“Campus living for the price of a Boutique Hotel” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   551 Windermere Road, London, Ontario N5X 2T1, Canada   |
Ranked #4 of 42 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Windsor, Canada
“Campus living for the price of a Boutique Hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

Hotwire boasted that the Ivey Spencer leadership hotel was a Boutique hotel. The Ivey Spencer hotel advertises their bathrooms as being boutique in style. Please dear reader do not be misled either description. While it is true the property is stunning and the exteriors of the historic structure are impressive. Let’s face it, especially when the weather is changing to cold and blustery, what matters for many of us reserving a hotel room is the hotel room. From the reception, we walked seven minutes through clusters of students sprawled out on furniture doing what appeared as group projects and simply milling about, perhaps warming up. On our way to our room we also passed legions of multi-tasking grey and black suits replete with mobile devices standing orderly in line for the free coffee and hot beverages offered at different locations in hotel and on the hike to the room. To the room we arrived. Fitting with the atmosphere just described, the hotel room was at best a high end dormitory offering. The coziness advertised translates into one person (size 0) having to sit on the bed for the other person (size 7/8) to walk past in the space between bed and desk. What was advertised as a pillow top mattress consisted of a sturdy, uncomfortable dormitory style mattress topped with a slab of foam. The sheets may have been 200 thread count being generous. The bathroom while obviously redone with attempts to make it appear nicely appointed was a huge disappointment in size and features. The small bottles of soaps and body lotions appeared to be half filled and one got the sense that they may have in fact been refilled. Free WiFi is available as long as you do not use Apple products and a call to the reception for advice on this matter yielded the unhelpful suggestion that we could get in line to use the public computers in the lobby. Instead, I activated the personal hotspot on my iphone so that we could make use of wireless delivered by my cellular plan during our overnight stay. The voice message system on the landline in the room was also not working and this was also confirmed by the reception. We are supposing that this hotel received a star because it has a restaurant and in the basement there is also an eatery open all day. Though we cannot speak about food or service in the basement restaurant, near the student lockers, the food in the restaurant above ground was atrocious. The Ruben was drenched with French’s yellow mustard and even so the corned beef was still dry and surprisingly tough to chew. The Caesar Salad had all the expected ingredients and yet was inedible. As consolation, we were offered the opportunity to select a dessert from the buffet table. At last, a positive was experienced. Two in fact. One, our servers noticed our barely touched meals and offered a free dessert and the second, the chocolate mint cheesecake we selected from the buffet table was phenomenal. For the price of the meal, however, that was one expensive slice of cheesecake! After our meal we dutifully trudged back to our room through the maze of conference attendees and students wondering at what point we might experience during our stay the nourishment of mind, body and spirit at Spencer. It is true we did not try the high ropes course while there. But, then, we had booked our stay for l relaxation. Some might be tempted to say we are unhappy guests and this is why we encountered so many disappointments in the hotel. In actuality, however, it was that we encountered so many disappointments in our stay, we left terribly unhappy.

Room Tip: At the end of our stay, we learned upon checking out that there are larger rooms located closer to t...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Strathroy6ontheGO, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre.

I am sorry to hear that there were aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. Our leadership team has reviewed at length your concerns and they are in the process of rectifying those issues to ensure they do not happen again.

Commencing Monday, December 5th we will be shutting down our larger Ivey guestrooms for a complete renovation, which will be completed in early January 2012.

We would welcome the opportunity to be of service to you during your next visit to the London area, and would ask that you contact me directly to assist in making the necessary arrangements.

Derek Grimaldi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

Was there for a whole week for an event. The restaurant is nicely run although there was an evening when roast was being served and the person cutting the meat said "if you want it cooked more then you HAVE TO WAIT" though there were only two other people waiting. There's a better way to say "please wait while I serve these guests." The housekeeping was just poorly run. My bill came in thrice and was inaccurate. No complimentary bath products. I was told to "leave the room" since I am not in the list when clearly I was supposed to be there for another day of paid stay. The classrooms were warm one day, cold the next. Front desk staff was mediocre. The beds were hard and the pillows practically made of air. The only good feature of the room were the soap dispensers IF they actually had soap in it. Overall a terrible experience.

Room Tip: Find a room facing the forest, it's quieter.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay with us.

Consistency and execution are key components of our delivery promise and in this case we failed to live up to that promise. We have reviewed your feedback as a team and are looking at our processes to ensure these inconsistencies do not repeat themselves.

Please feel free to reach out to me on your next visit to London as we would welcome the opportunity to be at your service again.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

If you are feeling nostalgic for university living, then this is the place for you. It is a budget operation and the room is good value for the money, although it has the look and feel of a grad student residence. The restaurant is open for breakfast only until 9 am and the university dining experience is carried through there, as well.

• Stayed November 2011
Strathroy6ontheGO, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay at Spencer. We are pleased to offer two distinct room types on property - our Heritage Guestrooms and our more spacious Ivey Guestrooms. Please feel free to contact me directly on your next visit to London as I would be pleased to offer a complimentary upgrade to one of our larger guestrooms.

We look forward to being of service to you in the near future.

Kent, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

This hotel was satisfactory. I think that they are over charging for the rooms though as they are quite expensive and not very special. The first night our room had a leak above the shower unit late at night just as we were wanting to go to sleep, the staff sorted it out quickly though. You can hear an awful lot of noise from people in the halls and in the other rooms, doors opening & closing, etc. which can be very annoying. The gym was fairly good, nice range of equipment & opened 24hrs. We liked that there was free wifi and computers to use. The free drinks in the lobby were nice too. The Starbucks coffee in the bedrooms hit the spot in the morning as well.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Strathroy6ontheGO, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your experience here at Spencer. It is through comments such as yours that we are able to evaluate our services and enhance the guest experience. The Starbucks in–room coffee program came to be as a direct result of guest feedback….we are pleased to hear you enjoyed it.

We look forward to hosting you during your next trip to London (Ontario).

Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We were attending a snow birds reunion and this was the designated hotel. It was lovely. Rooms very small and no king beds, but the rooms were newly redecorated and very clean. The executive wing has an elevator, the other wing does not. Lovely lounge areas with fresh fruit, coffee, tea and hot chocolate available all the time for guests. Staff very friendly. Beautiful grounds. Everything was very nicely maintained. DK's Grill is a must for lunch. Breakfast was included with our room and it was a beautiful full buffet. They have bicycles available for guests and trail maps. One of our reunion dinners was held at the hotel and it was very nice with excellent food. If we ever have an occasion to be in London again, we'd definitely stay there.

Room Tip: I would suggest you book a room in the newer section (executive wing).
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Midland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

For the type of hotel this was and pricepoint it was at, everything was excellent, it was as I expected.

The grounds are beautiful; London is a cool little town with lots in the area. I checked into the hotel real late 11pm and left real early (8am). It was literally somewhere to sleep en route. I will be stopping next summer for some cool events they do in town as well as some storybook kid’s park I read about in the hotel directory. I would stay again at this hotel.

The lobby was nice, the overnight man that checked me in was one of the most professional, polite and engaging I have encountered. We discussed Toronto a bit, he was familiar and I was heading there. Business during the weeks and weddings on weekends it sounds like. The room would be perfect for either. Not a large room, it had a queen bed but the desk was a huge L shape with a power strip and upper shelf. If I was there on business, this is what I am looking for. I was able to charge all of my batteries (2 cameras, DVD, 2 phones) without bending over looking for a hotel plug that is usually behind a nightstand or under a desk.

The bed was comfy with very nice linens, the towels were superb, the bathroom had nice soap collection with a great powerful high-headed shower (I’m 6’ 3”, I appreciate that little touch).

Room was very clean, had everything I needed and the hotel grounds are really pretty, nice history on the hotel. Found a standalone starbuck machine on my floor that I was able to make myself a coffee from and my daughter a hot chocolate. I also snagged an apple from the fruit displays. It appeared that those items are part of a conference lobby, but they were readily available with some lobby furniture in the area. Had 3 computers for use right there to, nice to check out some things without unloading a laptop and hooking up to hotel wifi to just check a couple things.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

I had a wonderful stay at the Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre! The room was great with a wonderful desk and a comfy bed! They had excellent fitness facilities and the location for perfect for work at UWO. There's even a shuttle to campus. Especially loved the self-serve access to Starbucks coffee. I would definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre? Share your experiences!