“Short version: great place to live, but it's no hotel.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ovation

Ovation
You added Ovation to your Saves list
Ovation
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   3880 Duke Of York Boulevard | Square One, Mississauga, Ontario L5B 4P5, Canada   |
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
“Short version: great place to live, but it's no hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

As this location was titled "Ovation", and not "Pelican Suites", I --as a resident of Ovation-- think I can safely write this review, despite never having used this building for a trip.

Seeing some of the nasty reviews about Ovation, I really felt the need to advise people considering staying here of a few important things:

1) This is not a hotel! - Can't stress that enough, people. This is a residential condominium, and most of the people you'll see -like me- own the units in which they live. On at least one occasion I've heard someone argue with the late night security staff about the state of his room--unable to understand that the building's staff is not a concierge. There is no lobby bar, no laundry service, no maid service, and no one from the condo's staff will come to fix anything that's broken in the apartment because (like I said) this is not a hotel.

2) The building's amenities are meant for ALL residents. - If Pelican or any other company tells you you have to pay extra to use them: they are lying. You essentially qualify as a sub-letter, which means you are a resident if you stay here. As an owner living in my suite, I may not like short term guests treating the place I call home like a hotel ... but I'd be furious to know a corporation was charging any resident, short term or not, fees to access amenities that are free to all residents! If you are paying anything to use these (short of a small fee to DEL property management for an ID card), you are being swindled!

3) These are people's homes! - Expect to get dirty looks from people if you don't remember that. But really, as long as you keep in mind that this is a residential property and not a hotel, you'll be fine.

WIth that out of the way, I thought I'd share a few points about Ovation!

About the building:

The building itself is relatively young, and looks fabulous from the outside. A large waterfall feature in the courtyard makes for some pretty impressive pictures - but the driveway for the parking garage passes right through it, so be patient if you're trying to capture a moment on film.

The common areas are deligently cleaned and kept well, and damages -if they occur- are repaired relatively quickly.

The amenities are pretty cool. Three pool tables, four 5-pin bowling lanes, gym, pool, 18-seat theatre (large screen with a DVD player), and a huge party room available for functions.

Couple tips: if you need to access the lobby or the amenities, you need to goto the third floor, not ground. You can, however, access the street from the ground floor. Just accross the street from the ground exit is a 24/7 mini-grocery store--expensive, but better than driving to the nearest gas station for late-night nessissities.

About the parking : Parking is all covered and mostly underground. The door on the lower level is for residents, and the one near the lobby entrance is for visitors. If the company you've rented a unit from hasn't given you permission to park in the space assigned to the suite, you'll have to use visitors. This happens often because companies that own and rent suites will rent the parking space seperately to long term residents, as this is more ecomical for them.

About the area:

Directly accross from Square One (large shopping mall), Celebration Square (festival area), City Hall, a library, a YMCA and within walking distance of a large movie theatre, as well as several bars and restaurants (my favorite is Spring Rolls just down the street), it's a very central-Missisauga location.

Despite being in 'downtown' Mississauga, don't expect to be able to walk everywhere like in Toronto, or other dense urban areas. You'll probably need a car to get around, as Mississauga transit is fairly slow, though you can take the GO bus directly to downtown Toronto if you'd prefer.

For adults there is West 50, and '& company'; both restaurants by day and dance clubs my night. West 50 has an impressive beer collection!

For family entertainent, if you have a car, you'll be able to get to Playdium (arcade), a go-cart arena, a Chuck-E-Cheese (arcade for younger kids), bowling lanes, paintball, and laser tag.

All-in-all, I think Mississauga is a wonderful place to live. I love the area, and I love the Ovation buildings. Though I must say, if I was staying in town less than a couple weeks, I'd opt for a regular Hotel... maaaaybe one with a kitchenette. Personally, I just can't see myself cooking and cleaning while on vacation. Here, you'll have to do all that youself!

Happy travel!

Room Tip: Rooms xx01-xx18 are in building one, rooms xx19-xx36 are in building two. Don't get mixed up, o...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

We chose Pelican suits because we needed an accommodation for longer period of time and so was looking for a more specious arrangements than hotel suits. Pelican suits provided that in the same price. After reading the bad reviews, my expectations were low but our small 550 sq.ft apartment was cozy, neat and functional. It was on 25th floor, so the view was very good. As for cleanliness, it was quite clean in first look but I did clean all the kitchen equipment which ever I used without trusting my eyes. Furniture was mostly from Ikea and in good condition. I believe, the impression on pelican suit depends on which unit you get and how that particular unit is kept. These are service apartments so the quality of the apartment depends on the owner of the apartment also on how he has kept it. Basically in these suits you are on your own. Pelican is only responsible for renting it out and taking the money. This is NOT a hotel.Once they have handed you over the key they are not going to ask or see or clean or replenish the supplies. Whatever it is you have to arrange yourself. If you enjoy privacy and staying for longer period, this option is good.

Pros: specious compared to hotel, kitchenette, close to all amenities, in suite laundry, free phone calls to USA and internet.

Cons: No maid service, no cleaning service, you have to buy every small thing starting from garbage bag to dish washing soap.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Portland, OR
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

Toronto is a beautiful city, we loved it, and we will be back again to Toronto. BUT, the Pelican apartment is the worse part of the trip. yes, the reviews in the site are true- the bad reviews. It was my biggest mistake ever that I did not read these reviews before my booking. Good points: spacious, new washer & dryer, and well maintained kitchen. Bad points: Dirty apartment, Dusty, outdated and broken furniture, dirty bed sheets, dirty bathrooms, weird TV, cannot easily handle the remote, weird parking, and need to understand carefully where exactly our parking lot. The only nice thing, it was near Square one mall, which is a lovely mall. Other than that, I regret dealing with Pelican suites, they promised us luxurious suite, and we got exactly the opposite. It was the biggest regret that I trusted their promise with a newly clean furnished unit. Advice to people: Do your homework and read the reviews before booking any hotel or apartment. I learned my lesson.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

I am glad I did not read the other reviews before booking my stay at the Ovation towers through pelican. My flight was delayed and we landed at 10:30 pm instead of 5 pm. We were not sure if we could check into our apartment the same night given the office hours 9am - 9pm. We still gave a call to Pelican Suites office number. Surprisingly the after hours staff not only answered the call but made sure we checked into our reserved 3 bedroom suite comfortably. Having noticed we had a child less than a year old he got us a baby crib too at 1am early morning upon our request. Our stay was comfortable and with the few exceptions on how to connect to high speed internet I had nothing to complain. Sheets and towels were changed without extra charge. I have 4 kids I could have not done any better.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

Regrettably my own experience was very similar to the previous reviewer namely ‘Bee Gees’ and if anything a lot worse!

Our own experience of the information provided by Pelican was generally poor and amateurish e.g. the information sheet incorrectly listed the direct dial telephone number for the apartment - the impact was that having given out the number to friends and family – it was at least 3 days before we realised it was incorrect!

Our own experience of the parking was similarly extremely confusing as there is a "residents" lot and a "visitors" lot that is totally separate and this was not clear. The situation was further made worse as one of the two key fobs handed to us on check in was not programmed correctly – consequently making getting through the security doors and into the correct parking location and back to the apartment virtually impossible.

Prior to our arrival we requested an inflatable mattress - we were assured that it would be provided on arrival. To our disappointment this failed to be the case resulting in us having to waste valuable time chasing up. When it did finally arrive the mattress came with sparse and dirty bedding.

We arrived tired and late in the evening following a long flight – having been previously been given a ‘BIG’ build up regarding the property by the staff - namely that it was their ‘aspiration’ to live in such a condominium. The following morning we awoke to see the true state of the apartment – it was disgustingly filthy. We immediately called the management office (separate from the condo management office) and requested an urgent meeting – which they agreed to attend and we were able to show them and outline our specific issues of complaint. Which included:

• Carpets, which were beige, had large black, unidentifiable stains in the bedrooms.
• The floors were filthy to the point that you couldn’t walk on them without wearing shoes.
• All the kitchen supplies and equipment were absolutely disgusting and filthy i.e. the cutlery had not been previously washed properly and still had remnants of the previous occupants dinner.
• The TV’s seem complicated and at least one didn’t work – the remote controls were filthy.

With regards to the facilities advertised, one of the worst aspects of our stay was that we specifically selected this accommodation because of the very impressive facilities that were advertised on the companies website. Our actual experience was as follows:

• The virtual golf - was still under construction.
• The swimming pool - was out of action, a member of staff in the on site sports office advised that the water was a potential health hazard and was about to turn ‘cloudy’, and that they were awaiting a part to rectify the problem.
• Gym: This was being extended and some of the equipment was out of order.
• Billiard Room: On one of our evenings - out of 3 possible billiard tables only 1 was in operation.

The outcome of our meeting was that the management agreed to thoroughly re-clean the apartment – and change and provide new bedding - but this didn’t happen until the second day.

We also experienced problems retrieving any messages on the phone – and a thunderstorm during our stay eventually knocked out the phone completely.

I really can’t think of many positives for this accommodation, and only wish that I had read the previous review before committing.

The issues with the accommodation totally dominated and spoilt our short week’s stay, and the experience has regrettably put us all off returning to Canada and more specifically staying in similar vacation homes.

It’s very unlikely but in the event of a next time - we will be booking into a hotel!

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Filthy
  • Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2009

I absolutely loved my stay at the Ovation - starting with the spacious and very luxorious 1 bedroom suite that made me feel at home the second I walked through the door. Most who travel for business understand what I mean by this - and I travel a lot. It's important to feel relaxed when you're away from your family, and this building did the trick. The staff was friendly and curtious, and pointed me to great restaurants in the area. Square One, the largest mall in Ontario, was just a few minutes from the building, so I had everything at my fingertips. I rented a car and took a trip down to Toronto on the weekend as well, but mostly I worked, and then relaxed in my suite at night. I really have no complaints, except for the weather - but then I am from California, so Canada in April is a little cold for me. Spacious, clean, impressive. Three words to describe my suite. I highly recommend this building to anyone - and I will definitely be back the next time I'm in Canada.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Been to Ovation? Share your experiences!