“Everything hinges on the future renovations...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #23 of 42 Hotels in London
Toronto, Canada
“Everything hinges on the future renovations...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife and I along with our eight month old twin girls recently spent three nights at the Ramada in London for a visit with family and friends. After all was said and done, we left with a relatively unremarkable experience to report, scoring wildly varying marks across the board for us. Located right off the 401, its situated in an excellent location for those in need of a place right off the highway. Its also right off of Wellington as well, one of London's major arteries that will take you straight downtown if necessary. That said, here's the takeaway from our Ramada experience:

First impression/Arrival - Open, airy lobby, albeit a little dated. My understanding is that the whole hotel will be undergoing a major face lift in the future, so curious to see how that will improve its appearance and quality. The provided luggage carts we found very handy travelling with twin girls. No troubles checking in, though we did find it a little odd there is no elevator leading up to the second floor (we were on the first floor, but found this strange nonetheless). Fair first impression, nothing overly negative.

Front desk staff - The ladies who greeted me at the desk were both friendly and courteous. As aforementioned, checking in was easy and were settled in our room within minutes after arriving. We were initially placed in a second floor room, but given the amount of luggage plus twins in tow, the staff were more than happy to change our room to the first floor. Positive experience with the front desk staff, no issues here at all.

Location - Super convenient. Being situated very close to one of London's major streets (Wellington), the hotel is within very close proximity to shopping (White Oaks Mall), restaurants, and about a 10-minute drive north to downtown London. It was this close proximity to both shops and restaurants that places it in a highly advantageous area while staying in London. In addition, you can be on/off the 401 in less than a minute for those heading in/back out. Perfect score on location.

Rooms - Probably the biggest drawback during our 3-night stay there. The rooms were surprisingly dated and poorer quality than we'd expect from the Ramada name. Again, we've been told the impending major renovations will seek to upgrade all the current rooms, but couldn't help to still be a little disappointed. Dated furniture, stained shower tub, average mattress quality, and a incredibly old heating unit (very poor climate control) all contributed to the disappointing impression of the room. We also had a couple faulty electrical outlets that didn't appear to work as well. Management rectified the problem by running and extension from one of the workable outlets so we could use the microwave and coffee maker. Overall, we left with a disappointing experience, but hoping the future renovations rectify all these issues.

Value - We booked through the Ramada website directly, and obtained what we thought was a very good rate (with a CAA discount) given the value we expected to get back in return. That said, the rate we obtained eventually equaled or fell short of our expectations. My understanding is the Ramada is offering big discounts off their rooms until the renovations are complete, but the rates are more akin to a 2-star experience. Average rate, nothing special in this case, despite the intention of coming across as a bargain for a 3-plus star.

Breakfast - Oddly enough, one of the very few hotels we've been to that did not offer a free breakfast. We found this incredibly strange given that in today's competitive hotel market, complimentary breakfast is almost a standard provision these days. You'll have to fend for yourselves here I'm afraid.

The Bottom Line - After all was said an done, My wife and I left with an experience filled with mixed emotions. Despite the location and friendly staff, it was very hard to overlook the poor room quality. Once again, management insists that the renovations will give this hotel a rebirth of sorts, but don't think we'll be returning until we see the final results for ourselves. A generous 3 rating points.

Room Tip: If you have alot of luggage in tow, ask for a first floor room if available since there is no elevat...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Darryl M, Front Office Manager at Ramada London, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
globalwanderer2,

Thank you for this review of your stay. This is truly the most thoughtfully in-depth assessment that I have read about a guest stay at Ramada London. I agree with your comments, both positive and negative, and I look forward to welcoming you back as we continue to update our guestrooms. We honestly believe that our service is second-to-none in London and we are eager to offer a quality of guestroom that fits with our service. In the meantime, we will continue to offer a fantastic rate for a full-service hotel that does not compromise on customer service and offers every amenity that a modern day traveler is looking for. Kudos to you for offering future visitors a fair review about a hotel that works hard to earn your business!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Bogota, Colombia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the last few months. Service has always been good and in spite of this being one of the oldest hotels in London, the rooms are decent. They are slowly making some upgrades, but it is at very slow pace. This time however i was put on the second floor and the walls are paper thin. Even thought the lady next door was very quiet her TV could be heard clearly and when she coughed I expect that she heard my God Bless You in return.

Room Tip: Pick a first floor room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Darryl M, Front Office Manager at Ramada London, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Hello Dirk,

Thank you for posting this review and thank you for mentioning the wonderful staff here as we believe that our fantastic service will make a lasting impression on all of our valued guests. I look forward to welcoming you back to Ramada London and offering you a great rate on a first floor room. Please continue to bear with us during this renovation process as I am sure you will be impressed with all of the updates that we are making in 2013. Cheers!
Brighton, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We were there for a hockey tournament. Paid a premium for a hotel with a pool, and the pool didn't work the entire weekend. We inquired about a conference room to hang out in, and we were told it was $100. There was no place to hang out with the kids except the halls. When we inquired about a discount for the pool that was promised in "a few hours" all weekend, we were handed a letter and the business card of the general manager. When I inquired why a manager wasn't there to handle the massive amount of complaints, the young kids at the desk shrugged and said they would have preferred that too. Knowing there were issues, one would think they would be proactive.

The service at the on-site restaurant was even worse. Very slow, not attentive at all, and the food was marginal at best.

The security guard was banging on the room with kids in it (none of our kids) to the point that one was nearly crying.

For the rate, the issues, and the lack of customer service, I would not suggest this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
alimarie12,

I am very sorry about the pool closure that you endured this past weekend. It was a truly sad situation where a part needed to be replaced on the pool, but no pool company was able to offer this part until the Monday after your team checked out. Obviously, it could not have happened at a worse time, when we had several great hockey teams arriving for another busy sports weekend. That being said, I personally spoke with managers and parents from every team on Friday night to inform all teams about this issue and to ensure them that we had more pool professionals coming in Saturday to see if there was any possible solution in advance of Monday. After being told that there was no chance of re-opening the swimming pool, I again spoke with managers and parents from all teams and offered these groups complimentary team party rooms for an alternative space for the children to play with their mini-hockey sticks and for the parents to play cards and socialize. This offer as well as other offers made to your team, were declined by your team in favour of seeking out refunds. I certainly welcome all feedback from our valued guests, whether positive or negative, I just hope that the comments are fair and truthful. The 3 other teams that stayed with us all took our offers and enjoyed themselves despite the pool closure and even commended the staff for the way that we worked with them to make their stay enjoyable.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed there for a hockey tournament and had a wonderful stay. It is perfect. Kids were playing in the halls, lots of laugher and fun. Great conference rooms for the whole team to get together. I urge you to stay there for your hockey/baseball/sport event.

The room service was amazing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Darryl M, Front Office Manager at Ramada London, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Barbara T,

Thank you for the great review regarding your recent stay with us. We enjoy the challenge of hosting hockey teams and we have dozens of wonderful teams stay with us every hockey season. Our team party rooms have become a real hit with families as we offer huge pizzas, spaghetti buffets and other menu choices to feed these great groups. Our team party rooms are always free when you order food from us and our banquet staff are always happy to set up a TV for the parents to watch the big game while the kids play with their mini-sticks! We have some teams that stay with us every year because they consider Ramada London to have the most team-friendly hospitality in London. I really appreciate your comments Barbara, so please call me next time your team has a tournament in London and I will make sure we offer your group something special.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

As christmas day was a busy one for my family, we knew staying in a hotel was our best option. This hotel came highly recommended to us and did not let us down. The hotel room and building was clean, the staff extremely friendly and the pool was well kept. We ordered room service for breakfast which was fantastic, hot, fresh and well presented. The building was wheelchair accessible and although the bathroom was not, making a transfer was easy. I slept soundly and thats saying something as my back is terrible and finding the right mattress is difficult. I would recommend this hotel to friends and family or anyone else looking to stay a night or a week.
Thanks

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Faith F,

Thanks for posting your comments as we love to hear that your stay went so well. Knowing that we offered you a comfortable home-away-from home during the holiday season makes us all feel fantastic! Please come back to visit us during your next trip to London and we will gladly offer you our warmest hospitality! Cheers!
Mono
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed here one night. Good value for money. Didn't try the restaurant, as there are lots of chain restaurants fairly close by (Mandarin is a 5 minute drive). Fridge and microwave in room are handy, but it would have been helpful to have a basic set of cutlery as well, and would have been nice to have real milk instead of whitener for the morning coffee (nice coffee and coffeemaker though). Bathtub was made for midgets and did not have a plug (hotel staff brought one to the room and said that people steal them!!). The heating system didn't work at first but hotel staff came and fixed that fairly quickly -- it remained noisy & had to get up in the middle of the night to turn it down as it became too hot. Apparently the hotel is updating the heating system, but it would appear to be taking quite a long time given the other reviews! The hotel is very near the highway but there was no noticeable highway noise -- some noisy "hockey parents" in the hall at night. Overall, very convenient and decent value. Nice staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hello Bizmom_44,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Ramada London. I appreciate you mentioning the great staff and great value as these have been the staples of this hotel during our renovation process. I am sorry to hear that you did not try our restaurant as we offer great food and great value in our on-site Chelsea's Restaurant. Please check with Ramada.com to see our latest weekday promotions as we do offer great discounts and rates that include a daily hot breakfast, served fresh.
Mankato, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Don't be fooled by the pictures on the website! The exterior, the foyer and the frontdesk area are very nice looking and updated, our bed was comfortable, but... I found this hotel to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The "security" doors were open all day and night, even when the doors were "locked" we could easily pull them open.This was very concerning, as we had 3 teenage girls with us. The doors going outside were not air tight, letting in cold air and smoke from the smokers outside the door, the hall had a smoke smell all the time. Our room had a very drafty window, mold under the peeling wallpaper, under the window. Damp carpet, under the window from the condensation. Non working exercise equipment, duct tape on the carpeted floors in the hall, non working ice machine, mold on the wall beams in the pool area, non working, rusted EXIT sign in the pool area. It was gross! I would not suggest this hotel even at the "great rate" they are giving because of the renovation process. We were not told they were remodeling when we booked, in fact the web page said it was "newly remodeled in 2010". (Which has since been removed from the website, after I talked to Darryl about my concerns.) The room we stayed in should not have been used for guests and I am shocked that the Ramada name is associated with this hotel.

Room Tip: our room was on the first floor, cold moldy and had damp carpet under the window
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Darryl M, Front Office Manager at Ramada London, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Teresa, thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay with us. I certainly understand why you are disappointed with your stay, despite the excellent rate. You will be pleased to know that all of our entrances have since been secured and we are continuing to renovate our guest bedrooms for 2013. I hope you will contact me directly for your next visit to London, as I would love an opportunity to WOW you with our exciting updates.

Been to Ramada London? Share your experiences!