“Great Restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Oakville, Canada
“Great Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I really wanted to give this restaurant 5 stars but there were a few things that frankly were small but just were not quite there.
Pros: Had fried rice balls with peas and various other seasonings and these were absolutely exceptional. Also had the pasta with chicken and truffle oil and it was beyond fantastic.
Cons: The presentation of the caprese salad was great but it had several issues. Firstly the tomatoes were in big chunks with the center one being almost whole and were not quite ripe and the fresh basil was hidden at the bottom of the plate. This meant you had to basically manually turn your salad over and reslice your tomatoes to make it as it should be.
The lamb loin main was so thin that it should not have been sliced so thin for presentation but the flavor was great.
Our server was fantastic and was impressed the chef came out to check on our meal. This is a very good restaurant and I would definitely go back. If I could have gone 41/2 star I would have but just wasn't quite there for a 5.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous tasty food. a real find while visiting from London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were visiting Mississauga from London for a wedding and were advised to eat at Mondello. I've eaten in restaurants around the world but never expected to have such fantastic italian food. The chef, Nico, is exceptional. He prides on using the freshest ingredients (even the salads taste amazing) and is not afraid to make food tasty.

There was a bread, oil/vinegar appetiser which was delicious (the olive oil had been imported from a special farm in Italy but it was the bread and vinegar that stood out).

We had a mixed starter that included the softest fried calamari I've ever had with a fantastic sauce, the best bruschetta I've ever had (better than I've had in Italy), salad that was a pleasure to eat and interesting giant meat and rice balls that were good. We had two specials for the mains. Alligator ravioli in tomato sauce...which was spicy and tasted excellent. Seabass in a tomato salsa. The Seabass tasted so amazing that it really didn't need the tomato salsa (which was good separately by itself).

After that we were so full that we didn't get a chance to try the desert (which we heard from other people in the area are meant to be amazing).

The restaurant is very smart. Dress up but you can get away with a shirt and chinos. Service was excellent and exceptionally friendly. The hostess Heather is particularly skilful at hitting the right note.

Mondello is a real find that would be notable in any capital city in the world. If you get a chance, go, you won't be disappointed.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mississauga, Canada
“Just average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The staff was friendly, but the food was just average. We had the pasta with cream sauce, it was bland, I had to add alot of cheese and pepper to give it some flavour. My son had the pizza, and it was comparible to Pizza Pizza, not the gourmet pizza we were expecting.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Canada
“Good Italian food but pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had dinner at Mondellos with our children (8 & 6 years) while visiting Mississauga. The food is good however there are no children's meal. Our kids each got a pasta dish which is fine but instead for paying around $10 for a kids meal you are paying $15-20 each. The food is higher quality which is nice and the service was good which we always expect when you are paying for it. The atmosphere is nice and the staff is friendly. I would recommend it and maybe go back if we are in the area.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Awesome Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I planned my birthday dinner at Mondello's Ristorante. Jessica was extremely accomodating and was there to ensure that all the details were taken care of. The staff was also very welcoming and pleasant, the hostess greeted everyone with a genuine smile and was available to help us in any way needed.

Charlotte our server was pleasant, and knowledge, she was very patient and managed a large group of 20 with such grace - thank you.

I loved the ambiance, it was a nice intimate restaurant with great vibe and delicisous food. I think that between the entire group we order everything off the menu amd everyone was extremely pleased. The food was fresh and flavourful and with generous portions. The Penne Arribiata with sausage was so yummy I am still salivating, the sasuage was tender and moist and not overly salty. I was very happy with my meal - did not disappoint, rather exceeded my expectations.

I felt like I was in Jessica's home as a guest - I had a table for my cake and also gifts, guest were comfy and simply enjoyed the nice night out of festivities. The best part as that the restaurant happily served my cake- that was an unexpected bonus and I was so tahnkful for them for just making everything AMAZING.

I am thrilled that I picked Mondello's to celebrate my 30th - I know that I will be back and so will many of my guests. thank you Jessica and your remarkable team for the warmth you showed me, you helped to make this a very memorable birthday celebration.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere