“Gluttony can be a good thing...” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Doing business
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Raleigh NC
“Gluttony can be a good thing...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The very friendly staff at our twilight zone-ish hotel recommended that my better half and I eat at Zorro’s for dinner. As we had already experienced the horror of eating lunch (if “lunch” is defined as “something edible served around noon” anyway) at the hotel, anything would have been better – so we took their advice.

Being a Thursday night and 9pm no less, we were both surprised to see a reasonably full parking lot when we pulled up and a fairly busy restaurant when we entered. It is decorated in an old Italian/Mediterranean the style (maybe as I am no expert) – very warm, earthy and inviting.

We were immediately greeted and seated at a four-top in the corner in a low lit room and within minutes, our busser showed up with garlic bread and water and then entered our waiter. As a rule of thumb, I have noticed that whenever my waiter was over sixty and seemed happy, the restaurant always turned out to be great. It only makes sense that for someone at that age to be a waiter and be happy must mean that he likes what he is doing and importantly, be able to support himself and family doing it. If the restaurant were bad, he would make a meager living; have a wife and family that were stressing him; and, live a miserable existence.

Our waiter was at least sixty and our busser in his late thirties.

We started with Pellegrino and double dirties as we perused the extensive menu. The first problem I had was the wine menu is much too large for such a small mind as my own. We ended up settling on the Penfolds Hyland Shiraz as it was familiar but was impressed that seeing my consternation, the waiter offered suggestions when we got to the menu. I am glad we took his suggestion.

Two people – a buck forty – get the platter for two: crab legs, lobster, scallops, shrimp scampi, filet mignon and baby back ribs...and then the fillers – rice, veggies and salad (he let us switch our Greek for Caesar and made it at the table.) Gluttony in 3D but YOLO.

So with the second bottle of wine, (what felt like) twenty pounds heavier, we dined for three hours and got out with tip for right under three. This is definitely not what we can afford to do every night but if you get a chance to actually dine with your better half, significant other, soul mate, etc. – this is the place to do it.

• Visited January 2013

Canada
“A Great Birthday treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My wife and I chose Zorro's to celebrate a special birthday last week, and the evening was just as we had imagined it would be. From the moment we stepped into the restaurant we were treated to exceptional service and attention which lasted all evening. The staff were attentive to our needs but not obtrusive to our personal time together. The meals were just perfect from beginning to end, but be warned their smallest beef dish was so large I could not eat all the meat, perhaps the large starter and fresh garlic bread played a role in my problem. The sole was perfectly cooked and presented very well. I secretly brought a small ready prepared Birthday Cake for my wife and the waiter and staff presented it at our table at the precise time after our main meal, and they added candles to it for us. I can recommend Zorro's for a special night out or just a great meal. Zorro's is located quite close to Toronto Pearson International Airport and it would be a real treat to visit if you are in the area and are not sure where to eat out. Zorro's has been there for many years and the interior decoration is reminiscent of a Spanish Hacienda, with stucco, bare brick and lots of old and modern stained glass. It has a quiet and refined atmosphere and good free parking.

• Visited May 2013
Ontario
“After many visits, we continue to enjoy it immensely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We are lucky to frequent Zorro's a lot, which obviously we wouldn't do if the service and food weren't excellent. We have yet to have a bad experience. The greeting is always warm and friendly (they remember us now and greet us by name which is a nice touch). On the few times we've had a short wait for our table, there is a small lounge to sit and have a beverage.

The decor is original (70's old world style) but adds to the charm - it's clean, just old. Think white stucco, dark wood beams, stained glass and large upholstered chairs. We like it - it's charming and comfortable. Wouldn't actually want to change it. Waiters in tuxedos.

Service has always been excellent. Attentive with water and drink service. Yes, occasionally you have to ask for something you need, but what's wrong with that - just because they're excellent servers doesn't make them mind readers.

Food has always been excellent as well. We absolutely love the table-side caesar salad. Made fresh, and just fantastic. I've never visited Zorro's and not ordered it! Some of our favourite items are the shrimp cocktail (great zesty cocktail sauce and large shrimp), steaks, seafood platter for 2 (includes scallops, crab claws, lobster, shrimp, veggies, rice, ribs and steak), and we also love the veal parmigiana. The free garlic bread before every meal is also yummy! Dinner portions are large and we often leave with a 'doggy bag'.

Overall, we've found Zorro's to be an excellent experience from start to finish. It's slightly pricey, but when you get great food and service, that makes it worth the price. We highly recommend it and enjoy bringing friends or family as well.

GOOD TIP: If you visit Costco in Brampton or Heartland, they sell Zorro's gift certificates - you can get $100 worth, for $79.99. Makes for an even more special dinner when you save 20%.

• Visited April 2013
Toronto
“Not so good...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I had always wanted to try Zorro's after hearing great things about their food over the years and finally went there last night. I had the Prime Rib au jus and although it was HUGE it was tasteless not very tender at all and very disappointing. The Keg has much better Prime Rib and better food. Also the decor was extremely dated and for being a "steak house" they should invest in some better utensils. The forks were basically the size of salad forks and the steak knife was like something from the Dollar Store, to the point that I had a difficult time cutting the meat.
The service was good and the food came quickly, but I will not return.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brampton, Canada
“still one of the best restaurants in the G.T.A.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My husband and I went for dinner on Feb 2nd to celebrate a birthday and we had not been to this restaurant for a few years but had always enjoyed it in the 70's.80's , 90's,and early 2000.The food was excellent.We had escargot,french onion soup, calamari,salad,scallops and steak.The service was excellent.We highly recommend Zorros and wonder why it took us so long to go back!

• Visited February 2013