“Good food, some service problems” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout, Late Night
Ottawa
“Good food, some service problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

A group ate here recently and the food was quite good. However, one of our group did not get his order until after the rest of us had finished eating. And he had ordered chicken wings - shouldn't have been a challenge to get those ready with the other dishes. They did not charge him for his food, but still it is disappointing when the meals are staggered like that. Two of us ordered sangria, but it was more like a peach drink than sangria. Sweet and nice enough, but be forewarned if you want traditional sangria, this won't be it.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

62% Recommend
London, Ontario
“Nice Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Went with a group of twelve around five pm. Server was excellent all night. Place is rather loud, so keep that in mind. Overall great experience.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent Customer Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stumbled upon the downtown Jack Astor's--didn't know it was even there (corner of Richmond and Pall Mall). It was a great find. We went in on a hot summer day and immediately our server showed up with ice cold water. She then offered us drinks and raved about the new "grown up slushies" they had---she really sold the product and even though I don't normally drink alcohol it sounded so good I decided to try one and it was so cold and refreshing it really hit the spot.

I was dining with my mom and as with most seniors she doesn't have a big appetite. Our server was able to direct my mom to a few items with smaller portions. THAT was a server who knew her audience and it was appreciated. It was personalized service as opposed to just trying to push more expensive items.

I didn't have a clue what I wanted---I was hungry but somewhat cranky from the heat so nothing on the menu was appealing to me. I said to our server "I'll be honest--I am hungry but not starving, I am too hot to make another decision today so YOU pick something for me. I have no food allergies, I will try anything and serve me what you would suggest if one of your friends came in". She didn't even bat an eye and with a big smile said "Oh I LOVE it--I never get to do that! I will pick out some of our more popular items for you". I LOVE that she knew her menu as well as she did and instead of balking at the request she JUMPED at the chance to showcase some of the restaurants prized dishes. What that said to me was that she had pride in the quality of the dishes the kitchen puts out and that she had the confidence to know that I would therefore like whatever she brought to me. It was a high note and I then went into eating the meal with a positive expectation.

I was served a beer and cheddar soup and chicken fingers. The soup was thick and hearty, had a good taste and was very filling. I have since had it again and it was fulfilling each time. Now the chicken fingers I thought were an odd choice---I think of those as a "kids meal"--and usually they are frozen and overcooked. Our server said "I know it seems weird to serve an adult chicken fingers right?" I agreed it did and then she went on to explain that theirs were not frozen and they were pieces of fresh, whole chicken breast not mechanically separated mash. She stated that they were hand dipped and that it was more meat than breading. She was 100% on the money!! It wasn't something I would have normally ordered but they were SO good and they WERE all white meat and very little breading---just enough to give a crunch and the taste of the fresh chicken came through.

I really enjoyed the meal and the entire experience. From the second we walked in and were "greeted and seated" until we left our server had a smile on her face, pride in her service and in the product she was delivering to the table; her enthusiam was contageous and as a result we have been back to eat!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, Ontario, Canada
“Had the Smokey Jack”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Probably one of the best burgers I ever had from a franchise. Was really good and didn't cost much. I wouldn't recommend fancier dishes that are attempted on the menu.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, Canada
“ones different then the other”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

went to both locations in the past few months .. both with about the same # of people .. 1st went on new years eve with friends to the south .. 13 of us i think .. but for so many people we got crammed into a spot where we pretty much blocked other booths (luckily there werent any diners behind us) and think it cut off usual paths for the waitresses coming out of the kitchen .. we pretty much had to eat with elbows up .. a little akward .. tho the place wasnt as busy as we thought.. and had made reservations in advance but staff was great .. tho felt a little pushed to get out since it was new years eve and she had plans.. one friend got us a free bottle of champagne which was bomb but not enough glasses or drink for the whole table .. kitchen staff even came out cause we couldnt open the bottle haha .. people were dancing on the bar doing the dougie .. food and beverages were good .. but some meals were cold and not what was expected or pictured .. north end i must say was way better!! went on family day weekend about the same # of people .. got a nice spacious table .. great food, drinks and service as well .. everything was delish! no complaints for this location good music and good times!! id recommend going to the north end restaurant

• Visited January 2013