“Fine but not what is expected from a chain like Ramada” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #23 of 42 Hotels in London
Windsor, Canada
“Fine but not what is expected from a chain like Ramada”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

This hotel is a good one if you are on the run on the 401 and need a one night stay to continue your trip. It is good for budget, but it is not what you expect from a chain like Ramada.

The interior definitely needs some revamping and the bathroom inside the room was ok, but again nort what you would expect from a Ramada.

May be the advantages include the nearness to the 401 and the relatively cheap price of the room. The staff too are friendly and helpful. The room was also spacious and had enough space to accomodate the luggage.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Darryl M, Front Office Manager at Ramada London, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review for your stay with us. I am glad that you found our location off the 401 highway to be convenient. You also mentioned our discounted rates that we are currently offering. This is due to the renovations that we are working on, both interior and exterior. I think next time you stop in to stay with us you will be impressed with all of the upgrades that will better suit our first-rate service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

What a difference between the Ramada in Cornwall which we highly recommend and the London Ramada Inn which we will not stay in again.
We were staying in London Saturday night because we came in from Toronto to participate in the annual car show in the town of Dorchester that took place on the Sunday.
We made the reservations on Friday. We arrived later than we intended on the Saturday night. When we checked in the person at the front desk said to park down the side of the building and use the side door for easiest access to our room.
We parked the truck, gathered our bags to bring inside and proceeded to the side door. Upon entering the side door hallway we noticed the air smelt musty and of cigarette smoke. We continued in and up to the second floor and our room. The air in the second floor hallway smelt okay.
We could not help but notice the room across from ours had ordered room service and the tray with all the dirty plates and utensils was sitting outside their door. It was later in the evening so we assumed someone would be along to pick up the tray. We were up early Sunday morning to get ready for the car show. The tray was still there at 8:30 am the next morning when we left. People using the hallway had to step around it.
When we initially walked into the room and put our bags down I noticed a beer cap on the floor by the desk. We had not opened a beer yet! I picked up the cap and tossed it in the garbage.
There was an orange night light on the light switch beside the door to the room which automatically came on when we turned the lights off. It cast a bright orange light into the room. I understand the light makes it easier to find the door in an emergency but I prefer a dark room to sleep in and found the neon glow a little too bright. (I find the neon night lights are not as bright when they located in the bathroom like some of the hotels we have stayed in.)
Free breakfast was not offered as it is at some hotels. We went to the restaurant in the hotel which offered a buffet of the standard hot selection of scrambled and hard-boiled eggs, bacon, and sausages as well as cold cereals and various breads and sweet rolls from which to choose. My other half usually consumes enough food to justify paying the full price at most buffets and this was no exception. However I do not prefer a lot of food first thing in the morning – one egg, toast and some fruit salad is fine with me. The hostess and waitress were nice enough to take this into consideration and charged us accordingly and not the full price of two buffets so the bill was somewhat so reasonable.
The majority of the area hotels and motels were full when we called for reservations and the only other option was the Econolodge which we will not stay at again. (We stayed there in 2011 when we came in for the car show. The room and linens were dirty. The water in our room did not work. Then they ran out of hot water for the motel. Etc! Not a nice stay!). We were glad we only stayed there one night and feel the same way about the London Ramada Inn.
The most positive thing I can say about this motel is they supply the rooms with lots of towels! I have found even some of the fancier hotels we have stayed in only supply 2 bath towels and 2 hand towels. I have longer hair and prefer a second larger towel for my hair. I use a hand towel so that my other half can use the second bath towel. (I know you can normally ask the front desk for more towels but we usually don’t think of it at the time.) This Ramada supplied 4 bath towels and 4 hand towels in the room!
We would not recommend the London Ramada.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I am truly sorry that you found your stay with us to be unsatisfactory. I can certainly understand that you were unhappy with the condition of the hallways as we hosted several music bands and sports teams over this weekend who enjoyed themselves thoroughly. I hope you were pleased with the great discounted rate that you were offered and I encourage you to contact me directly if you decide to try our hotel again after we complete our renovation process. I would be very happy to welcome you back and offer you a quality guestroom that includes our new bathroom renovations, updated furniture, new flatscreen TV, new heating and cooling units and more,,,Thanks for mentioning our great service staff!
Beaconsfield, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed at this Ramada Inn back in 1988, and was surprised to see it was still a member of the chain so many years later in an age when flags shift in the breeze. (The current staff enjoyed looking at my retro rack brochure that I had with me!).Great location, just off the 401/402 at the Wellington exit, with a multitude of shops and restaurants stretching for a few blocks in each direction. For $67/nt on the AAA/CAA rate, received a very quiet room with a king bed, sofa seating, fridge and microwave, free wifi. Couldn't complain about the cleanliness of the room, bathroom amenities kit was a touch above in quality compared to other mid-range chains. Enjoyed the indoor pool which was just the right temp...breakfast in the restaurant, while not included, was reasonably priced (i.e. escaped without paying more than $10 including tax and tip for eggs/sausage/hash browns/toast/coffee/juice). I would definitely return, for a stopover it provides all the essentials and more, a quiet/relaxing/safe environment for a roadtrip, wouldn't pay double for the competition lined up along Exeter.

Room Tip: Will be quieter on the side looking inwards to the lawn rather than the parking lot...and if don'...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
It is such a pleasure when we get an opportunity to speak with returning guests who stayed with us in the 70's and 80's. The service staff and management at this love hotel love to hear the great stories of weddings and parties that we hosted throughout the last 35+ years of business in south London. So thank you for taking the time to share with us and thank you for posting this review. Please come back again as we love nothing more than welcoming back familiar faces.
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed here for the Day out with Thomas the following morning. Check in ran smoothly, we were accommodated by having our room moved to the first floor as we had two little ones and their 'stuff' with us and there is no elevator. The rooms are clean and quiet. The pool was easily accessed and enjoyable. Checkout ran even smoother than check in. Overall we had a pleasant stay. I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thanks for the great review. Every year we offer a special rate for families attending this "Thomas the Train" event in St. Thomas. We aim to offer the most family-friendly hotel in South London as we have a great family restaurant and indoor pool along with specials on in-room movies for younger audiences. I hope to see you again. Please check with us throughout the year as we sponsor and participate in a lot of great youth and family activities in London and the surrounding area.
Somers, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We were passing through for a night and it looked ok from the pictures online, and it was only $65-CAD. When we got there my husband had to wait at least 5 minutes for anyone to show up at the front desk, and as we made our way to the room the walls were all marked up, the carpet was bubbling and the wallpaper was peeling. Once we got in the room..ugh! It was hot and humid in the room. The vent, which was supposed to be a/c was blowing air slightly cooler than outside, luckily we had a fan with us or it would have been unbearable. It was super humid in the room, because the carpet was wet. At first I thought the carpet had been cleaned, but the side opposite the bathroom was dry. If the kids hadn't been asleep before we arrived we would have moved. The room seemed mostly clean, but I didn't want to go looking in the corners. The room also had marks all over the walls. I will say one good thing...the bed was a comfortable one.

When we checked out my husband told them the A/C was terrible, they were quite unapologetic about it. Probably because they hear it all the time. They said they are planning on replacing them next year. Even then, next time we pass through, we'll be paying the extra money to stay at the Holiday Inn or Hilton near by.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I am truly sorry that you found your stay to be unsatisfactory. The Air Conditioners are all being updated along with several other amenities. Thank you for mentioning our great summer rates!
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

This hotel is filthy. The hallways are stained beyond belief. The carpet is the room was stained, the walls peeling. One of the beds has stains of the sheets. Every towel in the room was stained. On the way out the maids were cleaning rooms and many doors were open. I was able to see all the rooms I checked were in the same condition as mine. When I told this to front desk they said they would be renovating soon and all the beds would be new etc. I found this very interesting since we can clearly see the manager replied to other reviews stating this already happened. I stayed July 14, 2012. They also have a sign in front of the hotel advertising "Hotel Furniture Sale" coming soon. So the manager has been lying right here in writing. I also wondered why after being subjected to this filth, the front desk thought I was interested in hearing the “we’re going to be different someday” speech. It’s insulting my intelligence and wasting my time.
I am uploading photos of my room to do the talking. This hotel is a filthy, derelict dump. At first they checked me into a smoking room. When I complained they said it wasn’t a smoking room. That’s funny, because as I went down the hall I notice no smoking signs on all the doors until I got to my section. The no smoking sign was absent. The girl then said it’s "around" smoking rooms but not a smoking room itself. Whatever, they changed me to a non smoking room. It didn’t smell as bad but still stunk.
There was nothing redeeming about the room. The only thing at all decent is the lobby. Everything from there is severely downhill. This hotel is what I would expectif I checked into some old rummy hotel on top of a bar where people pay by the week with welfare money. The noise complaints from other guests are right on. You hear everything in the rooms around and above.
With so many hotels in the area I certainly will never consider this hotel again and I have personally banned the Ramada name from my choices. Fool me once shame of you. You won’t fool me twice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
This was a very unfortunate stay. Full refund offered to guest.
Tecumseh, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We came here as part of a soccer team and I was expecting to hear every cough and sigh, but things were quiet except for some beer-soaked dads coming back to their rooms at midnight. A bbq almost outside our window dispersed at 10pm, possibly by hotel staff. Unlike other team hotels we have had, our feet didn't stick to the carpet--it is possible my expectations are low.

The room was a decent size and seemed to be recently updated. The bed covers stayed on and the pillows were proper pillows, not just fluffballs.

On the down side, the a/c was noisy (which probably helped drown out other noises) and there was no plug in the bath tub.

Reception was friendly and the pool was much-enjoyed.

• Stayed June 2012
, Front Office Manager at Ramada London, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us as we always try to make teams and groups feel especially welcome and comfortable. We have been working hard to update our guestrooms and among the plans for new amenities for 2012 are new heating and cooling units that are much quieter and more energy-efficient. The hotel staff are diligent about enforcing our 10 p.m. noise policy for the courtesy of all of our guests so I am pleased to hear that the gathering near your guestroom did not persist and cause you any problems. I am glad that you enjoyed the friendly and professional service as it is truly what has separated us from our competitors for over 35 years. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next trip to the London area.

Been to Ramada London? Share your experiences!