“Excellent Food, Great Service and Suitable prices ” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 369 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish, Fusion, Tapas
Dining options: Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Excellent Food, Great Service and Suitable prices ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I am a local here in Kingston and I do not have enough good things to say about this restaurant!

Company: 2 females (mid 20s) and a baby

Occasion: Birthday dinner

Food: I won't get the exact names right but the tapas consisted of:
Mushrooms and toasted baguette- this dish was so flavourful and delicious! I definitely recommend this one. The only thing I would've changed is a couple more pieces of baguette because it pairs so well with the mushrooms and you get a plentiful amount of mushrooms. I didn't ask about getting more though...

Meatballs: Sadly, I barely had a chance to eat these as my son gobbled them right up! Of what I did taste, their were excellent! They were covered in a fresh tomato sauce and also served with a pita like bread. The whole plate was delicious! I have no way to improve the dish.

Calamari: The calamari tasted as expected but the garlic aioli type sauce was the real kicker. Delicious, flavourful and really, my friend and I could not get enough.

Poutine: Seemingly hand cut fries, large curds of cheese, tender meat all smothered in a deliciously peppery, rich gravy. This dish was undoubtedly my favourite!

Dessert: My friend had the creme brûlée and said it was delicious. I had these dessert type fries with chocolate sauce. I am still dreaming of that dessert!! The "fries" had a cinnamon taste with a crunch. Mmmm - so good!!!

As for other evaluations:

Service: Amazing. Our server always approached our table with a smile. She was prompt and friendly and knew the menu inside and out and was happy to answer our questions and offer recommendations. She even brought a glass of water for my son with a straw without me even having to ask. There was also a man, who I assume was the owner who was very friendly and engaging with my son. When I called the restaurant ahead of time to check if they had high chairs and they said they only had one, I thought they might be a little disappointed my little one was ruining the "chic" atmosphere. When I arrived, that was not the case at all!!! They were very friendly and welcoming to both my son and I.

Atmosphere: I love it. I haven't been to Spain so I can't speak for the Spanish vibe but the restaurant reminded me of a chic restaurant along the coast of Italy. The lighting is perfect, the tables are solid, seating is comfortable and the exposed limestone all really give the restaurant an awesome vibe. They also have a chalk board up with all of the various local food and wine producers they utilize. I loved this because it was so nice to see my food came from local farms.

I can't speak for the wine though as I'm pregnant - but I'm sure it would be great. This restaurant would not disappoint.

London, Canada
“Tasty Tapas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the tapas along with a nice Spanish red wine. This was our first visit to Tango Nuevo but we've had tapas-style meals before and love trying the small plates of various items. The meal becomes more of a casual but fun experience comparing notes on one dish while you anticipate the next.

We had a taster of tapenades, calamari, vegetable empanadas, polenta, mushrooms, and the avocado frites. All very good. Personally I would add a small dish of the garlic aioli in addition to the tomato-based sauce with the avocado . . . the combination of switching back and forth between the two sauces was really good.

Enjoyable meal, great service, and a really nice atmosphere inside and out on the patio.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Had dinner on the 4th of July weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

All the tapas dishes are great.

Must try tapas: Carne Picante, Pan Seared Pickerel, Pan Seared Scallops

Visited July 2014
“Amazing Anniversary Dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We had a phenomenal dinner, where we just walked in off the street without a reservation and enjoyed the terrasse. Fresh food, amazing and vibrant flavours! Tapas with martinis, rounded off with the gelato cake was a perfect couple's evening out! Alex was an amazing and delightful waitress that made it all that much more special. We will be coming back!

Kingston, Canada
“Share small plates with friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Tango Neuvo is a big improvement over the places that previously occupied the space at 331 King Street.

The decor is lovely--stone and brick walls, wooden tables, part of the eating area elevated over the rest of the restaurant. There is also a pleasant patio out the front. It is on King Street, which can be noisy, but is also a lively place to sit if you want to be outside. There are also big windows along the front that can be left open--so some people have the dual advantage being inside the restaurant but exposed to the summer air.

More and more, I'm beginning to realize how much the training of a restaurant's waitstaff reflects the restaurant's core values and commitments. Service at Tango is attentive, prompt, friendly, and helpful--without being too pushy or obsequious.

I'm usually not keen about loud music at a restaurant, but for some reason Tango's music adds to the ambiance rather than subtracting from it. In various visits to Tango I have heard everything from Spanish flamenco to 50s rock--and enjoyed it all. Someone is doing a good job of matching the music to the time of day (or night) and the atmosphere of the crowd.

It really is a pleasure to share several small plates with a group. Tango's specials of the evening are very often worth ordering. For example, at my most recent visit, the special was four small slices of pickerel on top of exquisite mounds of flavourful mashed potatoes.

When I'm at Tango, we also often order the Plato Mezclado, which includes sweet potato fries, grilled shrimps, vegetable empanadas (hard to describe, but seems like pureed vegetables inside a fried jacket), and corn chips with a choice of guacamole or hummus dip. The whole thing is addictive.

Another great feature of Tango is that it is possible to sample a variety of food, and have a filling meal, without spending an inordinate amount of money. I was very pleasantly surprised to find how reasonable the bill was at my most recent visit.

I'm usually a white wine fan, but Tango carries Sandbanks' Baco Noir, which I strongly recommend. Many of the wines on their wine list are available by the glass, by the quarter liter, by the half liter, and by the bottle. This is great, because it enables guests to choose the amount they want, and a diverse group can choose several different kinds of wine.

The one concern I have about Tango is that it is difficult to find food that is not fried. I admit; I enjoy their fried tapas, and I often order them. But I would order more items that are not fried if there were more of them. (I should note that I do not eat meat, so that limits my choices somewhat.)

I strongly recommend Tango! It's a local restaurant with a lot of character.

• Visited June 2014