“Another Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Ajax, Canada
“Another Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

This was my second time staying here (I stayed here with my boyfriend for New Years Eve last year, as well).

Check-in went very smoothly and our requests for a higher floor, away from an elevator were met. There were no extra towels in our room, as requested, but the staff member who checked us in warned us that the towels may not be in our room and to call and ask her for towels if we needed them.

We stayed in the 1bdrm king suite.

Last year, we experienced issues with the water (it was very hard and honestly hurt our skin after every shower)...this was not a problem this year! As last year, there were a few scuff marks on the door but the room was fairly clean and nicely decorated (I say "fairly" clean because we found some garbage near the bed and in the living area).

The room is equipped with a full size refrigerator (equipped with a very loud ice maker in the freezer!), toaster, microwave, two-burner stove top, dishwasher, and a small coffee maker. The kitchen comes with VERY basic cooking supplies but could definitely use more. From what I can remember, the kitchen came with plates (4 large, 4 small), 4 small bowls, glasses (4 large, 4 small), 4 mugs, a pot, a frying pan with lid, small cutting board, one large knife, one small knife, cutlery (4 forks, 4 butter knives, 2 small spoons and 2 large spoons), a spatula and a large plastic spoon. I really enjoy cooking and tend to cook more advanced meals (on this last trip I cooked risotto), so we bring our own cooking supplies, but I feel the room isn't very well equipped even for the most basic cooking.

The room also came with two very large televisions (they appear newer than the ones we had last year). We experienced issues with the cable last year but this year we had no such issues!

We didn't take advantage of the complimentary dinners or breakfasts but I did venture down to the dining area to snag a few wine glasses.

The room was fairly quiet, which was very nice. Really, the one complaint either of us had, for the second year in a row, is with the heating system. In the 1 bedroom suite there are two units: one in the living area and one in the bedroom. They appear to be quite old. Each are individually controlled by a thermostat on the wall in each room and both are very loud. The one in the living room only blew cold air, no matter how high we set it. The one in the bedroom blew hot air but it heated up the room so fast that we only had it turned on for 5-10 minutes at the most. We couldn't set a temperature because the system would turn on, bring the room (presumably) up to the temperature we set, click off, but then click back on a minute or so later. It kept us up at night so we had to shut it off. This may not sound like a huge deal but when you're getting out of the shower or just crawling out of bed and the room you're in is freezing...it's quiet unpleasant.

Barring that, we enjoyed are stay and will likely be back next year.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Christina D, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton London Ontario, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear Samantha L
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Homewood Suites by Hilton London. It is nice to hear that you are a continued guest hear and have enjoyed each of your stays.
Thank you for your detailed description of the many amenities our hotel has to offer. I would like to let you know that we have discussed the opportunity to improve on our older heating units and are currently in the process of replacing them with a newer version to ensure guests satisfaction.
Again, thank you for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again on your stay with us.
Christina Dale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Great value for the money and amazing staff! the complimentary breakfast and dinners are fantastic The location makes it easy to go shopping of go grab a meal if you don't want to take advantage of the free meals or cook for yourself at the hotel

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Christina D, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton London Ontario, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Member,

Thank you for the high recommendation that you have stated with your review on Trip Advisor. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Homewood Suites by Hilton London. Our location in the beautiful south end of London does provide guests with a variety of options for dining, shopping, and going to the movies, if as you said, they do not wish to stay in for our complimentary meals or indoor pool and spa.

Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to London.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to give the Homewood Suites a try for our first anniversary and over New Year's Eve. When I booked through Expedia, I wrote a little note to the hotel saying that we were celebrating an anniversary and that anything additional would be greatly appreciated. When we checked in, the front desk clerk wished us a happy anniversary and when we got to the room we found a bottle of champagne, 2 wine glasses and a little bag covered in little hearts and filled with pink and red Hershey caramel kisses with a note wishing us a happy anniversary from the staff! Such a sweet gesture and the card was a personal touch that meant a lot!

We stayed in a little one-bedroom suite and the room was lovely. The kitchen was well equipped with a full-sized fridge (that had an icemaker which made my boyfriend very happy), stovetop, microwave and dishwasher. There were enough dishes, pans and cutlery to make our stay comfortable and there was even a package of microwave popcorn in our room!

Off the lobby is a little restaurant area with plenty of tables and a fireplace. They served the complimentary dinner and breakfast out of there but, during off hours, you could get tea, coffee or even packets to make hot chocolate! We took some of the packets up to the room and I boiled water using the coffee maker (neither of us are coffee drinkers) but unfortunately, the coffee maker must've been cleaned with bleach because that's all we could taste. I'm glad neither of us needed a coffee fix!

The food that’s given to guests is the main reason why I’m writing this review. A complimentary dinner is served between 5pm and 7pm from Monday to Thursday and when I read the other reviews through TripAdvisor I couldn’t find much about the food, especially not about the complimentary dinners. The first night they said there was a mix-up and instead of Salisbury steak, they were serving chicken. That made me happy because I don’t eat red meat… until I saw the chicken. There are two hot trays for each service. Our first night, one tray held mashed potatoes and corn on the cob which was fine but nothing to write home about. The other tray held these microwaveable dishes with 3 lines of puree in them. We couldn’t find the chicken anywhere… I tasted the pureed carrots and it was like baby food, I tried the white line of paste and it was gluey mashed potatoes and the brownish line WAS the chicken! It was pureed chicken like baby food! I wouldn’t have served my cats this chicken paste! Thankfully they have a little iceberg lettuce, fresh cut peppers and grated cheese with which to make a little salad each night but even the rolls they put out were tasteless. After a few minutes, one of the hotel employees came over and said they were putting out some salmon and some chicken burgers… Trust me, they weren’t much better! The salmon was clearly from frozen and tasted very “fishy” and it was breaded with a weird green and red breading that turned the already near-inedible fish into a salt lick. We didn’t try the chicken burgers because they kind of looked like they were breaded in sand. They didn’t serve dinner on New Year’s Day so we were saved one day but I have to admit, I was annoyed that it wasn’t listed on Expedia’s site when we paid for our stay. The other 2 dinners were an evening of uncooked chicken and fibrous green beans and, our favourite dinner, the cold cuts and deli meats to make our own sandwiches. It was hard to mess that up! Even the little macaroni salad on the side was passable! Whew, finally a meal that didn’t give us dysentery! lol

The breakfasts were definite improvements but they were merely passable. The eggs lacked much flavor, the bacon was overcooked and basically shattered when you tried to pick it up but there was toast, muffins, English muffins, cereal and fruit. One of the days they had sausage and that was pretty good! The crowning glory of the breakfasts was the waffle maker. My boyfriend and I basically lived off of the waffles. You pour your own batter into a waffle maker and it times the cook for you. I liked adding chocolate chips into my batter and there was syrup and strawberry preserves for those who liked to pretend they were eating healthy waffles! They even had powdered sugar and cinnamon!

I have to be honest, the staff was so tremendous and they were so welcoming and friendly without being suffocating that I really felt guilty about not liking the food! I realize, however, that the staff probably doesn’t choose the ingredients and shouldn’t be blamed for the lack of quality. I also felt ungrateful since the meals were free but seriously, no one would’ve paid for them anyway!

I would most definitely recommend this hotel to others and I’m sure my boyfriend and I will be returning to celebrate our next anniversary there!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear mradomsky
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Homewood Suites by Hilton London. I am honored to hear that you decided to spend your anniversary with us and that you enjoyed your stay with us and would return back to the Homewood Suites as well as recommend us to others.
I am sorry to hear that your dinner experience was not a good as the rest of your stay. There was a mix up with our order that week and the microwaveable trays that you received were that of the wrong order and unfortunately it was not noticed until after the food was being served that there was something wrong. I will be taking your review and sitting with the appropriate staff to see how we take this opportunity to improve on our dinner service.
Again, thank you for your great comments on the rest of the hotel and the staff, they will all be happy to hear them once I share your review with them.
We look forward to seeing you again at the end of the year to celebrate your anniversary.
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Any HOMEWOOD SUITES we have ever stayed at has always been a great experience. Very clean, warm spacious and inviting rooms. All the comforts from home! Hot breakfast every morning, and an unbelievable dinner menu from I believe Monday thru Thursday included with your stay. You won't go wrong booking at HOMEWOOD SUITES. It is one of my top choices of places to stay!! I would honestly say EXCELLENT!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Kathy C
Thank you for taking to write a review on the Homewood Suites by Hilton London. We are glad to hear that you always enjoy your stays at the Homewood Suites by Hilton hotels. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in London.
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Our one bedroom suite was very nice but needed maintenance. We had trouble with the controls for both the heat and the fireplace. The heaer would not work until we turned the control up to 82 degrees. If the heat was set at less than 82 than the air conditioning was automatically running. Even when we turned the entire system off, the air conditioning was still running with really cold air. We wante our son to sleep in the living room on the sofa bed and it was way too cold for him. It also was really cold outside.
We also had trouble with the fireplace control. The plate fell off the wall when we touched the switch. The fireplace wasnt working either which was especially disappoiiiiiiinting since that's part of the reason we selected this hotel.
The lady at the front desk was very attentive but did not know how to fix these issues. There wasn't any maintenance staff on duty.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Christina D, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton London Ontario, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Sharonsfe
Please accept our sincere apologies for the issues experienced with comfort and appointment in your guestroom. We have reported the malfunctioning of the heating system to our maintenance team however we regret it was not addressed sooner. We will resolve the issue as soon as possible and hope your family will consider staying with us again the next time you return to the area.
Sudbury, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Staff is amazing and friendly. Place is quiet even with kids in the building. Beds are comfortable and has all the required items. A real plus is that they are right around the corner from Tim Hortons and right off the 401 so it is a very easy place to get in an out of.
I will always stay here when in London because for a few extra bucks you get piece of mind.

Dear Crighton90,

Thank you for the high recommendation that you have stated with your review on Trip Advisor. I am glad to hear that your stay with us here at the Homewood Suites by Hilton London met your expectations and gave you a peaceful night’s rest. Our location does help those that are travelling along the 401 for business or leisure.

Lindsay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night for a family Christmas get together. The two rooms that we booked were nice and big with lots of room for 10 of us to have dinner together and then socialize afterwards. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast in the morning as well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Cynthia F,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor regarding your most recent stay with us at the Homewood Suites by Hilton London. We always enjoy playing host to family gatherings and it’s nice to hear that you had a great time together for dinner and socializing.

Guest Services Supervisor

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton London Ontario? Share your experiences!