“Lots and Lots of Children..” 3 of 5 stars
Review of First Canada Inns

Save Saved
You added First Canada Inns to your Saves list
First Canada Inns
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 First Canada Court, Kingston, Ontario K7K 6W2, Canada   |
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Kingston
Cobourg, Canada
“Lots and Lots of Children..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Arrived a little after check in time of 3 and the room was ready. Older hotel with two floors. No elevator so if you have mobility issues make sure they know to put you on the first floor.

Pet friendly with ample green space to walk your pets.

Room was large with a king size bed and had a firm love seat style couch that was also a pull out single bed. King bed was very comfortable. If you wish a soft thinner pillow bring your own.

Window can be opened which is a bonus if you like the breeze and fresh air. Front facing rooms very close to trains as it can get kind of noisy.

If you are addicted to small hotel toiletries you are going to be disappointed. There was one small soap square for the sink. The shower had a foam soap pump dispenser on the wall. In my opinion a waste of time as you were constantly pumping to get enough foam to suds up. Towels for a king room should have been doubled as they are small and anything but absorbent. I would give up the two robes for a bath sheet or two!

This weekend was a hockey tournament and there were a lot of young children running all over the place. Indoor pool available. I was informed that the youth groups were advised and signed a curfew agreement. After nine there was not a peep to be heard except for the adult chaperons letting off some steam. The office made quick work on that gathering.

Coffee maker in the room. Cord so short it wasn't even plugged in and I ended up putting it on the floor near an outlet to get power. Should be placed and plugged in before hand by housekeeping instead of going on a search by oneself.

Not a bad breakfast included. Oh and the margarine in a large tub looks like cream cheese... as I found out by putting far too much on my bagel. ;)

WiFi had a good strong signal. Vending machines were hit and miss. One on the second floor was not working. One by the front desk not working. Front desk did have snacks and pop for sale.

All in all not a bad place even with some of the concerns expressed. I would’t hesitate to return.

Lots of eateries within walking distance. Across the road is East Side Mario’s and Harvey’s (hamburger/fries etc), I also saw within walking distance a Star Bucks, Arby’s, McDonald’s, AW, Tim’s, Wendy’s, and a large pharmacy Shopper’s Drug Mart.

Room Tip: Stay away from stair wells as they can be noisy. Front facing rooms are close to a rail line and als...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
HotelManager44, Manager at First Canada Inns, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you for your review! We appreciate your compliments and we will also take your suggestions and see what can be done to make your next stay 100% delightful! it's great that you have found a preference in room location and we will always strive to accommodate your requests. Feel free to email me personally when coming back to Kingston. We look forward to seeing you again!

taylor@first-canada-inns.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Oshawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I was embarrassed being the Manager of our soccer team to have booked this hotel. These are the issues I emailed to our booking agent so they are aware to take this hotel off their site.
We would NEVER, EVER recommend First Canada Inn for this tournament and as a Manager I would recommend you take this hotel off of your site. The issues we had were as follows:
- we had to pay for our rooms upon registration the first night (now I know why!!!)
- Managers room was not even secure when we entered it- room was unlocked. This was reported to the front desk.
- the facility was UNCLEAN- Period.
- one of our rooms had to be fully re-cleaned and a complaint made to the hotel manager (who was not helpful to the hotel staff dealing with our complaints) when the sheets on the bed were found to be covered in mold and dried blood stains. We did take photos of this and the parent who rented the room will be forwarding her complaint to their Head Office.
- another room the fridge had stopped working and leaked all over the carpet giving the room a very musty moldy smell that should have been addressed by the cleaning staff- it was VERY noticeable. Girls had to be moved to another room.
- refuse and garbage under the beds and behind night tables
- no hair dryers in the rooms- we had to ask for one at the front desk and there were not enough for all the rooms in the hotel???
- no complimentary bottles of shampoo and conditioner- there was a dispenser on the wall with some body wash/ shampoo that didn't even clean your hands.
- no Kleenex in many rooms/ no extra toilet paper in bathrooms.
- outside of the hotel was dirty, unkept and garbage was all over the back of the building.
- parking was terrible.
* the one positive is the hotel is very close to all amenities and the owners should take advantage of this.
I will be placing a formal complaint to the First Canada Inns Head Office as well.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you very much for posting your review. I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your visit recently and would like the opportunity to discuss this with you if you wish. It is First Canada Inns policy to take payment upon check-in so there is no need to check out in the morning, you can just leave at your leisure. Unlike other hotels our amenities such as hair dryers, irons and ironing boards are available for no charge at the Front Desk as opposed to in the rooms, I’m sorry they were not available to you when you needed one. We have also addressed the cleanliness issues you have described, we have purchased new sheets, towels etc. and have spoken with our head housekeeper as well as our other housekeeping supervisors and we have put new procedures in place to ensure that this does not happen again. You expect clean when you enter a hotel room, and unfortunately we did not meet your needs, I am truly sorry and it should not happen again. I’m sorry you and your team had this experience with us, hopefully we can welcome you back at another time. Please contact me directly if you wish to plan another visit to First Canada Inns Kingston.

CANADA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

This may be the worst hotel we have ever stayed at. I wouldn't know where to start with the complaints...dirty,smelly,horrible service and excuse after excuse for everything....All for $115 night? Ridiculous! This "hotel" is MARGINALLY $60/night. If you want to waste your money, stay here. If I could rate a -10 on it, I would! Do yourself a favour, if you are thinking of this place, sleep in your car! DO NOT believe their pictures of this place. Must be photoshopped!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much for posting your review. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission. Unfortunately the weekend you stayed with us was very busy in Kingston and our price was very competitive. All of our photos on our website are our own and nothing is doctored. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly to discuss your stay. I am truly sorry that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. Hopefully we can welcome you back at another time.

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Stayed here with team during soccer tourney. Rooms are old and dated with the exception of new televisions. Cleaning is non existent in rooms. Complaints were made about blood stained sheets that stuck together. And moldy sheets. Numerous beer cans found in room we just arrived in and a layer of crud on floor. First hotel I have ever stayed in that did not have soap and shampoo in bathroom. It had a foam that came out of the dispenser in shower.
Lots of good places to eat around but with the Holiday inn and mariott just down the street I can't reccomend this place to anyone. Avoid like the plague!

Stayed July 2014
Thank you very much for posting your review. I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your visit recently and would like the opportunity to discuss this with you if you wish. Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission. We have also addressed the cleanliness issues you have described, and assure you and any future guest of our property there is nothing to worry about. We have had many updates to our rooms as of late including the new 40” Flat Screen TVs, new linens, new mattresses, new headboards, all rooms equipped with a fridge, microwave, coffeemaker and free wireless internet. Certainly what you and your team encountered is not the norm at our property. I do appreciate your comments and we are always looking for ways to improve our facility and our service. Hopefully we can welcome you back at another time. Please contact me directly so that we can plan your next visit to First Canada Inns Kingston.

Cornwall
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed for a hockey tournament June 2014
Dryer caught on fire, halls stunk of smoke. Staff argued that the smell wasn't that bad. Several fruit flies in the room, dog foot prints on the bed sheets (we don't have a dog).
Took dirty towels and didn't leave any clean ones.
No room service unless asked for. Overflowing garbage in outside cans. Overcharge for what you get. Charged about $135 a night taxes in. Should be more like $75 a night. Two thumbs down. Don't stay here.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking a moment to express your concerns. I would have loved to have had the opportunity to address your concerns while you were here with us, however, I would still love to explore them with you further. Certainly what you encountered is not the norm at our property.

Please be sure to email me personally.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Very central located. Quick access to the 401 highway or going to downtown Kingston. Several restaurants / fast food eateries nearby. Staff are very friendly and the room includes an acceptable continental breakfast in the morning. Beds are comfortable and the rooms very clean. Very good value for the money.

Room Tip: Parking is a bit of a problem as many construction trades people stay here do to work on the 401 hig...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for evaluating your stay and for your nice compliments! it was a pleasure having you stay with us and we look forward to your next visit! Keep well!

Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Front desk staff was great upon check-in and check-out. Stayed in room 104, superior King room, near the pool. Bed and pillows were comfortable. Swimming pool was clean and inviting. Nicely heated. The hot tub was less than desirable which is a shame because the hot tub was one of the selling points for me when choosing this hotel. It was really foamy and the foam was full of brown sludge/dirt. Total turn off.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m glad you chose to stay with us again and I will definitely pass along your kind words to our Front Desk Staff, they will certainly appreciate it. I’m glad your room was fresh and comfortable and I’m truly sorry that the hot tub was not up to par. The levels are managed by our staff that check it ever 2 hours to ensure it is safe for use. We have looked into it and can assure you it is sparkling. If you come back to our hotel I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me (Taylor). We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

taylor@first-canada-inns.com

Been to First Canada Inns? Share your experiences!