably got there via a vehicle of some sort that requires a parking spot.
The Plaza Maze - to get to the parking lot, the waterpark or even some upper floors of the hotel, you can count on travelling at least two different elevators. This is crazy confusing and very poor planning. It's pretty bad when you have to stop and ask for directions within the hotel!
Rooms - while mine was huge, I did visit my friends' rooms and yes, they are very, very small. If you have more than 2 people in a room, pay the extra for a suite or room with a view that provides extra space.
Food - the on-site restaurants are quite expensive - you will get a much better deal at the Casino. I ended up with a meal charged to my room - I didn't eat there. Staff at least fixed the problem when I brought it to their attention, but it concerns me that room numbers weren't confirmed prior to that charge being directed to me.

Summary:
If you're 2 people or less, you don't need parking or internet and you want to have an old-luxury kind of hotel, the Plaza is for you. You will get excellent service, comfortable beds & pillows and you will be in the heart of the tourist area. Keep in mind you'll get a tiny room, be charged extra for everything and you'll be spending a lot of time switching elevators to get where you want to be.

Room Tip: Go for a suite or larger room if you have more than 2 people in a room. Watch out for parking, inter...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Compared to other properties in Canada this old that I've stayed in (eg. most old Fairmont properties), this one's had a pretty decent facelift. It's definitely not a 4-5 star hotel overall, but considering her age, she's looking pretty good. Our room in particular was relatively cramped, and had an interesting washroom with about 4 inches between the toilet and a wall, but other than that, it was comfortable enough.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Auburn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We got in late to the hotel. We decided to stay here before the Niagara International Marathon. I paid the extra for the falls view room which was very nice. It is an older hotel but kept up very nicely. The front foyer is beautiful. We are priority club member so it was very nice that they gave us an upgrade to a higher room with a great view and a bottle of local wine which was wonderful. The hotel is in a great area with a lot to do and not very far from the marathon finish. It was also the pick up point for the shuttle bus to the start of the race. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is that it was a little expensive. Also to park in the garage, it cost $19 where there are other parking spots where you can park all day for $5.

Room Tip: Personally, it you don't get to the falls often, I would get a falls view room. You can open t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Crowne Plaza Niagara Falls - Fallsview? Share your experiences!