“wow” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
“wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

All I can say is Wow! If you are looking for unique, delicious and tantilizing appetizers this is the spot. Romantic, comfortable and delicious. Thank you Michelle and Sam this place is incredible. We will be back.

Visited June 2013

Toronto, Canada
“Nothing special”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I've been here three times and I've never been satisfied after leaving. The atmosphere is nice and the service is pretty good, but their food is nothing special. The first time I went, I got the risotto which was the worst risotto I've ever had. The rice was really strange - some bites were crunchy and undercooked, and others were so mushy it was like soup. The next two times I went, I got pastas (fettuccine and spaghetti) both which were very basic meals you could make at home for a 1/4 of the price. The only reason I go back is because my bf loves the veal though I thought it looked like prison food the first time it came out. I thought it was a one-off but he always orders it and it always looks awful. Save your money, make pasta at home!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Chester, United Kingdom
“great find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Found Casa Italian over the square from our hotel in Kingston because it was raining and we didn't want to walk far. And what a find, so much that so we booked for a meal on the second night of our visit to the town. It is an Italian restaurant which doesn't seem to do pizzas, but produces some wonderful pasta based dishes. The sweets should not be missed also. On both nights the place was full with no free tables when we were there. Maybe you should book in advance rather than go on spec to enjoy this restaurant.

Service superb, the staff, who have a love of food, remembered us when we returned on the second evening.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kingston, Canada
“I would give it 0/5 if I could”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We decided to visit the Casa Italian for dinner when our favourite restaurant (and the best in Kingston - Aqua Terra) was closed for renovations. The meal itself was reasonable (3/5 stars) but our evening was spoiled at the end when we advised our server that we would like to take the remaining 1/2 bottle of wine home. For those not from Ontario this was previously not possible until in 2007 the Liquor Licence Act was changed with the introduction of the "Take Home The Rest" Program which was designed to permit people to take home the remainder of unconsumed wine, purchased as part of a meal and to thereby reduce impaired driving. The ONLY requirement of the program is that the wine must be commercially purchased (i.e. not a homemade wine) and the establishment must "reseal" the wine = push the cork back into the bottle or screw the cap back on. There is NO OTHER REQUIREMENT to the program (see http://www.agco.on.ca/en/faqs/faqs_lla_changes.aspx)... no change to the licence is required, no additional costs for the establishment, no additional application, etc. etc. Participation in the program is entirely voluntary... but honestly, why would you deny a patron this option?? Instead, we were advised by the Manager (who either lied or was stupid) that 1) they didn't have the proper licence to permit this, 2) in order to get this licence it would cost them more money and 3) we should just drink the remainder of the wine before we drove home. In fact, at one point the Manager actually pointed to the bottle and said "There is only one thing I'm sure of... THAT bottle is not leaving this establishment!". Appalling. Totally appalling that in this era of "responsible alcohol consumption" this is the advice we would be given by an establishment potentially liable for the consequences had we overconsumed on site. This is the first restaurant in Kingston and in fact in Ontario in the last several years at which we have been denied this option. As noted, the program is voluntary, but given the near universal uptake of the "Take Home The Rest' Program, at a minimum I would expect an establishment that chooses NOT to participate in it... to advise its patrons accordingly, or at the very least to be educated to a law which is now several years old and hopefully to be able to provide a better justification to not participating other than being surly and stubborn. The only silver lining to our very frustrating experience was that we had purchased a relatively inexpensive bottle of wine. Given the very bad treatment we received, I will certainly never darken the door of this restaurant again.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ontario
“A Birthday Celebration for Me!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I was looking for an Italian restaurant for my (vegetarian) birthday dinner celebration. Too often I have been disappointed after ordering an expensive pasta dish that is no more flavourful than something I can make at home. Casa Italian DID NOT disappoint! We shared the Melanzane alla Parmigiana (Eggplant Parmesan) as an appetizer and then my husband had the Penne all Vodka and I had the Gnocchi Con Gorgonzola. Both pasta dishes were delicious! (This was way more food than we normally eat so we both ended up packing up some of our pasta to take home.) We both managed to save room for some Tiramisu, and again, I was pleasantly delighted by their version of my favourite dessert! Thank you Kelsey for being such a wonderful waitress and thank you Casa Italian for such a lovely birthday dinner!

• Visited May 2013