“Great service for Hotel in Renovation” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #39 of 59 Hotels in Mississauga
Montreal
“Great service for Hotel in Renovation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

Recently stayed in this hotel for a business visit and had a positive impression of the hotel thanks to the great service of the 2 young persons at the reception, despite the fact that the hotel is currently undergoing a renovation. The hotel is located close to the Toronto pearson airport. I thought it would be a noisy place to stay because of the airplanes, but that was not the case. Still, the first room I got was located on the street side and that caused quite some noise due to the heavy traffic. When I returned to the reception desk and asked if the hotel was fully booked, I was told no, so I then asked for a room change. That was not a problem. I was immediately given a new room at the back of the hotel and that made quite a difference.
The free internet comes in handy if you need to complete some business.
The food was acceptable, but nothing special. Free parking in Toronto is not always easy to find either.
The rooms of the hotel are acceptable, clean, but do need an upgrade (old TV's, wall paper, etc.). That's exactly what's being done and I woudn't mind to stay at this hotel when the renovations are complete.
Had a good stay overall, but as usual, if you don't ask for something, you won't get it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
TimGeneralManager, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Toronto Mississauga, responded to this review, December 6, 2010
Thank you for your thoughtful review. We are really excited to reveal our fully renovated facility. We are expected to be done soon. Just a note, that traffic in the area quiets down substantially in the evenings, so noise levels drop accordingly overnight. We are also not under a flight path so it is very quiet in the area usually.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Hamilton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

The first time I stayed here I had an issue with my room with the water not draining properly. I called their customer service line and within a day received a response from their customer service line. They apologized and offered a discount on my next stay. I said that I was traveling for my honeymoon shortly and they offered me:

- free parking for the week
- an executive suite
- free shuttle service (if our flight arrived after hours, they offered to pay for a taxi to the hotel from the airport)
- free breakfast

They delivered on all aspects of what they promised and even had a bottle of champagne, fresh fruit with chocolate dipped strawberries, and a congratulations card. Very well presented, very high attention to detail.

I figured there was a reason for the issue during my first time and I am glad that I gave them a chance to correct the issue. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review. We are currently under complete renovations and look forward to showing off our new facilities soon.
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

I needed an overnight stop-over while visiting family and friends as well as conducting other business. This hotel provided excellent rates, and served this purpose well. After having made my reservation, I stumbled across the recent reviews that this particular Four Points had received. I had my misgivings but was unable to change my bookings! To my relief, I found the room to be very clean, the staff pleasantly helpful, in short, it was as good as any other hotel is in its price range, and I travel a great deal! I had a quiet relaxing evening, got all the necessary emails sent out, slept well and was ready for the next stage of my journey. I would certainly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
TimGeneralManager, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Toronto Mississauga, responded to this review, September 30, 2010
Thank you so much for your kind review. We look forward to being even better once our renovations are completed shortly. I think you will be very impressed.
Durham, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

My colleagues and I checked in, took one look at our respective rooms, and decided to leave. Fortunately, my Starwood ambassador got us three rooms at the nearby Westin Bristol Palace, which is about three miles away. Rooms at the Westin turned out to be about the same price. The on duty manager was nice enough to allow us to cancel our reservations, and my room did have a gilded jaccuzzi tub in the bedroom, with a mirrored ceiling, and shag carpet.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We do not have mirrored ceilings or shag carpets. Perhaps you are referring to another hotel.
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

Very old hotel, room smelled like sewage. Walls seem to be made from paper. You can listen to what happens in the other rooms. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are under renovations and look forward to unveiling our new look soon. We hope you try us again.
Hamilton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

Hotel stay was average. We stayed since it had a special rate for a wedding we were attending ($85). We only slept there. Breakfast is NOT included which was disappointing. The room was very average. The bed was clean and the check-in process was very simple and the attendant was very friendly.

However, the toilet pressure sucked and we woke up at 11 am which gave just enough time for the noon checkout and found that the water didn't drain out of the tub. I told them about this at the desk as we left and he cut me off mid-sentence and suggested "the water not draining well" and then asked if I called down about it. I said no since we were close to the checkout time and didn't want others to deal with it. Especially since I left it like that. He said there wouldn't be a problem if I would have stayed for another hour...for what? So I could watch it drain...I have better things to do with my day! Also, if they knew about it, why didn't they do anything about it?

The blower for the A/C is quite loud but it made the room quite cold. I also saw a sign in the elevator saying the showers in the pool are out of service due to renovations (their website also says the hotel is under renovations so watch out if you plan to stay there soon).

All in all, I probably wouldn't stay there again. The only benefit was that it was a close place to crash after we went to the wedding and the per diem rate was low in my case.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
TimGeneralManager, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Toronto Mississauga, responded to this review, August 10, 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. Yes, we are under renovations but we are doing are very best to ensure that there is no impact on our Guests in the meantime. We are looking forward to unveiling our new look soon.
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

.This hotel and the way it is run is an embarrassment to the Sheraton name and hospitality in general. Were I given a free voucher to stay at this place for free in the future, I would not accept. We made the huge mistake of making a discount reservation at this place months ago for multiple rooms, and you should consider playing twice or three times as much rather than considering this "deal" property. My guess is most people staying here are those unfortunately stuck here with low priceline or hotwire bids, because no sane person would SELECT this place after reading the reviews.

Let us start with the lovely hotel shuttle, which is posted as coming every 20 min on the sign at the airport S5 stop, but only comes every 45 minutes, according to the hotel when you call them. Oh, but no! Its actually not 45 minutes. Its actually every 55 min, or 65 min, or - whatever the driver feels like, really- and then he'll lie to the crowd that is waiting to him with a "I'm only a little late, there was traffic" and moments later you can witness him taking 7 full minutes to drive you to the hotel via traffic free highway (no traffic in either direction). It should take him another 7 to get back to the airport and 5 min to unload in between. Why not go every 20, or at least 30 min then? Does he turn around and head straight back to the airport for the poor passengers waiting an hour on the curb? No, of course not. The van sits around waiting, while another pile of passengers sits on the curb at the airport. Does the clueless hotel staff have a head count of how many people their 8 person van needs to fit? No, of course not?! Why not let the overflow passengers rot at the airport? Who cares? They illegally squeeze 12 people in the van, 4 or 5 to a seat made for three, with no possibility for seatbelts or safety (they need to get SUED), and leave another 8 or 10 or however many curbside - why? Because they can't bother to have two vans, or at least run the single van often enough so the wait for leftover passengers is not so painful. During the time it took the shuttle to come get us, we watched as the Sherton Four Points East shuttle came THREE TIMES, the main Sheraton by airport shuttle came twice, and all the other shuttles came between 2 or 3 times. It was surreal.

Next we find out that despite having made two calls to the hotel in the last two months, specifically asking for TWO beds per room for our reservations and being told that this is not a problem, that no notes were made in reservation, and that the request cannot be met because our discount rooms don’t warrant them respecting what they said on the phone. DON’T TELL PEOPLE ARE GOING TO HONOR THE REQUEST ON THE PHONE, TWICE, only to put us in dinky single-bed rooms after we arrive. If I know I may not be accommodated, I don’t mind. But this hotel actually told me there was NO PROBLEM WITH MY REQUEST, twice via phone over two months. If you tell me you are going to accommodate me, I don’t expect you to feign ignorance of my repeated calls when I get there. I specifically asked for notes to be added to the reservations. And if we book the rooms together, as a family, under one name, asking for adjoining rooms, on the same floor do not put us on three different floors of the hotel. At this hotel what you request means nothing. What you are told means nothing. The nonchalance with which the manager basically tells you “tough” should let you know everything about this hotel and its attitude.

The rooms are tiny. And dirty. Just take a look at the edge of the dark crimson carpet and you’ll see it has not been vacuumed in years. Do not look under the beds. That carpet lets you see everything. The TVs are out of date. The bathrooms are out of date, the bath tubs look filthy from either grime, or age. The housekeeping staff drags about the “fresh” towels in a big garbage bag for ease of transport, and for a fun time visit the “L” level of the hotel, which you may think like any sane hotel would indicate “LOBBY” but in this case stands for basement. There are no rollaway beds at this hotel. The staff has no access to blankets at night, because apparently the hotel is worried they may steal if they give them access to the blanket and other amenities storage? Why else would you lock out your own staff from the linen supply room? The kind man who tried to help us get enough blankets to MAKE a second bed (because these people can’t understand that two people may not be able to stay in the same bed), had to use a stick to break into the supply room.
Wake up calls? You can request them, but you will not get them.
Room walls? So thin, you’ll hear every word next door, and with some of the clientele here, well – good luck.
Windows – so filthy, don’t bother to look out.

The joke of it all is at the end of the stay I realize they put us on a PREFERRED GUEST floor, in order to move our multiple rooms relatively close to each other (because THAT request was one that has nothing to do with what agency your reservation comes through). If this was the preferred guest floor, I hate to find out what the normal floors are like.

The one positive at the hotel is the free wifi. I’m sure they’d screw that up too, if they could find a way.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Toronto Mississauga? Share your experiences!