“Great price, lovely grounds, rooms good” 5 of 5 stars

Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   551 Windermere Road, London, Ontario N5X 2T1, Canada   |
Ranked #3 of 42 Hotels in London
toronto, ON
“Great price, lovely grounds, rooms good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Although the rooms have a bit of a dorm feel, they are comfortable, clean and tastefully decorated. I stayed in an executive room (not heritage) on the ground floor- it had a very nice modern bathroom with a tub, comfortable bed, a desk, fridge, & flat-screen tv. The rooms are a bit small (I think the heritage rooms are even smaller- and don't have a tub), but it is well worth it for the price you are paying. I ate dinner at the restaurant which was tasty and well-priced, breakfast was included b/c it was the "spring escape" special- which was also good- lots of selection. The best thing about the hotel is the service- everyone- receptionist, desk staff, waiters, etc. were all super helpful and nice. Would definitely stay here again. It is located in the north end of London- close to Masonville mall and Western university campus (hospital, etc.)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay at Spencer.

I believe that our associates make all of the difference for our guests and it would appear that they did make your stay more enjoyable and memorable. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to being of service to you in the near future, and thank you for staying with us.

Derek Grimaldi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had hoped for a more central location, when looking for accomodation, but once the cab drove through the gates of ISLC we felt relieved. What splendid surroundings, like stepping into a book...or movie that takes place at a college. Room smallish but adequate, bathroom thankfully newly renovated. The general interior could do with a refurbishment, but the "wear and tear" of it rather adds to the atmosphere. Ample breakfast buffet, genuinely nice service from staff over all. To be reccommended!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay at Spencer.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the little differences that make Spencer special! We do have some renovations planned for the near future - so we will definitely be making the facility more spectacular.

We look forward to being of service to you in the near future.

Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have stayed at the Ivey Spencer now for 2 weeks going on 3 for work. I did not know what to expect at first, but it went beyond my expectations. The grounds itself are beautiful and I have spent many hours walking around the property and heritage wings and I still dont think I have seen the whole place! There are also alot of deer around the property and I even had deer right outside of my bedroom window last week, which I thought was pretty awesome.
The bedrooms are small, but the bed itself is extremley comfortable and you have all the amenities that one would need for a stay. I also loved the washrooms. Tip: The Heritage rooms have a nice glass shower where the newley renovated South Wing has clean and spacious bath tubs.
In regards to the food, I would rate it almost a 5 star. Considering how many nights I have stayed here, I still look forward to ordering off of the dinner menu! My favourite dish has been the thai stiry fry with rice noodles ( soo yummy!).
I also really enjoy the staff here, they are all very upbeat and energetic which is refreshing. I especially would like to thank Julie for all of her help. It is comforting too, knowing that there is someone at the reception desk 24/7.
Overall, I would highly recommend the Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre. It has felt like a second home for the past few weeks and actually has made the experience of being away from home alot better for me! Thanks to all the staff here for making my stay so enjoyable!

Room Tip: Heritage Rooms have a spacious, modern glass shower where the South Side Rooms have a large bathtub.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We enjoyed having you here - and I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the many amenities we have to offer.

We really do try to make Spencer a "home away from home" and the staff really do make our facility special.

Again, we thank you for staying with us - and look forward to hosting you during your next trip to London - maybe a trip for pleasure this time!

Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed here for 6 nights during the 2013 World Figure Skating Championships in London. Staff did a wonderful job taking care of us and making sure we were comfortable. Fitness facility is great and is open 24 hours a day. Rooms are small but comfortable and quiet. Lounge has a full bar and decent menu; breakfast buffet was pretty good and stayed open late. Overall, I would recommend this property for a visit to London, particularly an extended stay for an event.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your experience here at Spencer.

We really enjoyed hosting people from all over the world while they were in London for the World Figure Skating Championships. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that our facilities added to your experience.

We hope to see you during your next trip to London!

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I recently stayed at the Ivey Spencer Leadership Center while attending the World Figure Skating Championships with friends. After a scary start – it took me three calls to get my reservation dates correct and confirmed, and I was afraid I would have no room when I arrived – my stay was extremely pleasant. The weather was cold and snowy so we didn’t get to explore the outdoors, but the indoor facilities were very nice. The rooms are spacious and have been upgraded and modernized. Everything I needed was there. I have back problems, and the bed was the best bed I have ever slept in. There is a nice workout room with modern equipment that is well maintained. Loved the grapefruit, ginger infused water! There is free Wi-Fi, computers available for guest use, and lots of pleasant spaces for lounging outside of the room. I ate in the restaurant for one dinner, one lunch, daily breakfast buffet, and late night dining every night while hashing over the skating. The food was good and the servings were ample. However, what made the stay exceptional was the staff. Everyone was professional, friendly, and willing to do whatever it took to keep us happy, from the front desk, to the servers, to the management. I know they were all working extremely long hours, but you would not know it from their interactions with us. The shuttles were well organized, but the management was willing to be flexible and adjust the schedule to better accommodate those of us attending. I would like to give a special shout out to the bar staff, especially the young lady manning the bar whose name I can’t remember. With a huge crowd coming in at once from the final shuttle she always maintained a professional and pleasant demeanor, kept our orders straight, and never lost her cool. She was a rock star! I would definitely stay here again if I make it to London, Ontario

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, March 20, 2013

I am pleased to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us during the World Figure Skating Championships. We too enjoyed visiting with our many out of town/out of country guests! We tried to make your stay with us as "homey" as possible - and it sounds that our amenities helped you enjoy your stay at Spencer.

We look forward to seeing you (if you do make it back to London)!

Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

We were at the Ivey for six delightful days during the World's Figure Skating Championships in London, Ontario. Rooms and bath were spacious and immaculate. Breakfast buffet had anything and everything one could desire and was delicious. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. They even knew your name! They took care to see everyone was on the shuttle from the arena at night so no one was left behind. Everything about this hotel was just lovely and made you feel at home rather than in a hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

We greatly enjoyed visiting with our guests that stayed with us throughout the World Figure Skating Championships - and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us as well!

If you are in the London area again we hope you will stay with us!

Markham, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights. The rate was higher than one might expect due to the World Figure Skating Championships (which we were attending) being in town. As the hotel was an official sponser they had the official banners in the hotel & even delicious "skate" gingerbread cookies on the bed to welcome us on arrival. Such a nice touch! We had one dinner in the dining room. Food was excellent. Our server was VERY inexperienced but did her best & got advice where needed so the overall experience was good. We had two breakfasts which were buffet style & good but not exceptional. Our waitress went out of her way to see if it was included in our room rate & finding they were not but that we were paying top dollar, gave us free breakfast vouchers for both days. The room was not large but was nicely furnished & equipped, had all the required, was quiet & I was able to set the temperature as desired. The best part was the bed. It easily gave us the best sleep we've ever had in a hotel. The staff were all very helpful & the general tone was attentive yet relaxed. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Choose the South Wing, it's closer to the front desk & dining room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, March 18, 2013

I will make sure to share your comments regarding your experiences in our restaurant with our Food and Beverage Manager and we will strive to improve for the future.

I am glad you enjoyed your trip to London and the World Figure Skating Championships.

Derek Grimaldi

Been to Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre? Share your experiences!